• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Man in Hat" arrested as 4 others are arrested today

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
_86854055_mohamed_abrini_01.jpg

The key remaining suspect in November's Paris terror attacks, Mohamed Abrini, has been arrested in Belgium, prosecutors have confirmed.
Belgian media say Abrini is also likely to be the "man in the hat" seen on CCTV before bomb blasts in the Brussels airport departure hall on 22 March.
Five arrests were made on Friday. One suspect, Osama K, will be investigated over the bomb attack on the metro that followed the airport bombing. Link.

Good news, but the picture below shows the intertwined network which is undoubtedly larger than we know now.

_89145085_graphic.png

I'm still at a loss to understand why a 'non-suicidal' terrorist would go along on a 'suicide' mission?

Peer pressure.
I was thinking more along the lines of first-hand monitoring of the logistics and their results, in order to better refine the plan in the future. But that seems too risky (as can be seen by his subsequent capture).

I'm still at a loss to understand why a 'non-suicidal' terrorist would go along on a 'suicide' mission?

To be able to report back.

Good news, but the picture below shows the intertwined network which is undoubtedly larger than we know now.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
_89145085_graphic.png
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well good. It's like they got an entire cell. Sentencing will be very interesting. If it's not handled right, then I see a hostage exchange looming.

I was thinking more along the lines of first-hand monitoring of the logistics and their results, in order to better refine the plan in the future. But that seems too risky (as can be seen by his subsequent capture).

If it is him and if the man in the hat is a terrorist. But you are right. A body camera would be less dangerous and watching from a distance would work arguably better as the surveyor could keep a better perspective.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
_89145085_graphic.png
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I like his hat.

If it is him and if the man in the hat is a terrorist. But you are right. A body camera would be less dangerous and watching from a distance would work arguably better as the surveyor could keep a better perspective.
And (perhaps) better anonymity!

Field Director(s).

Making sure that the field agents (martyrs-to-be) don't falter. Peer pressure as Kevin rightly states.

Coaxing, bullying, comforting, encouraging, succouring all the way. Which can only be done by virtually rubbing shoulders. Until the very last minute.

There's cases in Iraq where they (unknown to the "martyr") have an additional remote ignition wired into the explosives pack. Just to make sure, should cold feet arise at the very last moment.

Field Director(s).

Making sure that the field agents (martyrs-to-be) don't falter. Peer pressure as Kevin rightly states.

Coaxing, bullying, comforting, encouraging, succouring all the way.

There's cases in Iraq where they (unknown to the "martyr") have an additional remote ignition wired into the explosives pack. Just to make sure should cold feet arise at the very last moment.
Well, that does make sense I suppose

But then the FM's risking the entire organization by exposing himself to capture and interrogation.

It seems to me the whole idea in these things is for the perps on the scene going-up-in-smoke, leaving little evidence and no chance of interrogation.

The hat guy & his org now got a big problem.

Well, that does make sense I suppose

But then the FM's risking the entire organization by exposing himself to capture and interrogation.

It seems to me the whole idea in these things is for the perps on the scene going-up-in-smoke, leaving little evidence and no chance of interrogation.

The hat guy & his org now got a big problem.
Well that's the occupational hazard of field directors. Hence the "field" in the name. If they were running an operation from the office (or some other more distant location and be it the car outside) they'd be of little supportive use to the actual operatives. They're not as expendable as the actual suiciders but not much less expendable either.

As to subsequent interrogation, what can he tell that can't be pieced together anyway and often already has been?

Forget Jason Bourne or whatever fairy tale character, the loner(s) is(are) not tradecraft or anywhere near it even.

In this the perps actually acted pretty much with standard professionalism. IS is run by many that hail from Saddam's secret intelligence agencies and they've all been to the same school.

Well that's the occupational hazard of field directors. Hence the "field" in the name. If they were running an operation from the office (or some other more distant location and be it the car outside) they'd be of little supportive use to the actual operatives. They're not as expendable as the actual suiciders but not much less expendable either.

As to subsequent interrogation, what can he tell that can't be pieced together anyway and often already has been?

Forget Jason Bourne or whatever fairy tale character, the loner(s) is(are) not tradecraft or anywhere near it even.

In this the perps actually acted pretty much with standard professionalism. IS is run by many that hail from Saddam's secret intelligence agencies and they've all been to the same school.

All of that is old news.

Well good. It's like they got an entire cell. Sentencing will be very interesting. If it's not handled right, then I see a hostage exchange looming.

Hostage exchange with who?

Belgian prosecutors say a terror suspect arrested on Friday has admitted being the "man in the hat" seen with the bombers at Brussels airport.
They say Mohamed Abrini told investigators that he was at the scene of the 22 March suicide bombings.

Abrini confesses to being the third man involved in the bombing of Brussels airport.

Back
Top Bottom