• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man falsely connected to the shooting by Dallas police is now getting death threats

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
As Thursday’s deadly attack unfolded in Texas, with snipers injuring six people and killing five Dallas police officers, the scene was one of chaos and confusion. Three suspects are now in custody. A fourth is reported to be dead. The identities and motives of the perpetrators still remain under investigation.
Amid the confusion, a man in a camouflage T-shirt briefly became one of the most sought individuals in the United States.

Yes, he took a rifle to the protest. He happens to be a member of the NRA, and wanted to show his strong support for the Second Amendment. How could he have known that snipers were about to fire on police officers? As soon as the incident began, he immediately turned his rifle over to police. Soon after, after finding out that he was one of the most wanted men in the nation, he immediately turned himself over to police, who cleared him of any involvement in the attack, after a thorough investigation. However, since then, he has received thousands of death threats.

I would like to note that Dallas PD did call him a man of interest, and rightly so. Then they cleared him after an investigation. So, on that note, I wouldn't say falsely accused. Dallas PD did what they were supposed to do. Investigate.

Oh yea. One more thing. He happens to be black. This should be a story of "Don't rush to judgement without knowing all the facts". Things aren't always as they seem to some people.

Article is here.

Re: Man falsely connected to the shooting by Dallas police is now getting death threa

Yes, he took a rifle to the protest. He happens to be a member of the NRA, and wanted to show his strong support for the Second Amendment. How could he have known that snipers were about to fire on police officers? As soon as the incident began, he immediately turned his rifle over to police. Soon after, after finding out that he was one of the most wanted men in the nation, he immediately turned himself over to police, who cleared him of any involvement in the attack, after a thorough investigation. However, since then, he has received thousands of death threats.

I would like to note that Dallas PD did call him a man of interest, and rightly so. Then they cleared him after an investigation. So, on that note, I wouldn't say falsely accused. Dallas PD did what they were supposed to do. Investigate.

Oh yea. One more thing. He happens to be black. This should be a story of "Don't rush to judgement without knowing all the facts". Things aren't always as they seem to some people.

Article is here.
Mostly agree, but the initial Dallas PD tweet said the following "This is one of our suspects. Please help us find him!" The Dallas PD did rush to judgement, and rightly so. He was carrying a gun in the area of the crime and the police wanted to make sure that the public was motivated to find him. When more information came to light, the police turned their attention elsewhere.

Re: Man falsely connected to the shooting by Dallas police is now getting death threa

Mostly agree, but the initial Dallas PD tweet said the following "This is one of our suspects. Please help us find him!" The Dallas PD did rush to judgement, and rightly so. He was carrying a gun in the area of the crime and the police wanted to make sure that the public was motivated to find him. When more information came to light, the police turned their attention elsewhere.

I am not sure they rushed to judgement but I can understand the thought. They were looking to find those who were responsible and suspect does not mean guilty. It had to be confusing for them and I am not going to condemn them for announcing a suspect.

Article is here.

The Dallas PD need to get their butts on the television and clear this mans name. He did exactly as a law abiding citizen should do. They need help him out.

I wouldn't call that rushing to judgement. The man had a rifle. That made him a suspect, but they investigated him and cleared him.

I am not sure they rushed to judgement but I can understand the thought. .

It's a good thing none of the posters here have rushed to judgement.

Oh wait. They are coming out of the walls.

Now just imagine if a few hundred exercising their 2 A Rights at that time.

Then they'd be exercising their second amendment rights, which is perfectly legal. How were they to know that the Dallas PD would be fired upon?

Then they'd be exercising their second amendment rights, which is perfectly legal. How were they to know that the Dallas PD would be fired upon?

They dealt with one individual, and messed it up.
I was not criticizing his right.
Just that as we have seen before many exercising their 2 A Rights, this could have turned into a real **** show.
Did it not happen in Ferguson?? Cannot recall.

The Media and Police need to get this cleared up.

Same thing happened in the Boston Bombing. Cannot recall who ID'd this person, incorrectly, but he was many miles away at the time.
Massive social media hunt on for him. Threats and all.

They already did, but some people just don't bother to get updates or read. Hence all the death threats.

The Dallas PD need to get their butts on the television and clear this mans name. He did exactly as a law abiding citizen should do. They need help him out.

Yup, this. One of the downsides of our instant information age.

Thousands, if not millions of people, saw him being posted as a suspect or person of interest. Much fewer saw that he was cleared, and that both he and the PD did everything by the book.

There needs to be a blast on social media and TV to clear this guy, and I hope he's got some police protection in the mean time. Things could go badly for him in a hurry.

As soon as the incident began, he immediately turned his rifle over to police.

I bet THAT was a tense moment.

I believe what he's saying is:

"If there were several hundred young black men openly carrying AR15's while dressed in camouflage (like the subject of this thread), it could have been bedlam as the police and citizens try to ascertain the situation"!

And he may be right.

And if the 'good guys with guns' decide to try to take armed action against the perceived 'bad guys with guns' - Yowsa! What a potential mess!

