• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man jailed for beating up his childhood rapist

Solace

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
To be honest, if I was raped by a pedophile as a child, I would probably do far worse than just beat up the guy.

SAN JOSE, Calif. – William Lynch's life spiraled out of control in the 35 years since he alleges he and his brother were molested by a Jesuit priest: He struggled with depression, had nightmares and tried to kill himself twice.

Authorities believe that anger and pain erupted when Lynch lured the Rev. Jerold Lindner to the lobby of his Jesuit retirement home by pretending he had news of a death in the priest's family and beat him severely in front of shocked witnesses.

Lynch, 43, was arrested Friday and booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon for the May 10 attack. He was allowed to post $25,000 bail and will plead not guilty at an arraignment sometime next month, his attorney, Pat Harris, told The Associated Press.

Lynch punched the 65-year-old priest repeatedly in the face and body after Lindner said he didn't recognize Lynch during a confrontation at the Jesuits' Sacred Heart retirement home in Los Gatos, said Sgt. Rick Sung, Santa Clara County sheriff's spokesman.

Read more: Alleged abuse victim arrested in priest's beating - Yahoo! News

To be honest, if I was raped by a pedophile as a child, I would probably do far worse than just beat up the guy.

The priest got what he deserved. Period. My wish would be to be on a jury, because I would be open to any tactic of jury nullification by the man's attorney.

I agree. He would be stealing some other guy's "payback". :mrgreen:

That's in pretty poor taste, Dana. It's not like the "pedophile priest problem" even implicates 1% of them.

We don't know a lot here. Were charges ever filed? Was an accusation even made?
It is entirely possible that the attacker is just a nut job who fixated on someone innocent as the scapegoat for his problems. We have no sure knowlege that this priest did anything to this man.

Yeah, if it actually happened as he claims then I have a lot of sympathy for the guy, but I'd need to see some evidence that this isn't just some whackjob who is out of his head.

Well, I certainly hope he was 100% sure he beat up the right person. Even so, we have a justice system for a reason, and resorting to this kind of violence with someone who is clearly no longer a threat is wrong.
What a 65 year old man cannot molest a child any longer? I beg to differ.

Jon David Woody, 65, faces a total of 25 counts of child molestation and sexual assault charges stemming from allegations in 2008 by the girls, three of whom he met through the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Monterey County, according to authorities. Woody is a former volunteer with the organization.

Jury trial begins for north Monterey County man accused in child molestation | thecalifornian.com | The Salinas Californian

That's not what I meant. I meant the old man is obviously no longer a threat to this adult who decided to beat him senseless.
I think this man has been a threat to this young man life every since he molested him. You dont think everytime this man tries suicide its not a direct threat against his life because of what this man has done to him? Too bad he didnt do the world a favor by walking up to him and put a hole dead center of his forehead.

William Lynch's life spiraled out of control in the 35 years since he alleges he and his brother were molested by a Jesuit priest: He struggled with depression, had nightmares and tried to kill himself twice.
... Good for him? If he is the rapist, I hope the man got a few good kicks in there and it's a shame he left him alive :shrug:

I have no sympathy for any but the two victims who were abused as a child, I hope the Jury takes it easy on him

I think this man has been a threat to this young man life every since he molested him. You dont think everytime this man tries suicide its not a direct threat against his life because of what this man has done to him? Too bad he didnt do the world a favor by walking up to him and put a hole dead center of his forehead.

Oh, I see. You're one of those. Yeah, okay then, have fun with your vigilante hero worship. :lol:

That's in pretty poor taste, Dana. It's not like the "pedophile priest problem" even implicates 1% of them.

We don't know a lot here. Were charges ever filed? Was an accusation even made?
It is entirely possible that the attacker is just a nut job who fixated on someone innocent as the scapegoat for his problems. We have no sure knowlege that this priest did anything to this man.

Yeah, if it actually happened as he claims then I have a lot of sympathy for the guy, but I'd need to see some evidence that this isn't just some whackjob who is out of his head.

seems the victim received a large settlement from the church. you can understand the pain, and the rage, but that doesn't give him the right to break the law.

Oh, I see. You're one of those. Yeah, okay then, have fun with your vigilante hero worship. :lol:
Oh I see your one of those that thinks a man that commits sexual acts against a child deserves a break because they abused a child 30 years ago.

I wonder if you were that child or your child, would you still think the same way. Or more like, you would find forgiveness and offer up yourself or child for more abuse.

Oh I see your one of those that thinks a man that commits sexual acts against a child deserves a break because they abused a child 30 years ago.

I wonder if you were that child or your child, would you still think the same way. Or more like, you would find forgiveness and offer up yourself or child for more abuse.

No, I'd beat the **** out of the son of a bitch too, but then I'd live with the consequences of what I did. Unlike your vigilante hero who obviously thinks he should get a pass for breaking the law. I don't know about your world, but in the reality I live in, you can't just go around bashing people's heads in unless it's self-defense. And no, this was in no way, shape or form, self-defense.

The priest got what he deserved. Period. My wish would be to be on a jury, because I would be open to any tactic of jury nullification by the man's attorney.

Jury nullification is the sole responsibility of the jury. Attorneys cannot open a discussion on a jury's right to nullify.

No, I'd beat the **** out of the son of a bitch too, but then I'd live with the consequences of what I did. Unlike your vigilante hero who obviously thinks he should get a pass for breaking the law. I don't know about your world, but in the reality I live in, you can't just go around bashing people's heads in unless it's self-defense. And no, this was in no way, shape or form, self-defense.
My vigilante hero? Lame........I said he should have put a hole in his head because unlike you, I believe anyone that does harm, esp rape, against a child should be shot on sight.

So you are saying that you would plead guilty of whatever charges they booked you on? ......please stop with your BS utter nonsense.

My vigilante hero? Lame........I said he should have put a hole in his head because unlike you, I believe anyone that does harm, esp rape, against a child should be shot on sight.

So you are saying that you would plead guilty of whatever charges they booked you on? ......please stop with your BS utter nonsense.

Why would I plead not guilty for something I know I damn well did? What kind of freak society are you advocating here anyway? We might as well do away with cops, judges, trials and juries right now. Let's all take matters into our own hands, shall we?

Gimme a freaking break.

Oh so you're one of those, Yeah, okay then, have fun with your victimhood and timid roll over on your back and piss yourself submissivism. :thumbs:

I understand why the guy did what he did, but taking the law into his own hands and victimizing his abuser - and thus perpetuating the cycle of abuse - is not the way to go. True justice does not involve revenge. If he had a genuine case against the priest he should have gone about it another way. Kudos to him though for confronting his abuser to his face... that takes guts. I just don't condone the violent action as it doesn't accomplish anything.

Back
Top Bottom