• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Make America Florida

I only look at the facts. I don't confuse them with the fairy tales that innocent young school children are taught (in both Canada and the US).

BTW, do you REALLY feel that

[1] the Governor of Wyoming (pop. ~578,759) should have less power than the Governor of California (pop. ~39,512,223)
and
[2] the Premier of British Columbia (pop. ~ 5,070,000) should have more power than the Governor of Wyoming (pop. ~578,759)
or was your "The Governor of Florida should have more power than a Provincial Premier in Canada because Florida has a higher population that any Canadian province." just more of your usual drivel?
Hey, if you want your provincial premiers to have the similar power as state governors, you should write your representative or petition the queen or whatever it is Canadians do. But again, smaller populations, smaller budgets etc. are always going to have an effect.

If you don't think that the governor of California has more power than the govenor of Wyoming, you should check out how CARB affects the automotive industry, and how California is literally exempt from the Clean Air Act in ways Wyoming will never be. Different governors absolutely have different levels of power (however you define that). That's crazy that you think they're all able to do exactly the same things...

Hey, if you want your provincial premiers to have the similar power as state governors, you should write your representative or petition the queen or whatever it is Canadians do. But again, smaller populations, smaller budgets etc. are always going to have an effect.

If you don't think that the governor of California has more power than the govenor of Wyoming, you should check out how CARB affects the automotive industry, and how California is literally exempt from the Clean Air Act in ways Wyoming will never be. Different governors absolutely have different levels of power (however you define that). That's crazy that you think they're all able to do exactly the same things...
Actually (with some minor variations arising from slightly differing state constitutions) all of the US state governors have the same powers.

Whether or not they have the same influence is something else again.

This is sort of like all US citizens have the same powers respecting the selection of the President of the United States of America. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that "Joe Average" who donated $10.00 to the "_[fill in the blank]_ for President" fund does not have the same influence as "Joseph Plutocrat III" who donated $10,000,000 to the "Patriotic Americans for the Election of _[fill in the blank]_ as President" has.

PS - Possibly you can remember the dim dark days of the past when each cellphone manufacturer had their own special connector for the cellphone's recharging device. Did you know that that stopped when the Chinese government said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Sure you can make any type of cellphone you want here in China. However you cannot sell a cellphone in China unless it has a _[fill in the blank]_ type recharging port.". Suddenly the plethora of individualized recharging ports vanished.

Actually (with some minor variations arising from slightly differing state constitutions) all of the US state governors have the same powers.

Whether or not they have the same influence is something else again.

This is sort of like all US citizens have the same powers respecting the selection of the President of the United States of America. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that "Joe Average" who donated $10.00 to the "_[fill in the blank]_ for President" fund does not have the same influence as "Joseph Plutocrat III" who donated $10,000,000 to the "Patriotic Americans for the Election of _[fill in the blank]_ as President" has.

PS - Possibly you can remember the dim dark days of the past when each cellphone manufacturer had their own special connector for the cellphone's recharging device. Did you know that that stopped when the Chinese government said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Sure you can make any type of cellphone you want here in China. However you cannot sell a cellphone in China unless it has a _[fill in the blank]_ type recharging port.". Suddenly the plethora of individualized recharging ports vanished.
Ok, so now we're splitting the difference between power and influence... Either way American govenors of large, populous states with massive GDP have more responsibility/nfluence/power than leaders of Canadian provinces. And Canadians van change that if they wish. But they don't.

Ok, so now we're splitting the difference between power and influence... Either way American govenors of large, populous states with massive GDP have more responsibility/nfluence/power than leaders of Canadian provinces.
Not necessarily.

Within their own territorial jurisdiction, the amount of power/influence that the Governors and Premiers have depends on the constitutions of their states/provinces AND the federal constitution AND has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the population of their state/province.

In fact, it is arguable that, on the federal level, the Premiers of the Canadian provinces actually have more influence and "power" than the Governors of American states do.

As far as "responsibility" is concerned, the Premiers in Canadian provinces are responsible for providing "peace, order, and good government" as well as looking after the welfare of ALL of the people of the province where as the Governors of American states are (in actuality) responsible for ensuring that their political party retains control of the legislature as well as the people from the state who are serving in the House of Representatives and looking after the welfare of the people who are likely to vote for them.
And Canadians van change that if they wish. But they don't.
Some people like Poutine and some people like "Mac & Casu Fràzigu".

Not necessarily.

Within their own territorial jurisdiction, the amount of power/influence that the Governors and Premiers have depends on the constitutions of their states/provinces AND the federal constitution AND has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the population of their state/province.

In fact, it is arguable that, on the federal level, the Premiers of the Canadian provinces actually have more influence and "power" than the Governors of American states do.

As far as "responsibility" is concerned, the Premiers in Canadian provinces are responsible for providing "peace, order, and good government" as well as looking after the welfare of ALL of the people of the province where as the Governors of American states are (in actuality) responsible for ensuring that their political party retains control of the legislature as well as the people from the state who are serving in the House of Representatives and looking after the welfare of the people who are likely to vote for them.

Some people like Poutine and some people like "Mac & Casu Fràzigu".
So it's perfectly ok for American govenors to be more powerful than Canadian primers. Because people voted for it. I agree.

Any other argument was pretty dumb.

Don't kid yourself. If DeSantis had an illegal protest of something he didn't agree with he would come down so hard on them it would make heads spin. He is a control freak. The difference is you, and others, like what he controls.....give me break!

"The law increases penalties for protesters who block roadways or deface public monuments. It creates a new crime, "mob intimidation." And it requires that anyone arrested at a protest be denied bail until their first court appearance, likely making for overnight jail stays."

4 Reasons Why We Elect Narcissists and Sociopaths​

Candidates and voters need to understand narcissistic and sociopathic leaders.​

Bill Eddy LCSW, JD

5 Types of People Who Can Ruin Your Life
Posted May 6, 2019 |

"1. Seductive personalities

Whether in dating, hiring, or electing people, narcissists and sociopaths are the two most seductive personalities on the planet. For those narcissists and sociopaths who also want to be politicians, they learn how to seduce whole populations and can be temporarily highly effective—long enough to get elected—but then are usually very harmful in the long run. Yet most people miss the simple early warning signs of these high-conflict politicians (HCPs): 1. Preoccupied with blaming others; 2. Lots of all-or-nothing thinking; 3. Unmanaged or intense emotions; 4. Extreme behavior or threats.

Narcissists greatly exaggerate their accomplishments, then they charm people with their grandiose ideas. “I will build you a house/franchise/wall/whatever. It’ll be the best ever. Believe me.” They often convince themselves it's true. On the other hand, sociopaths flat-out lie and make serious threats. “I have a secret plan, but I can’t tell you until after I’m elected. You’ll be amazed. But I have a lot of secrets and don’t expect me to ever tell you, or I may have to hurt you.”..."

Back to the Future: Trump's History of Promising a Health Plan ...​

https://khn.org › news › back-to-the-future-trumps-hist...

Aug 13, 2020 — ""But then, timing again changed as Trump promised a sweeping health plan after the 2020 election. “If we win the House back, keep the Senate ...

Ladapo fires back at former UCLA supervisor who refused ...​

https://www.politico.com › news › 2022/02/04 › ladapo...

Feb 4, 2022 — TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Embattled Florida Surgeon General Joseph A. Ladapo said that criticism from his former UCLA supervisor was a sign that ...

Commissioner Nikki Fried Statement on Confirmation of Dr ...​

https://www.fdacs.gov › 2022-Press-Releases › Commis...

Feb 23, 2022 — Joseph Ladapo was confirmed by the Florida Senate to be Surgeon General: “As I've said before, I believe Dr. Ladapo is an anti-science quack who ...

Yes

The other 49 States are so envious of those high paying service jobs Florida is famous for🙄. The Governor needs to lay off the fake woke battle, and raise the minimum wage.

Yes

The other 49 States are so envious of those high paying service jobs Florida is famous for🙄. The Governor needs to lay off the fake woke battle, and raise the minimum wage.
I don't think Florida's legislature ever did anything for Florida's low wage workers. ACORN assisted them and then got targeted for
destruction.

Florida's $15 minimum wage botched by Legislature | Editorial

https://www.tampabay.com › opinion › 2021/02/06 › fl...
Feb 7, 2021 — Florida voters approved a constitutional amendment in November that gradually increases the state's minimum wage. Currently at $8.65 an hour, ...

Minimum Wage will Increase Again in 2021 | Business Observer

https://www.businessobserverfl.com › sponsored-article
However, due to Amendment 2, passed by constitutional referendum in 2020, on September 30, 2021, Florida's minimum wage will rise again — from $8.65 to $10 ...

Florida's ballot — for now — is off-limits to citizen initiatives​

By GARY FINEOUT
04/04/2022 06:59 AM EDT
Good Monday morning.

"Deep Down in Florida —
The mission by Republican legislators — and encouraged strongly by business groups such as the Florida Chamber of Commerce — to keep citizen initiatives off the ballot appears to have worked for now..."

G.O.P. has blocked federal legislation for nearly 15 years.

What is Georgia's minimum wage 2021?

Georgia Minimum Wage for 2021, 2022. Georgia's state minimum wage rate is $7.25 per hour. This is the same as the current Federal Minimum Wage rate. The minimum wage applies to most employees in Georgia, with limited exceptions including tipped employees, some student workers, and other exempt occupations.

Georgia Minimum Wage 2022

Tipped employees minimum wage in 2022 in these two former slave states : (you can I.D. GOP ruled states just by required min. wage)
Washington$14.49
Oregon ......................................................................................................................................................................................$12.75
Alabama 9$2.13
Georgia 9$2.13

Last edited:
So it's perfectly ok for American govenors to be more powerful than Canadian primers. Because people voted for it. I agree.

Any other argument was pretty dumb.
Now where did you see me saying that?

What I did say was that the "power" of American governors was directly related to their state's constitutions.

That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the size of the state's population nor does it have anything to do with the state's GDP.

Or have you forgotten that your position was that the "power" of a state's governor derived from the size of the state's population and/or the size of the state's GDP?

Now where did you see me saying that?

What I did say was that the "power" of American governors was directly related to their state's constitutions.

That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the size of the state's population nor does it have anything to do with the state's GDP.

Or have you forgotten that your position was that the "power" of a state's governor derived from the size of the state's population and/or the size of the state's GDP?
My position was never that that is what derived their power, which clearly comes from their citizens, only that it would be understandable for their citizens to want them to have more power, considering their vastly greater responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom