• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man, 21, bitten by venomous snake while hiking in New Jersey

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

A 21-year-old man was bitten by a venomous snake while hiking after dark in New Jersey, according to a new report.

Kevin Murray, of Pennington, was hiking in Hopewell Township Aug. 5 when the copperhead snake suddenly struck — but he didn’t realize what had happened until he fell down, he told WPVI-TV.

“I just felt a sharp sting right on my ankle,” Murray told the station.
==================================================
I used to live within a few miles of where this happened. And I spent a lot of time hiding in the woods alongside the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks leading into a tunnel, to stay out of sight of railroad guys between trains, which I would photo. So venomous snakes in Central NJ should be a wakeup call for the guys who do the same thing.

A 21-year-old man was bitten by a venomous snake while hiking after dark in New Jersey, according to a new report.

Kevin Murray, of Pennington, was hiking in Hopewell Township Aug. 5 when the copperhead snake suddenly struck — but he didn’t realize what had happened until he fell down, he told WPVI-TV.

I used to live within a few miles of where this happened. And I spent a lot of time hiding in the woods alongside the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks leading into a tunnel, to stay out of sight of railroad guys between trains, which I would photo. So venomous snakes in Central NJ should be a wakeup call for the guys who do the same thing.
On the farm I grew up on in Louisiana there was a hickory tree near the driveway to my Uncles house, and he always said to be careful there as the copper heads hung out underneath.
In my ill spent youth I carried a .22 revolver loaded with rat shot, and one day decided to go look under this tree, for snakes.
First off, copperheads are exactly the right color to hide under a hickory tree, and I am sure I did not see them all.(I think I killed three).

They're common in NJ and very non-aggressive. He must have practically stepped on it.

And their venom is not particularly strong. They're very beautiful snakes.

There are also rattlesnakes in NJ but they've been hunted almost to extinction in the state. :(

People are idiots to kill snakes, including venomous ones, if they're not close to human residences. They eat loads of vermin that are actually more dangerous...in spreading disease.

Poor fellow. Very bad luck. I've come across venomous snakes in New Jersey on only three occasions, and each time only while looking for snakes. In other words, while moving logs and rocks on hikes in the woods. They are very rare, very secretive, want nothing to do with people, and you pretty much have to stumble onto one in order to get bit. 95%+ of the snakes I've found in New Jersey were completely harmless. I would never be concerned with hiking anywhere around the state . . . provided, of course, you watch your step !!

:cautious:🐍

I found this little girl up in Sussex county on a horse farm while looking for painted turtles. So tame, she would have come home with me in a minute as a pet. Most snakes, by far, are completely harmless.

Attachments

• IMG_2176 ec.JPG
    IMG_2176 ec.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2175 ec.JPG
    IMG_2175 ec.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

I grew up west of there in Western New York.

I guess most people in those states would be surprised to know that Watersnakes, Rattlers and Cottonmouth are rather common there.

We don't see it because snakes usually hide from man, and will only strike when threatened.

I discovered their commoness this one day at age 16 44 years ago, when a snake darted out in front of me crossing a dry stream bed. I trapped it with a stick and was trying to capture it when this loud hsssssss happened and I noticed the tail was shaking hard. I don't know if I set any speed records for running a dry creek bed, but I got out of there. I was under the impression it had esacaped because, you know, snakes only happen in the wilderness, not a corn farm in New York. So I called whatever was the wildlife office thinking they'd send in the Marines or something.
Instead the guy suggested I make more noise while walking.

I grew up west of there in Western New York.

I guess most people in those states would be surprised to know that Watersnakes, Rattlers and Cottonmouth are rather common there.

We don't see it because snakes usually hide from man, and will only strike when threatened.

I discovered their commoness this one day at age 16 44 years ago, when a snake darted out in front of me crossing a dry stream bed. I trapped it with a stick and was trying to capture it when this loud hsssssss happened and I noticed the tail was shaking hard. I don't know if I set any speed records for running a dry creek bed, but I got out of there. I was under the impression it had esacaped because, you know, snakes only happen in the wilderness, not a corn farm in New York. So I called whatever was the wildlife office thinking they'd send in the Marines or something.
Instead the guy suggested I make more noise while walking.
There are no cottonmouth in New York State. Likewise, the water moccasin doesn't survive that far north. Their nearest cousin is the copperhead, which are abundant.
We do have timber rattlers, and they can be quite large, and fairly poisonous. But at least they're likely to announce their presence - as your experience verifies.

We also have what's known as the Northern Water Snake - which is not a water moccasin, and not poisonous. However I advise against picking them up. They never calm down, they tend to be belligerent, and their saliva has a strong anti-coagulant in it. As such, every bite tends to bleed longer than you'd think from the size of it. I remember learning that lesson the hard way, with both my arms dripping blood for what seemed like more than 15 minutes before finally sealing up. And the snake never stopped biting me while I held it.

Carry a tube of crazy glue for those unexpected moments when snake bitten.

My wife is utterly terrified of all snakes. I consider only venomous ones an annoyance.

Poor fellow. Very bad luck. I've come across venomous snakes in New Jersey on only three occasions, and each time only while looking for snakes. In other words, while moving logs and rocks on hikes in the woods. They are very rare, very secretive, want nothing to do with people, and you pretty much have to stumble onto one in order to get bit. 95%+ of the snakes I've found in New Jersey were completely harmless. I would never be concerned with hiking anywhere around the state . . . provided, of course, you watch your step !!

