• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man made global warming is a hoax

Logical1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Research shows that there is 35 billion tons of CO2 produced my man every year.

The total weight of the Atmosphere is 5.5 quadrillion tons.

Dividing 35 billion by 5.5 quadrillion come out to .000006

So made made CO2 compared to the whole earths atmosphere is 6 parts in a million. That is such a small amount that it is meaningless.

So lets stop the BS about man made global warming.

So made made CO2 compared to the whole earths atmosphere is 6 parts in a million. That is such a small amount that it is meaningless.

I was thinking your number might be off, but ran the numbers for oil, and came up with ~16 billion tones of CO2 from
36.4 billion barrels of oil per year. I could see the 35 billion tons of CO2 being fairly accurate.
That said the CO2 level has been increasing by between 2 and 3 ppm per year, and that will cause some warming,
but not the catastrophic warming predicted.
We also have the problem in that I do not think we can sustain this level of oil output for very long.

Another climate scientist! They are coming out of the woodwork!

Yeah still going to trust the people with science degrees on this one over the Trump supporters, who seemingly just don't want liberals to be right about anything. Probably because they've been brainwashed into hating them by candidates, PACs and "news" organizations paid for by oil companies (and other companies that want low taxes/deregulation).

In any event, I see stats that global CO2 concentration has increased by 45% just since the industrial revolution, and we are on track to emit about 4 times as much over the next 100 years. Doesn't sound like nothing to me. Also, isn't like half of the CO2 we produce dissolved into the oceans, rather than in the atmosphere? This is demonstrably leading to the ice caps melting, and the ice caps moderate global temperatures. Also, since the oceans determine things like rain that would seem to be a more important focus. But I'm no scientist.

Yeah still going to trust the people with science degrees on this one over the Trump supporters, who seemingly just don't want liberals to be right about anything. Probably because they've been brainwashed into hating them by candidates, PACs and "news" organizations paid for by oil companies (and other companies that want low taxes/deregulation).

In any event, I see stats that global CO2 concentration has increased by 45% just since the industrial revolution, and we are on track to emit about 4 times as much over the next 100 years. Doesn't sound like nothing to me. Also, isn't like half of the CO2 we produce dissolved into the oceans, rather than in the atmosphere? This is demonstrably leading to the ice caps melting, and the ice caps moderate global temperatures. Also, since the oceans determine things like rain that would seem to be a more important focus. But I'm no scientist.
Rather that pull some vague quote from somewhere, put some numbers to it.
CO2 levels have increased from 280 to 412 ppm in the last 170 years, and are currently increasing at between 2 and 3 ppm per year.
This has been the rate of growth for the last 20 years.
When you say we are on track to emit 4 times as much in the next 100 years,
do you mean 4 times 132 ppm already emitted by 2121?
So 132 times 4 equals 528 ppm or 5.28 ppm per year, more than double recent emissions.
The real question is how sensitive is our climate to added CO2?
We have an energy problem, not a CO2 problem!
Our planet cannot support the current population without a usable way of carrying energy around.
Hydrocarbon fuels, have allowed the massive increase in agriculture, that feeds the billions alive today.
We must have a replacement that is equally as energy dense, to be sustainable, much less move forward.
Solving our energy problem, will solve any issues that may exist with CO2, as a side effect.

Another climate scientist! They are coming out of the woodwork!
As they say liars figure, but figures dont lie. Instead of a snotty swipe at me, prove those figures wrong.

While there maybe and increase in CO2, blame mother nature, not man.

Just more gross calculation that proves nothing.
Your lack of observation is astounding!
That you find calculations gross, is also telling!

Ahhh, so refreshing! An argument based on your personal incredulity of "small numbers"! Brilliant!

You DO realize there are things that have BIG EFFECTS at SMALL AMOUNTS, right? Right? I can think, off hand, of a couple dozen poisons that can kill person of 100kg at the milligram level.

But the most refreshing thing about your argument is your apparent lack of understanding of your own planet! That CO2 you think is so meaningless? Yeah, it's a KNOWN greenhouse gas and we have pretty good estimates of how much a doubling of that CO2 level will move the temperature. AND we know that it's only a couple degrees C global average difference between what our species is used to and a completely different world which, if we were to jump into it quickly, we wouldn't be able to adapt to fast enough to avoid collapsing our societies and economies.

But, by all means, DO TELL us about the tiny tiny numbers.

Your lack of observation is astounding!
That you find calculations gross, is also telling!

He was using the word "gross" in the "large and oversimplified/overextended" sense.

But, kudos for yet again attacking his use of common words and phrases.

While there maybe and increase in CO2, blame mother nature, not man.

Oh so you are unfamiliar with ISOTOPES? Yeah, the relative amount of 13-C to 12-C (those are two isotopes of carbon) in atmospheric CO2 as pretty stable for thousands upon thousands of years until the mid 19th century when suddenly the amount of 12-C (the lighter isotope) began to increase. Exactly as one would expect from the mass burning of fossil/vegetal fuels.

Wow. IT's like SCIENCE IS REAL and your posts don't appear to be aware of it!

He was using the word "gross" in the "large and oversimplified/overextended" sense.

That is the dangers of using subjective language! BTW, I did not know you were a mind reader!

I just got tired of telling Longview to get out a dictionary. Thank you for following up.

As they say liars figure, but figures dont lie. Instead of a snotty swipe at me, prove those figures wrong.
You need to cite your sources. You can't just spout off numbers and demand to be proven wrong.
Your numbers might well be right but don't expect to have your word taken for it. You didn't do the research.

edit- not "Watts up with that?". The retired weatherman who runs that site quotes unqualified bloggers all the time.

Feel free to attempt to prove what his numbers wrong!
Feel free to quote the source for those numbers.
Hint- if It's " Watts up with that?" it'll be scrutinized very carefully. That site quotes unqualified bloggers all the time.

That's not what climate scientists worldwide say.
Present some of your "climate scientist" like Gore and the 16 year old girl with these numbers, and have them try to explain their way out of them.

Every science agency on earth disagrees with you
No not every one of them. There are still a lot of common sense people in the world that is not driven by politics.

Back
Top Bottom