• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Malcolm Nance/High Level Asset

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
There was a big lede, back in April, when Nance announced he was going to Ukraine to join the fight. His interview contains an interesting comment. Sounds like an active day!

“So when you wake up in the morning, what happens?

Well, it depends on where I am and what I’m doing. I get up at 4am because I like to be up early. There’s a routine depending on where you are. I get up at four and what I do is I read, I read the news. I try to feel the battlefront based on Ukrainian news and reporting. And then I look at expert analysis from the previous night in the west. If we have PT, we do PT [physical training]. No matter where I am, no matter what I’m doing, I constantly check my gear. If I’m in a safe house on a press junket, like I am now, I go over all of my gear. I reorganize my pack. I assume that I will have to take everything, get up and run with it or move to a forward location.

Right now, part of my duty is to the press. They were well aware that I was a high-level asset. So, instead of putting me out on the line, I’m in a safe house talking to people like you.”

Edit: Anyone thinking Mr. Nance doesn’t see himself as a victim, read the piece. “If I was white, I’d be a hero.”

…and a gigantic chip on his shoulder….

Last edited:
Edit: Anyone thinking Mr. Nance doesn’t see himself as a victim, read the piece. “If I was white, I’d be a hero.”

I don't know who this guy is. Some chips belong on a shoulder...

My ultimate value is that I have experience at this. Now, look, I’m not an infantry guy. But despite what critics on Twitter who watch Rambo may think, combat isn’t about being a murdering, Seal Team Six assassin; it’s mainly about precision, accurate fire, selective fire, keeping people calm, getting on the line and moving forward.​
For almost 15 of my 20 years, my middle name was, ‘I need a Black guy who speaks Arabic’. When I was at NSA, I was being loaned out everywhere, so I’ve seen a lot and conducted missions behind or near enemy lines. If I was a white guy, I would be a hero. But with some people, it’s just as simple as: ‘You are Black; you can’t have done anything exceptional in your life, nothing.’ They can’t imagine that I’m here for altruistic reasons

Not saying Malcolm Nance isn't intelligent or that his insight isn't valuable, but every time I see him methinks he likes the camera a bit too much.

And I think what he's saying is that his role is super important to the Ukrainians propaganda/information war effort, so it wouldn't make sense for them to risk him on the front line considering he's not an infantryman.

I don't know who this guy is. Some chips belong on a shoulder...

My ultimate value is that I have experience at this. Now, look, I’m not an infantry guy. But despite what critics on Twitter who watch Rambo may think, combat isn’t about being a murdering, Seal Team Six assassin; it’s mainly about precision, accurate fire, selective fire, keeping people calm, getting on the line and moving forward.​
For almost 15 of my 20 years, my middle name was, ‘I need a Black guy who speaks Arabic’. When I was at NSA, I was being loaned out everywhere, so I’ve seen a lot and conducted missions behind or near enemy lines. If I was a white guy, I would be a hero. But with some people, it’s just as simple as: ‘You are Black; you can’t have done anything exceptional in your life, nothing.’ They can’t imagine that I’m here for altruistic reasons
Here’s how it started:

I’m done talking.”

Where we are now:

From the OP link

”Right now, part of my duty is to the press. They were well aware that I was a high-level asset. So, instead of putting me out on the line, I’m in a safe house talking to people like you.”

Not sure what your point is, you say you don’t know him and then you make a generalization. My point is that there was much ballywho about fighting and freedom and now we are pin a safe hose issuing press reports…

I have seen him for years on various outlet and he always comes across as arrogant and a know-it-all. Look at some clips of his on air segements, you could even mute the volume,,,,

Not sure what your point is, you say you don’t know him and then you make a generalization.

Well, let's see. I only quoted this much of your post:

I did that because I did not know who he was and thus did not have much basis to address the rest of what you said. But I saw you quoted "If I was white, I’d be a hero" and said he had a "gigantic chip on his shoulder". So I went to the article to see what else it said.

I then quoted more of the text around the hero line. It occurred to me that if this person has a gigantic chip on their shoulder, then there quite possibly is a good reason for it being there.

For almost 15 of my 20 years, my middle name was, ‘I need a Black guy who speaks Arabic’. When I was at NSA, I was being loaned out everywhere, so I’ve seen a lot and conducted missions behind or near enemy lines. If I was a white guy, I would be a hero. But with some people, it’s just as simple as: ‘You are Black; you can’t have done anything exceptional in your life, nothing.’ They can’t imagine that I’m here for altruistic reasons.
And this might explain why Eugene Bullard was in the French Foreign Legion and not the US army. There are a lot of African Americans and young Americans who have been in the military who are gonna see this and are gonna be inspired: this is essentially the French Foreign Legion, and it will be part of the pantheon of the defense of democracy in the defense of Ukraine … My dad was one of the first Black master chiefs in the navy. This is just who I am. I’m African American, but by God, I’m American.
Maybe that has been his experience. Maybe it isn't an arrogantly-borne grudge but one just about anyone would pick up. 🤷

My point is that there was much ballywho about fighting and freedom and now we are pin a safe hose issuing press reports…

From the how it started link:

“I spent quite a bit of time here in the pre-war period, and when the invasion happened, I had friends who are in Donetsk, who are in the Ukrainian army, who are writing to us and telling us, ‘We’re not gonna survive tonight. We’ve been hit 500 times,’” Nance said during the show. “The more I saw of the war going on, the more I thought, ‘I’m done talking, alright. It’s time to take action here.’” . . . . “They are destroying infrastructure, and then you find that they go to the cities and they massacre men, women and children. And that is the fundamental reason everyone is here,” Nance said. “We really have to assist in any way to stop this, so I decided I came here to assist them with the skills that I have myself.”

What he said in the other article lines up with this view that he's a 61 year old guy with a main value to the press, hence he was in a safe house not on the line. I suppose I don't see "arrogance" and I also see a possibility he may have a good reason to have a chip on his shoulder.

Well, let's see. I only quoted this much of your post:

I did that because I did not know who he was and thus did not have much basis to address the rest of what you said. But I saw you quoted "If I was white, I’d be a hero" and said he had a "gigantic chip on his shoulder". So I went to the article to see what else it said.

I then quoted more of the text around the hero line. It occurred to me that if this person has a gigantic chip on their shoulder, then there quite possibly is a good reason for it being there.

For almost 15 of my 20 years, my middle name was, ‘I need a Black guy who speaks Arabic’. When I was at NSA, I was being loaned out everywhere, so I’ve seen a lot and conducted missions behind or near enemy lines. If I was a white guy, I would be a hero. But with some people, it’s just as simple as: ‘You are Black; you can’t have done anything exceptional in your life, nothing.’ They can’t imagine that I’m here for altruistic reasons.
And this might explain why Eugene Bullard was in the French Foreign Legion and not the US army. There are a lot of African Americans and young Americans who have been in the military who are gonna see this and are gonna be inspired: this is essentially the French Foreign Legion, and it will be part of the pantheon of the defense of democracy in the defense of Ukraine … My dad was one of the first Black master chiefs in the navy. This is just who I am. I’m African American, but by God, I’m American.
Maybe that has been his experience. Maybe it isn't an arrogantly-borne grudge but one just about anyone would pick up. 🤷

From the how it started link:

“I spent quite a bit of time here in the pre-war period, and when the invasion happened, I had friends who are in Donetsk, who are in the Ukrainian army, who are writing to us and telling us, ‘We’re not gonna survive tonight. We’ve been hit 500 times,’” Nance said during the show. “The more I saw of the war going on, the more I thought, ‘I’m done talking, alright. It’s time to take action here.’” . . . . “They are destroying infrastructure, and then you find that they go to the cities and they massacre men, women and children. And that is the fundamental reason everyone is here,” Nance said. “We really have to assist in any way to stop this, so I decided I came here to assist them with the skills that I have myself.”

What he said in the other article lines up with this view that he's a 61 year old guy with a main value to the press, hence he was in a safe house not on the line. I suppose I don't see "arrogance" and I also see a possibility he may have a good reason to have a chip on his shoulder.
Alrighty then….

And I think what he's saying is that his role is super important to the Ukrainians propaganda/information war effort, so it wouldn't make sense for them to risk him on the front line considering he's not an infantryman.

Yep.

And he's 61, soo....

Should I not reply with an explanation of what I was saying when you say you do not understand what I was saying orrrrr....... ?
Not at all. I was only pointing out that it is pointless to continue with the dialogue, since you admit to being unfamiliar with him and make generalizations on portions of my post.

And as to Nance being 61, what does that have to do with anything?
There was no press-gang or conscription that caused him to be in Ukraine.

This look like someone who expects to be in a safe house?

1651438614766.jpeg
Or a member of the press?

Back
Top Bottom