• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man In The High Castle

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I apologize if there was a thread about this show but I could not find it. I just discovered this and am halfway through season three. This is drop dead amazing. Easily the best thing on TV today. It even surpasses what the Brits have done with PEAKY BLINDERS which is also amazing.

Anybody else watch this?

I apologize if there was a thread about this show but I could not find it. I just discovered this and am halfway through season three. This is drop dead amazing. Easily the best thing on TV today. It even surpasses what the Brits have done with PEAKY BLINDERS which is also amazing.

Anybody else watch this?

I tried the first season and somewhere it lost me. Same as a book, in that if I don’t get grabbed in the first few chapters, it is very hard for me to revisit the book/series.

Anybody else watch this?

Yes, I was enjoying it to a degree, but my wife and I found it far too bleak to watch regularly. Our show-watching time is relatively limited, and so we watch things a little bit more uplifting. Like "Always Sunny in Philadelphia." :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Anybody else watch this?

Good, yes. Very good. But IMHO nothing reaches the level of Peaky Blinders.

OK, wait. Love/Hate blows Peaky Blinders out of the water except for reasons unknown the UK/Netflix agreement ended a continuation of the series.

My wife and I love it, pretty much the only show we come close to binge watching. Unfortunately that means we have to wait a ver long time for the next season

Anybody else watch this?

I thought the first season was good, but lost interest.

If you like alternative histories, 1983 on Netflix is incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Is8d_FnMTg

Good, yes. Very good. But IMHO nothing reaches the level of Peaky Blinders.

OK, wait. Love/Hate blows Peaky Blinders out of the water except for reasons unknown the UK/Netflix agreement ended a continuation of the series.

So tell me about LOVE HATE. I am not aware of it.

My wife and I love it, pretty much the only show we come close to binge watching. Unfortunately that means we have to wait a ver long time for the next season

Great!!!! I wonder how long we will have to wait? Its so cool to watch thirty episodes over a weeks time.

Man in the High Castle is a terrific show, I cannot wait for the next season.

Great!!!! I wonder how long we will have to wait? Its so cool to watch thirty episodes over a weeks time.

I am not sure that either the human mind or the human body is designed for binge watching, yet that is what we do.

So tell me about LOVE HATE. I am not aware of it.

Excellent contemporary Irish series involving 20 and 30 something year old lads from the inner city who grow from poor to overrich due to their ascendence in the local drug trade. Well written, well directed, good acting, violent as ****. Believable. Great plot.

Character development from likable to drug addled insane.

Man in the High Castle is a terrific show, I cannot wait for the next season.

I notice that in the third season there are lots of OHMYGAWD moments much more so than the first 2 years. What they did in the finale of season 3 just brought a tear to me eye.

Excellent contemporary Irish series involving 20 and 30 something year old lads from the inner city who grow from poor to overrich due to their ascendence in the local drug trade. Well written, well directed, good acting, violent as ****. Believable. Great plot.

Character development from likable to drug addled insane.

Oh well - for a hot minute there I had a new series to binge watch. I have a thing about drug oriented movies. I simply despise them and do not watch them out of moral conviction.

Anybody else watch this?

Really? I read the book and liked it.

Tried the first few episodes of season 1 and couldnt get thru it.

I wanted to...what do you like about it? Has it really developed a great deal from the beginning?

They filmed some scenes for it here in town.

Oh well - for a hot minute there I had a new series to binge watch. I have a thing about drug oriented movies. I simply despise them and do not watch them out of moral conviction.

On Netflix the Brit series Bodyguard is very well done and most bingable. Excellent plot. You won't figure it out. A Brit vet with PSTD and a resulting rocky marriage becomes the personal bodyguard to the Home Secretary right before **** hits the fan. Apparently the series was so well received they've begun to film the next series.

One of my favorites on Netflix is Hap and Leonard. I can't say enough good things about it. Two men in contemporary Texas, hard times, lifetime friends, one black and one white. Good people trying to get by and trying to do the right thing when **** goes sideways - a lot. Great characters. Humorous at times. Three or four seasons so far.