:cautious:🐍

I found this little girl up in Sussex county on a horse farm while looking for painted turtles. So tame, she would have come home with me in a minute as a pet. Most snakes, by far, are completely harmless.
Lovely corn/rat snake.

I had one from South Carolina that was unbelievably orange and red.

There are no cottonmouth in New York State. Likewise, the water moccasin doesn't survive that far north. Their nearest cousin is the copperhead, which are abundant.
We do have timber rattlers, and they can be quite large, and fairly poisonous. But at least they're likely to announce their presence - as your experience verifies.

We also have what's known as the Northern Water Snake - which is not a water moccasin, and not poisonous. However I advise against picking them up. They never calm down, they tend to be belligerent, and their saliva has a strong anti-coagulant in it. As such, every bite tends to bleed longer than you'd think from the size of it. I remember learning that lesson the hard way, with both my arms dripping blood for what seemed like more than 15 minutes before finally sealing up. And the snake never stopped biting me while I held it.
And! Not only rattlesnakes rattle their tails. Several other species do too...they just dont have rattles. They still rattle leaves and stuff tho for warning.

Lovely corn/rat snake.
That's what I first thought. If not a gray rat, an immature black rat snake. But no.
I had one from South Caroline that was unbelievably orange and red.
Actually, she turned out to be Lampropeltis Triangulum. A "milk snake". The saddles threw me off, too. And yes, quite lovely as you say. She became very relaxed in my hands, right up until I put her down in the grass again.

Then SWOOOSH! Gone in 3 seconds.

I never did find the painted turtle I was seeking, but the trip was more than worth it. When you go out to see wildlife, you may not find exactly what you're looking for, but there's always some surprise reward for the trip, if you keep your eyes open. She was my "gift" for my day outdoors.

And! Not only rattlesnakes rattle their tails. Several other species do too...they just dont have rattles. They still rattle leaves and stuff tho for warning.
Yeah - black rat snakes rattle their tails. That's why they sometimes call them 'pilot rattlesnakes' - and because they often winter in the same dens. But I've never found them together.

That's what I first thought. If not a gray rat, an immature black rat snake. But no.

Actually, she turned out to be Lampropeltis Triangulum. A "milk snake". The saddles threw me off, too. And yes, quite lovely as you say. She became very relaxed in my hands, right up until I put her down in the grass again.

Then SWOOOSH! Gone in 3 seconds.

I never did find the painted turtle I was seeking, but the trip was more than worth it. When you go out to see wildlife, you may not find exactly what you're looking for, but there's always some surprise reward for the trip, if you keep your eyes open. She was my "gift" for my day outdoors.
For herp viewing in NJ, I recommend Great Swamp Wildlife Refuge and various places down in the Pine Barrens, including some of the abandoned cranberry bogs.

There are painted turtles in Central Park's ponds...have you seen them there? When I was a park ranger there I studied and live trapped and confirmed that there is a viable breeding population of stinkpot mud turtles.

For herp viewing in NJ, I recommend Great Swamp Wildlife Refuge and various places down in the Pine Barrens, including some of the abandoned cranberry bogs.

There are painted turtles in Central Park's ponds...have you seen them there? When I was a park ranger there I studied and live trapped and confirmed that there is a viable breeding population of stinkpot mud turtles.
Wow. Thanks for those insights. I'll look for them - although I don't expect to see mud turtles. I know painteds and mud turtles are at least native, but every time I look in Central Park, all I see are red-eared sliders, which are not native, and are often released by well-meaning Buddhists on some special holiday.

I've been meaning to get over to the Great Swamp for a couple of years now. I'm usually in New Jersey a couple of weekends a month. I was thinking of going birding, especially during migratory season. I've yet to see a tricolored heron, but I know they are resident there, and of course, during migration, I'm sure seeing almost anything is possible. These past few years, for me at least, New Jersey has been a great state for birding. I've seen so much, I've learned so much, and there seems to be no end in sight. Every season year round offers so much.

I've never been to the Pine Barrens, and I'd really love to see a Pine Snake in the wild. But the Barrens are a bit out of the way, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

He shoulda worn boots.

Wow. Thanks for those insights. I'll look for them - although I don't expect to see mud turtles. I know painteds and mud turtles are at least native, but every time I look in Central Park, all I see are red-eared sliders, which are not native, and are often released by well-meaning Buddhists on some special holiday.

I've been meaning to get over to the Great Swamp for a couple of years now. I'm usually in New Jersey a couple of weekends a month. I was thinking of going birding, especially during migratory season. I've yet to see a tricolored heron, but I know they are resident there, and of course, during migration, I'm sure seeing almost anything is possible. These past few years, for me at least, New Jersey has been a great state for birding. I've seen so much, I've learned so much, and there seems to be no end in sight. Every season year round offers so much.

I've never been to the Pine Barrens, and I'd really love to see a Pine Snake in the wild. But the Barrens are a bit out of the way, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Ack! My bad. I was thinking red-eared sliders, not painted turtles. Btw, Great Swamp has spotted turtles.

But if there are any painted turtles, look in the pond at the south end of the park. The sliders all hit the water fast and we used to climb up on the rocks at one end, lay down on our bellies, and stick our heads over to catch them sunning.

I'm also a birder, Great Swamp is really good. I used to lead bird walks in CP.

Back
Top Bottom