• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man charged for vandalizing bakery advertising child-friendly drag show

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

An Illinois man is charged with a hate crime for allegedly vandalizing a bakery about an hour outside of Chicago, and a drag show planned at the damaged business has been canceled.

The local police department, meanwhile, has been fielding complaints for weeks about advertisements saying children were welcome at the drag performance, but investigators insisted that no nudity or sexually explicit content was expected during the show. Protests and counter-protests were planned.

Joseph I. Collins, 24, of Alsip, Illinois, is charged with two felony counts of a hate crime and criminal damage to property in connection to an incident that happened just after midnight Saturday at the UpRising Bakery and Café located in the 2100 block of W. Algonquin Road in Lake in the Hills, Illinois.
======================================================
Obviously he was upset. Just look at him.

I hate it the drag show was cancelled but at least the guy charged with a crime got to make his point.

A "child-friendly drag show" is nothing more or less than the "bearded lady" at a county fair.

Drag has wider appeal than just LGBTQ because it's acceptable to laugh, and the artists generally don't take offense. :)

Why are drag queens so anxious to perform for children? It’s not an isolated desire for them since we’re hearing about it nationwide. Apparently transvestites, transsexuals, cross dressers, and bearded ladies want to surround themselves with children who aren’t theirs.

Why are drag queens so anxious to perform for children? It’s not an isolated desire for them since we’re hearing about it nationwide. Apparently transvestites, transsexuals, cross dressers, and bearded ladies want to surround themselves with children who aren’t theirs.

Nothing has changed since bearded ladies at county fairs. It's up to parents to decide if the show is suitable for their own children, they're just being assured there won't be sexual jokes or undressing.

Actually I suspect that LGBTQ would be most likely to NOT take their children, since drag is self-mockery and kids might not get that.

An Illinois man is charged with a hate crime for allegedly vandalizing a bakery about an hour outside of Chicago, and a drag show planned at the damaged business has been canceled.

The local police department, meanwhile, has been fielding complaints for weeks about advertisements saying children were welcome at the drag performance, but investigators insisted that no nudity or sexually explicit content was expected during the show. Protests and counter-protests were planned.

Joseph I. Collins, 24, of Alsip, Illinois, is charged with two felony counts of a hate crime and criminal damage to property in connection to an incident that happened just after midnight Saturday at the UpRising Bakery and Café located in the 2100 block of W. Algonquin Road in Lake in the Hills, Illinois.

wow some of these bigots are so triggered and deranged
hope he goes away for a long time

A hate crime?

For vandalism? For breaking windows and spray painting slogans?

I'm firmly on the side of the bakery of course. They should be able to host a drag show, and if they break their word that it is "child friendly" then patrons can sue them. Nobody should make threats or damage property in response to that but if they do then let's keep the crime in proportion to actual harm done to anyone.

If a petty criminal spraypaints "die faggot" on your house or business, should they be charged with a hate crime? In my opinion, no. If they'd merely sent a letter saying "die faggot" that would not be a credible threat, and likely wouldn't be a crime at all. Demonstrating that they're prepared to break laws to get their message across, should be seen as "blowing off steam" also known as "it's not the ones who talk about it you have to worry about". Punishing them for the damage done should be sufficient, and what's more it is more likely to return some compensation to the injured party.

A hate crime?

It depends on what was spray painted. Was that a CREDIBLE THREAT? We will find out if/when there is a trial.

If you doubt that property damage can be a hate crime, then I agree with you for once.

For vandalism? For breaking windows and spray painting slogans?
yes and dont forget hate crimes
hope he is punished to the fullest extent of the law
anybody that unhinged shouldn't get a slap on the wrist . . .no normal safe person acts like that

the rest of your post is meaningless and has no impact to anything i actually posted or my stance

anybody that unhinged shouldn't get a slap on the wrist . . .no normal safe person acts like that

the rest of your post is meaningless and has no impact to anything i actually posted or my stance

Is your stance based on more information than "broken windows and spraypaint" ...?

I don't believe that any minority is entitled to extra protection against hate SPEECH, because when it comes down to it we're all minorities. If you're a White man, you're a minority. Should you get protection?

Is your stance based on more information than "broken windows and spraypaint" ...?
its based on the report, if guilty of any crimes he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law and that includes hate crimes because it seems on the surface he is severely deranged
I don't believe that any minority is entitled to extra protection against hate SPEECH, because when it comes down to it we're all minorities. If you're a White man, you're a minority. Should you get protection?
WTH? what type of moronic strawman is this?
what YOU believe is meaningless to laws and facts and rights

who said minorities should be entitled to "extra" protection??
hate crimes have nothing to do with "minority" LMAO

i guess cause you arent from the US you have no clue what a hate crime is, while they vary at the municipality level federal hate crimes are crimes based on race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.
WE ALL belong to those groups

you're welcome!

Last edited:
its based on the report, if guilty of any crimes he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law and that includes hate crimes because it seems on the surface he is severely deranged

So you believe in prison as a treatment for mental health problems.

Let's just bear that in mind as you try to take the moral high ground:

Oh really. "Protected class" mean anything to you?

i guess cause you arent from the US you have no clue what a hate crime is, while they vary at the municipality level federal hate crimes are crimes based on race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.

you're welcome!

In other words, you think it's relevant after all, whether the victim is a member of a minority.

In Europe, there are laws against hate SPEECH, for instance display of swastikas. In the US, that is protected as SPEECH unless you break a window and vandalize property with spray paint, in which case it's apparently a VERY SERIOUS crime.

How do you justify that, if it's not by protection of minorities? How does it make any difference whether I spraypaint "GOD LOVES YOU" or "DIE IN HELL, SINNER" on your property? Isn't it just a matter of speech, and isn't that protected by the 1st Amendment?

So you believe in prison as a treatment for mental health problems.
LMAO aaaaand another failed and retarded dishonest strawman that was never said
man you are not good at this at all LMAO
Oh really. "Protected class" mean anything to you?
yes i already listed them
RACE is a protected class, we all have one
again this exposes how vastly unedited you are on this topic and its hilarious and this is why your strawmen and false claims keep getting the shit kicked out of them
In other words, you think it's relevant after all, whether the victim is a member of a minority.
nope never said that one time, another swing and a miss
wow this is embarrassing how many things can you post that are factually wrong
In Europe
don't care this happened in the US so europe and your feelings are meaningless
In the US, that is protected as SPEECH unless you break a window and vandalize property with spray paint, in which case it's apparently a VERY SERIOUS crime.
again nope, nobody said that nor does the law
How do you justify that, if it's not by protection of minorities?
because i understand basic English and facts LMAO
its protection of: race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.
How does it make any difference whether I spraypaint "GOD LOVES YOU" or "DIE IN HELL, SINNER" on your property? Isn't it just a matter of speech, and isn't that protected by the 1st Amendment?
same as it does as if you PLAN a killing or if its spontaneous or self defense
same as if you swerve your car at somebody or you clip them on accident or because you are intoxicated
Motive, circumstances and reasoning are very common factors in crimes this is nothing new . . .

again you're welcome!
let me know if there's any other mistakes of yours i can help with
😂🍿

LMAO aaaaand another failed and retarded dishonest strawman that was never said
man you are not good at this at all LMAO

BUT YOU SAID:

Returning to your overly long and not particularly coherent last post:

yes i already listed them
RACE is a protected class, we all have one
again this exposes how vastly unedited you are on this topic and its hilarious and this is why your strawmen and false claims keep getting the shit kicked out of them

Your prancing around like you've won a wrestling match aside, yes race is a protected class.

But sexuality actually isn't. I wasn't going to mention this, since in my opinion EVERYTHING WHICH MAKES A PERSON A MINORITY should be a protected class, which would obviously include sexuality and gender alignment (other than Female, ironically enough).

nope never said that one time, another swing and a miss
wow this is embarrassing how many things can you post that are factually wrong

don't care this happened in the US so europe and your feelings are meaningless

What makes you think I'm from Europe, or are in Europe?