They took too long to clear him. They should have been able to ascertain that his weapon had not been recently fired and let him go. Putting his name and face in the news should qualify for a libel suit.

I wouldn't want to be him right now.

This is one of the inherent dangers of one of the practices used in the "open carry" movement. They, like the BLM protesters, set themselves up for unsavory characters to use lawful and positive events for negative (and possibly dangerous) purposes.

Yes, recognition of the 2A and the lawful carrying of firearms is important but the way you accomplish that is through education and familiarization, not "in your face" acts of agitation.

Firearms are tools and like hammers and screwdrivers different weapon types have different uses. Handguns, for example, are lightweight, short range weapons. Such a weapon is practical for daily carry due to its weight and size. It is also adequate to serve a defensive purpose in most close quarters situations such as those most likely to be encountered in most localities across the country. A rifle is larger and heavier. It's much less convenient to carry around. While some carbines (rifles with a shortened barrel) are perfectly serviceable in close quarters they really are designed to be used at longer ranges. From a practical standpoint it's just a pain in the ass to sit down for a burger while finding a good place to stash your rifle. For that reason we generally don't see rifles in more urban areas unless the need for additional range outweighs the inconvenience factor of lugging the thing around.

When people see someone with a pistol on their hip that's a fairly common sight. Cops are seen this way all the time and people have a pretty decent understanding of what a pistol is and does. Seeing it on someone not in uniform might cause concern but it probably won't induce panic. Rifles, on the other hand, have taken on a whole mystique due to Hollywood and hyperventilating politicians. People see rifles as some kind of superweapon and they often have no concept of their actual capabilities or utility. For that reason open carry of a rifle often generates a heightened level of concern or outright panic in people. Furthermore, there is a lot of likely intentional misinformation regarding rifles out there. This is something I picked up from a "diary" on another site today:

Why is this so? How is it that a bullet that is half the weight of those carried by American soldiers for their rifles during World War II can be so much more damaging than the larger bullet? It’s about cavitation.

When a bullet penetrates an object, it creates a temporary cavity. When a .223 62-grain bullet strikes a human body at more than 3,000 feet per second, that cavity is massive—it can be the size of bowling ball.

This happens because the bullet is inherently unstable in flight and tumbles through the body unlike a heavier bullet that generally travels in a straight line. Quite often, the horrific wound this causes is lethal. When it’s not, the victim can carry the consequences around forever after.
I'd post a link to the diary but I believe that linking to another forum is prohibited. I will, however, give credit to "meteorblades"

Anyway, while the author of the diary uses a lot of "insider" jargon he's still wrong. Here's a video of what a 62gr .223 round being fired into ballistic gel at close range

You can see the cavitation he talks about but it's not close to bowling ball size. The projectile is also not designed to tumble. That would be stupid for a projectile that's designed to be effective out to 500 yards.

In light of what happened in all these recent shootings we are sure to see more "open carry" groups doing their thing and more "gun control" groups doing their thing. If we want to avoid another Dallas we need everyone to be smart about what they choose to do and how they do it. Being smart means both being informed and acting responsibly. We DO NOT need a massive open carry parade. We DO NOT need a social media barrage telling everyone how dangerous BLM protests are. We don't need presidents, senators and governors telling us how messed up we are as a country and how only they can save us from ourselves. What we need is people coming together to express their concerns in a RESPECTFUL manner and we need to LISTEN and UNDERSTAND both sides. We need to be considerate of the concerns each side has and strive to find ways to accommodate and/or assuage those concerns.

What happened in Dallas is, obviously, totally unacceptable and we can't rely on elected officials to fix the reasons it happened. That needs to come from us.

Good thing he waved his gun around so it could ruin his life for no reason.

I can imagine The shooters saying, "there's too much hardware here. We'll never accomplish our mission". Or, The armed good guys could have spotted and engaged the threat within a few seconds of the first round being fired.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call that rushing to judgement. The man had a rifle. That made him a suspect, but they investigated him and cleared him.
No, it was rushing to judgement. Look what happens when a city's police department calls you a mass murder suspect on twitter. Your life is in danger. They did not, as you said, call him a person of interest. That came later. The police didn't wait for more evidence before using the suspect label--and I totally agree with that decision.

Article is here.

He was on video being arrested. Most gentle with them they were.

Unfortunate. He did nothing wrong. Was it SMART to bring a rifle to a peaceful demonstration? Uh, no. Looked like he was wearing a bullet proof vest as well. Not sure about that. What's legal and what's prudent are often two very different things.

Article is here.

Meh, all parties involved in a situation like this are panicky. I'm not surprised they jumped to conclusions. I very much doubt that they learned the color of his skin and immediately decided he was a person of interest. It does add insult to injury, but it seems legit.

I can imagine The shooters saying, "there's too much hardware here. We'll never accomplish our mission". Or, The armed good guys could have spotted and engaged the threat within a few seconds of the first round being fired.

Jesus Christ how far off the gun nut deep end do you have to believe to think this would have made things better and not way, way worse?

You have a vivid imagination.

"Suspect" and "person of interest" are the same thing... someone they think may be involved.

Back
Top Bottom