I'm thinking of trying The Wire. Have you seen that?

It's very highly rated.

Really? I read the book and liked it.

Tried the first few episodes of season 1 and couldnt get thru it.

I wanted to...what do you like about it? Has it really developed a great deal from the beginning?

They filmed some scenes for it here in town.

What I like about it is

1- have always been a fan of WHAT IF alternate history and this is the prize of all scenarios
2- a great cast and writing which produces high quality
3 - a great blending of reality (or alternate reality) and science fiction without the sci-fi being too over the top

I envy you that they filmed some scenes by you. Did you get to watch or anything like that? Grab me a poster from a wall. ;)

On Netflix the Brit series Bodyguard is very well done and most bingable. Excellent plot. You won't figure it out. A Brit vet with PSTD and a resulting rocky marriage becomes the personal bodyguard to the Home Secretary right before **** hits the fan. Apparently the series was so well received they've begun to film the next series.

One of my favorites on Netflix is Hap and Leonard. I can't say enough good things about it. Two men in contemporary Texas, hard times, lifetime friends, one black and one white. Good people trying to get by and trying to do the right thing when **** goes sideways - a lot. Great characters. Humorous at times. Three or four seasons so far.

Thanks much for those recommendations. I do appreciate it.

I'm thinking of trying The Wire. Have you seen that?

It's very highly rated.

Yes - lots of folks who I respect love THE WIRE. I simply have a loathing for drug stuff. Its just my own personal taboo.

I really loved the first season of THE KNICK... great hospital drama set a hundred years ago... but then it became about drugs and addiction and I just left it on the side of the read in early second season.

Its just a quirk with me.

Also have not heard of 1983. What is it about?

It is set in 2003 in Poland. 20 years prior to that, in 1983, there was a series of terrorist attacks in Poland that changed the course of history. The Cold War never ended, and Poland is still a communist country. The show follows a law student and police inspector as they undercover a conspiracy to start a revolution.

What I like about it is

1- have always been a fan of WHAT IF alternate history and this is the prize of all scenarios
3 - a great blending of reality (or alternate reality) and science fiction without the sci-fi being too over the top

I envy you that they filmed some scenes by you. Did you get to watch or anything like that? Grab me a poster from a wall. ;)

Maybe I should have stuck with it longer, I only got thru about 3 episodes.

No, I didnt watch any filming. When I was a park ranger in Central Park, back in the day, I saw loads of filming, met people, etc, usually was added security. So that really doesnt have alot of appeal for me.

Favorite: hanging out with Tommy Lee Jones when he filmed The Park Is Mine. However at the same time, I was trying to pick up one of the "Movie Unit" cops...he was ex-SWAT. The previous mayor had disbanded the SWAT team because they were too violent or something and they all got to pick cherry jobs in other units. I told this guy I would have picked mounted patrol. Ahhhh, memories.

Yes - lots of folks who I respect love THE WIRE. I simply have a loathing for drug stuff. Its just my own personal taboo.

I really loved the first season of THE KNICK... great hospital drama set a hundred years ago... but then it became about drugs and addiction and I just left it on the side of the read in early second season.

Its just a quirk with me.

I love hospital dramas, I have the 1st 10 seasons of ER on DVD.

Is the Knick on Netflix?

One reason I havent started the Wire is because of the violence. I tend to be watching this stuff right before bed and I dont like to go to sleep on that kind of violence.

I can recommend Suits. I also love legal dramas. LA Law, Boston Legal, The Good Wife.

I binge watched 7 seasons of Suits this fall. It's more like a soap opera set in an elite law office but somehow it reeled me in. Really liked it, even tho it took quite a bit of stretching the imagination.

What I like about it is

I agree with you... I'll add something else. It's the attention to detail.... there was a scene from Season 2 where Juliana was outside Joe's apartment and I noticed she had a funny walk. It was a barely noticeable hitch in her step. But then I remembered from Season 1, that the character had broken her pelvis a year or so before the show began.... I thought it was pretty awesome how the actress had incorporated such a minor detail that happened in her character's past in such a subtle way. That's some pretty amazing physical acting.

Back
Top Bottom