• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man arrested for allegedly threatening Merriam-Webster over definition of female

This is what happens when you americans buy cheap knock offs of originals.

The oxford dictionary. The dictionary for those who prefer to speak english.
FYI, OED isn’t the original English language dictionary.

Last edited:
Any intelligent person should.

When you keep changing what a word means, history is elusive.

Language is not static. We have trouble understanding Shakespeare. The English of Chaucer is almost completely unintelligible to us. Old English sounds more like German.

Dictionaries change the definitions of hundreds of words every year, add many words, and take out many which are considered obsolete.

That’s a problem with the conservative mindset: they think of the world they were born into as the true one and anything else is a perversion. So they’re not capable of any change or growth. It is no wonder that the most stagnant and backwards societies in the world are also the most conservative.

Its stupid for him to have become upset and if he did indeed level threats then he should be charged.

The modern iterations of 'dictionaries' pretty much embody all in society that is sliding down the slippery slope. Redefine everything to fit the deviant decline in society. The APA and AMA are no different. Its what happens when entities are governed by political bodies. That should be noted...even used to strengthen resolve. But threats and/or acts of violence in response are always inappropriate.

Language is not static. We have trouble understanding Shakespeare. English of Chaucer is almost completely unintelligible to us. Old English sounds more like German.

Dictionaries change the definitions of hundreds of words every year, add many words, and take out many which are considered obsolete.

That’s a problem with the conservative mindset: They think the world they were born into is the true one and anything else is a perversion. So they’re not capable of any change or growth. It is no wonder that the most stagnant and backwards societies in the world are also the most conservative.

Female: having a gender identity that is opposite of male...
So, then I suppose that becomes pretty convoluted and subjective language when the definition of MALE then I assume under the woke dictionary definition of "male" also has some slippery subjective language too? If we can't say for sure what a male is, then how will we know what opposite means? If there is no constant at any point when it comes to defining the nature of thing, then it can mean anything or everything depending on the subjective feelings of individual. This then no definition at all.

I am just as outraged as the guy in the news article. I believe the people who work on the editorial staff of Merriam-Webster should be rounded up and taken away in a clown car to the circus and the pelted with silly string and pies. I wonder if the FBI will come and arrest me for my outrageous "threat". LOL

It is sad that dictionaries have become just as comical as the funny papers.

How much are you prepared to wager that Hanson isn’t a right wing nut?
I'll bet he is. Websters new definition expanded to gender identity, if I remember right.

Its stupid for him to have become upset and if he did indeed level threats then he should be charged.

The modern iterations of 'dictionaries' pretty much embody all in society that is sliding down the slippery slope. Redefine everything to fit the deviant decline in society. The APA and AMA are no different. Its what happens when entities are governed by political bodies. That should be noted...even used to strengthen resolve. But threats and/or acts of violence in response are always inappropriate.
At least in a court of law, they use contemporary meaning. No matter how the left tries to change the definitions, the law still recognizes the meaning for when a contract, law, etc was written.

Changing meaning will make it difficult for those unaware to understand why a law doesn't mean what they think it means.

So, then I suppose that becomes pretty convoluted and subjective language when the definition of MALE then I assume under the woke dictionary definition of "male" also has some slippery subjective language too? If we can't say for sure what a male is, then how will we know what opposite means? If there is no constant at any point when it comes to defining the nature of thing, then it can mean anything or everything depending on the subjective feelings of individual. This then no definition at all.

I am just as outraged as the guy in the news article. I believe the people who work on the editorial staff of Merriam-Webster should be rounded up and taken away in a clown car to the circus and the pelted with silly string and pies. I wonder if the FBI will come and arrest me for my outrageous "threat". LOL

It is sad that dictionaries have become just as comical as the funny papers.
I know right? Male and female are biological terms; we talk about male or female dogs and cats etc., we don't talk about men dogs or women cats. It's good for conservatives to (finally) start recognizing that biological sex is not the same as gender - even if it takes a confusing/misleading dictionary entry to get that ball rolling - and that both consistency and utility suggest male/female refer to sex while men/women refer to gender.

Back
Top Bottom