I simply haven't found out how to disable the little flag under my name, so I fake being from Norway. It's none of your business where I'm from.

again nope, nobody said that nor does the law

because i understand basic English and facts LMAO
its protection of: race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.

It's not. But again, I think it should be.

same as it does as if you PLAN a killing or if its spontaneous or self defense
same as if you swerve your car at somebody or you clip them on accident or because you are intoxicated
Motive, circumstances and reasoning are very common factors in crimes this is nothing new . . .

again you're welcome!
let me know if there's any other mistakes of yours i can help with
😂🍿

So to you, a vandalism charge which would get a few weeks in prison and a hefty fine, is upgraded to "a long long time" just because of intent. Hmm.

See, to me it's pretty obvious that you hate someone, if you smash their windows and spraypaint their place. The intent is there already, see? Whether the speech is more coherent or less, makes very little difference as far as I can see.

Don't cry while eating popcorn, you'll get dehydrated.

BUT YOU SAID:
correct you understand based on english that is NOT what you claimed right?
once again you're welcome lol
Returning to your overly long and not particularly coherent last post:
translation you got nothing that changes facts and reality, we already know LMAO
Your prancing around like you've won a wrestling match aside
not me, facts won and kicked the shit out of your retarded false claims and strawmen
, yes race is a protected class.
correct RACE . . . .
But sexuality actually isn't.
I wasn't going to mention this, since in my opinion EVERYTHING WHICH MAKES A PERSON A MINORITY should be a protected class, which would obviously include sexuality and gender alignment (other than Female, ironically enough).
sexual orientation most certainly is on the federal level
once again you are exposing your lac of education on this topic
soooo you probably shouldn't have mentioned it since it makes your post look even more stupid
What makes you think I'm from Europe, or are in Europe?
where did i say YOU were in Europe?
oh that's right i didnt . . . . . another retarded strawman bites the dust
It's not. But again, I think it should be.
again it is
So to you, a vandalism charge which would get a few weeks in prison and a hefty fine, is upgraded to "a long long time" just because of intent. Hmm.
once again never made this moronic claim no matter how many times you post it
See, to me it's pretty obvious that you hate someone, if you smash their windows and spraypaint their place. The intent is there already, see? Whether the speech is more coherent or less, makes very little difference as far as I can see.
again what you see is meaningless to facts reality laws and rights
Don't cry while eating popcorn, you'll get dehydrated.
i just might get dihydrate from all the tears of laughter after destroying your failed posts at every turn LMAO

soooo here we are in the same spot, your strawmen getting destroyed and hate crime protection are still based on race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.
wow this is fun!
😂🍿

correct you understand based on english that is NOT what you claimed right?
once again you're welcome lol

translation you got nothing that changes facts and reality, we already know LMAO

not me, facts won and kicked the shit out of your retarded false claims and strawmen

correct RACE . . . .

sexual orientation most certainly is on the federal level
once again you are exposing your lac of education on this topic

No, I brought up "protected classes" and you then claimed that all those are protected classes. Which they're not.

Hate crimes cover more than the protected classes (thanks Obama) but let's not move the goalposts, hmm?

soooo you probably shouldn't have mentioned it since it makes your post look even more stupid

where did i say YOU were in Europe?
oh that's right i didnt . . . . . another retarded strawman bites the dust

again it is

once again never made this moronic claim no matter how many times you post it

again what you see is meaningless to facts reality laws and rights

i just might get dihydrate from all the tears of laughter after destroying your failed posts at every turn LMAO

soooo here we are in the same spot, your strawmen getting destroyed and hate crime protection are still based on race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.
wow this is fun!
😂🍿

"Protected class" is a concept in constitutional law. It's related to "strict scrutiny" so that might be your way in to knowing what you're talking about.

