• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Malware Blocking Access to Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

USViking

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Malware is blocking my access to the Debate Politics thread titled "FBI Wants You to Identify American ISIS Fighters."

When I click on the thread I get a full-screen monster with a bright red background and white lettering that says:

Deceptive site ahead

Attackers on
<site internet address for "political bullpen"- edit by USV > may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards).

Details

Back to safety

I made the edit because spelling out the entire site address generated a link which I do not want to do.

I would try to provide a screen shot but I am afraid that copying the goddam thing to my clipboard will lead to problems.

I have never heard of "political bullpen" and I have never encountered this malware before, which leads me to believe it may be a Debate Politics issue and not an issue with my PC.

I hope this information is helpful to DP. Please let me know if there is anything I can do on my end.

I got the same thing.

Better get rid of that one before it spreads to the rest of the forum. I'm on another forum as well that was attacked by viruses some years ago, and still hasn't regained the members it had before the attack. People left in droves for fear of infecting their computers.

The same malware appeared clicking to page 2 from page 1 of this History forum thread:

"Who Are The Most Misunderstood Persons In History?" (OP 9/17/13)

Malware is blocking my access to the Debate Politics thread titled "FBI Wants You to Identify American ISIS Fighters."

When I click on the thread I get a full-screen monster with a bright red background and white lettering that says:

Deceptive site ahead

Attackers on
<site internet address for "political bullpen"- edit by USV > may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards).

Details

Back to safety

I made the edit because spelling out the entire site address generated a link which I do not want to do.

I would try to provide a screen shot but I am afraid that copying the goddam thing to my clipboard will lead to problems.

I have never heard of "political bullpen" and I have never encountered this malware before, which leads me to believe it may be a Debate Politics issue and not an issue with my PC.

I hope this information is helpful to DP. Please let me know if there is anything I can do on my end.

Do you have a link to the thread?

Better get rid of that one before it spreads to the rest of the forum. I'm on another forum as well that was attacked by viruses some years ago, and still hasn't regained the members it had before the attack. People left in droves for fear of infecting their computers.

It appears oi be a false positive, at least based on the 2nd example.

The same malware appeared clicking to page 2 from page 1 of this History forum thread:

This appears to be a false positive. There are no links on that thread that contains a virus or malware.

I've moved this as well in the event there is an issue but it clearly looks like a false positive.

REPLY #9
Thanks, I've sent this to the Recycle Bin which will prevent anyone from accessing it in the event there is actually an issue.

REPLY #10
I've moved this as well in the event there is an issue but it clearly looks like a false positive.

I promise you I am not seeing things, and neither case was a false positive.

REPLY #9

REPLY #10

I promise you I am not seeing things, and neither case was a false positive.

Viruses and trojan horses can be pretty good at hiding and at replicating themselves, and they can do a lot of damage. They're nothing to fool with.

I had one once. It took me two hours with tech support to get rid of the thing. Then, they couldn't even send me the author of the malware so I could slap him upside the head like I wanted to do.

Getting malware simply by visiting a site? I thought that was something of an anachronism. And surely you can't get malware simply by taking a screen cap.

I get told that I don't have permission to view it from the site. I guess the admins moved it.

Getting malware simply by visiting a site? I thought that was something of an anachronism. And surely you can't get malware simply by taking a screen cap.

Jesus- if there was one thing I never expected anyone to get in my face about
it would be a goddam malware report.

FYI I do not think I "got" malware as in my PC was infected. For that to happen
I hope one would need to click on the malware "Details" and "back to safety" options.

And I doubt you know enough to be "sure" of anything when it comes to malware
capabilities, so I will continue to leave those screen caps alone.

Just to update everyone, I've determined the problem. We had a former poster (they are now banned) that used a lot of smileys and linked to them from other websites. One of those websites is what is creating these Malware warnings that keep popping up. The pic itself isn't Malware, but the site the pic is stored on has been flagged for Malware. There isn't a risk of DP or your computer being infected from a linked smilie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom