• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man Charged With Desecrating the American Flag

The act of burning the flag is a sign of dissent against the state and all forms of political dissent must treated as an act of treason, all rights and/or privileges this person once had became null and void once this act of treason was committed against the nation. This act was designed to destabilize the nation and put the lives of all its citizens in danger. Therefore this act of treason constitutes an act of terrorism as well and should be treated as such.

All parties found in support of this terrorist act must be held accountable, and be brought to justice. Including but not limited too, members of the press, legal defense, and any of the terrorists fellow saboteurs. His family must be investigated as enemies of state and held indefinitely until investigators can confirm their loyalty to the state. This terrorist and his collaborators must be sentenced to death immediately to prevent further acts of terrorism and/or treason against the state.

The lives of every citizen of this once great nation depends on it.

Seig Heil!

What's the difference between what you demand and what the terrorists want?

Nothing. Totalitarianism is all yours, just don't go flapping your ****ing gums about 'civil rights abuses' in other countries.

Facebook isn't the problem. It's someone dumb enough to document their actions, post them online under their real name, and not expect someone to react, especially in 2016 America where the law can be bent to put you in jail if the establishment wants to.

What interests me about this case is that had he not posted the photo, nothing would've been done. The charges of disorderly conduct are obviously exaggerated in order to arrest him, since speech laws technically can't do it. The claims that many people called in concerned about safety are either non-sense, or those people themselves were exaggerating because they didn't like the flag being burned. I guess if the fire had been a little bit bigger, they could've called him a terrorist and went that route.

The article gives the guy's personal statement. While I don't care for his form of protest, he has real grievances, and he was doing it on private property.

Just another case of freedom being trampled under false pretenses.

It was the same in 1967. I was "arrested" four times for standing and watching a legal demonstration.

I gotta' make some exception here though, Bodie:

If someone wants to burn *their* flag, that's freedom of speech.

If someone wants to burn *my* flag, they've got troubles coming!

Well... yeah! :lol:

So this happened in Illinois on the 4th of July.

Forbes Welcome

I raise this issue to bring up two points:

1. This is a perfect example showing people why posting on Facebook (or any other social media) in not always in one's best interests.

2. Notice that the charges include both desecration, which under Texas v. Johnson 491 U.S. 397 (1989) cannot be made illegal by itself; and disorderly conduct which might fall under the Texas V. Johnson clarification allowing charges for the narrow government interest of preventing "flag burnings that were likely to result in a serious disturbance of the peace." https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/491/397/case.html

I don't agree with this arrest if it was based solely on reactions to a Facebook post. However, there might be some small basis if calls came in from neighbors who saw him doing this in his neighborhood. But even then it was on his own private property, done apparently for the purpose of posting on his Facebook page to express his opinion, and not to incite violence. That clearly falls under First Amendment protections explained in Texas v. Johnson, since the target audience was that small fraction of the total U.S. population who are his "followers."

Yes it is the 4th of July. Yes, many Americans feel that the symbolism of the Flag should allow legal protection against desecration. Yes, people will get upset as a result.

Still, IMO it is his personal property once purchased and he can wear it, or burn it, or fly it, and it's none of our business.

My pride rests in the Nation, not in it's symbols.

When I was a soldier I would gladly defend our garrison flag from all comers. Because in that instance it clearly represented the symbol of our nation in that spot, at that time, and by extension my right to be there to serve my nation's interests. It was my job to protect it.

A common citizen's handling of their own property is not the same thing, and I support their First Amendment right to use it to express themselves howsoever they will.

I don't think intent matters here. Burning the flag might be protected under the First Amendment, but if, in doing so, he created a situation that endangered others, due to possible riot, then he should be charged with inciting to riot.

desecrrating the flag is dumb to do but nobody... and I mean NOBODY, should give a ****ing rat's ass if somebody burns the flag.

What's the difference between what you demand and what the terrorists want?

they want you to be muslim, in the great workers paradise there will be no religion, religious worship will be outlawed and preists, imams, and their followers will treated as enemies of the state as they should be. They and their families will be sent to the gulag for 10 years to work in the beet fields in silence in order to cure them of their reactionary tendencies

The act of burning the flag is a sign of dissent against the state and all forms of political dissent must treated as an act of treason, all rights and/or privileges this person once had became null and void once this act of treason was committed against the nation. This act was designed to destabilize the nation and put the lives of all its citizens in danger. Therefore this act of treason constitutes an act of terrorism as well and should be treated as such.

All parties found in support of this terrorist act must be held accountable, and be brought to justice. Including but not limited too, members of the press, legal defense, and any of the terrorists fellow saboteurs. His family must be investigated as enemies of state and held indefinitely until investigators can confirm their loyalty to the state. This terrorist and his collaborators must be sentenced to death immediately to prevent further acts of terrorism and/or treason against the state.

The lives of every citizen of this once great nation depends on it.
Beria would give you a medal.

Back
Top Bottom