No, I brought up "protected classes" and you then claimed that all those are protected classes. Which they're not.
the topic is hate crimes and yes they factually are as the link proves
if you disagree feel free to write the DOJ and tell them their website is wrong, let us know how it works out LMAO
once again could you make your triggered posts look any more stupid? so entertaining
good move skipping over all the other areas your posts were proven wrong but it doesn't change that's what happened ;)

fact remains your strawmen got exposed hate crime protections are still based on race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.
thanks for playing!
😂🍿

the topic is hate crimes and yes they factually are as the link proves
if you disagree feel free to write the DOJ and tell them their website is wrong, let us know how it works out LMAO
once again could you make your triggered posts look any more stupid? so entertaining
good move skipping over all the other areas your posts were proven wrong but it doesn't change that's what happened ;)

fact remains your strawmen got exposed hate crime protections are still based on race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.
thanks for playing!
😂🍿

You said twice that he should be charged with hate crimes BECAUSE HE'S DERANGED.

That's not a word to use lightly. It means mentally ill. It remains your position that the man should have the book thrown at him because he's not right in the head.

I grant that he CAN be charged with Federal hate crimes, but my positions remains that nobody should be charged with hate crimes unless they committed a serious felony like arson or assault. I disagree fundamentally with upping charges because of an intent of "hate", because it's arbitrary. Any crime can be motivated by hate, even those which are also motivated by greed or envy.

You've also talked yourself into "we're all minorities" so you're basically in favor of increased sentences across the board. Like living in the imprisonment capital of the world isn't enough for you.

YES!! my entertainment of smacking the false claims in your posts continues

You said twice that he should be charged with hate crimes BECAUSE HE'S DERANGED.
nope thats not what i said either, i never said THATS the reason
i said that's how i view him and people that can commit CRIMES like he did

posting lies only makes your failed post look even dumber . . wy post so many when they are easily proved wrong?
That's not a word to use lightly. It means mentally ill.
doesn't matter what YOU do again facts don't care about your feelings and your claim is factually wrong , look that word up and you will see why your claims are factually wrong TWICE now
It remains your position that the man should have the book thrown at him because he's not right in the head.
nope facts prove otherwise, once again your posts look more and more stupid and its awesome LMAO
I grant that he CAN be charged with Federal hate crimes,but my positions remains that nobody should be charged with hate crimes unless they committed a serious felony like arson or assault.
don't care about your "position"
the law is what it is and if he is guilty he should be punished to the max
You've also talked yourself into "we're all minorities" so you're basically in favor of increased sentences across the board. Like living in the imprisonment capital of the world isn't enough for you.
aaaaand another batshit insane factually wrong claim that makes your post AGAIN look even more moronic
MINORITY has nothing to do with hate crimes

what i actually said is hate crimes are based on race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.
which we ALL belong to that is a fact and has nothing to do with minorities

:ROFLMAO:🍿

Nothing has changed since bearded ladies at county fairs. It's up to parents to decide if the show is suitable for their own children, they're just being assured there won't be sexual jokes or undressing.

Actually I suspect that LGBTQ would be most likely to NOT take their children, since drag is self-mockery and kids might not get that.
The bearded lady from the carnival was never a part of school curriculum.

Fact

YES!! my entertainment of smacking the false claims in your posts continues

nope thats not what i said either, i never said THATS the reason
i said that's how i view him and people that can commit CRIMES like he did

you're welcome!

Three flushes and you're gone.

Three flushes and you're gone.
translation you still got nothing and your false claims are still getting the shit kicked out of the
nothing you quoted is what YOU claimed, not one time did i say he should go away just cause i think he is deranged

oooooooops your retarded lie and strawman fails again!

thanks for proving facts right and yourself wrong over and over
this keeps getting better and better, PLEASE make another triggered post making your claims look even more stupid! LMAO

so lets reflect on all the things your post factually got wrong
my stance on why he should be locked up? CHECK
what deranged means? CHECK
what is a protected class for hate crimes? CHECK
your claim about anything i said about minorities? CHECK

dayuuuuum that's embarrassing, anything else to add?
😂🍿

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom