• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority supports CDC mask mandate extension for public transportation: poll

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Most people in the U.S. support the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) extending the federal mask mandate for public transportation, according to a new poll by Morning Consult-Politico.

The poll was conducted before a federal judge struck down the mask mandate on Monday.

Of those surveyed, nearly two-thirds of Americans said they support the continuation of the mandate, with 38 percent of people “strongly” supporting the CDC’s extension, and another 21 percent said they “somewhat” support the move.

Argumentum ad populum is a type of informal fallacy,[1][14] specifically a fallacy of relevance,[15][16] and is similar to an argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam).[14][4][9] It uses an appeal to the beliefs, tastes, or values of a group of people,[12] stating that because a certain opinion or attitude is held by a majority, it is therefore correct.[12][17]
https://en.wikipedia.org

Either we follow the science or we don't, but we shouldn't follow terrified woke mobs of angry liberals and their polls.

Has the CDC provided medical or scientific evidence that public transportation requires masking vs everywhere else?

I'm not asking about "common sense" arguments , or claims that "it's obvious", I'm asking for conclusive data.

Argumentum ad populum is a type of informal fallacy,[1][14] specifically a fallacy of relevance,[15][16] and is similar to an argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam).[14][4][9] It uses an appeal to the beliefs, tastes, or values of a group of people,[12] stating that because a certain opinion or attitude is held by a majority, it is therefore correct.[12][17]

Either we follow the science or we don't, but we shouldn't follow terrified woke mobs of angry liberals and their polls.

Has the CDC provided medical or scientific evidence that public transportation requires masking vs everywhere else?

I'm not asking about "common sense" arguments , or claims that "it's obvious", I'm asking for conclusive data.
From the poll:

1650474239724.png

Gallup:

1650474267200.png

POLL REJECTED!!!

My guess many don’t even travel or have the need

Mask mandates!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

If you really want hard data on the effectiveness of masks, that's a Google search away.

Mask mandates!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

If you really want hard data on the effectiveness of masks, that's a Google search away.

Then a popularity poll is meaningless.

I thought the masses wanted the mandates to go away. ;)

Yes, because the science doesn't back it up. Polls overwhelmingly opposed mandates that were set in place for political purposes, not medically scientific purposes.

This poll is the opposite. It supposedly shows that people want masks for mass transit, not because the science supports it, but because it makes them feel safe.

Your comment demonstrates that you don't understand the difference.

Yes, because the science doesn't back it up. Polls overwhelmingly opposed mandates that were set in place for political purposes, not medically scientific purposes.

This poll is the opposite. It supposedly shows that people want masks for mass transit, not because the science supports it, but because it makes them feel safe.

Your comment demonstrates that you don't understand the difference.

How do you convince people that sitting together with a bunch of maskless strangers on transit is safe?

How do you convince people that sitting together with a bunch of maskless strangers on transit is safe?

LOL! Who gives a shit? Do they want to ride the bus or fly on the plane?

They can wear a N95 mask if they want. Wear a whole-head respirator.

I'm not wearing face masks to make others feel safe.

LOL! Who gives a shit? Do they want to ride the bus or fly on the plane?

They can wear a N95 mask if they want. Wear a whole-head respirator.

I'm not wearing face masks to make others feel safe.

You didn't answer my question.

I sure did. And I've noticed this about you.

You asked: "How do you convince people that sitting together with a bunch of maskless strangers on transit is safe?"
I replied: "LOL! Who gives a shit?"

It's your problem if you don't feel safe, not mine. Your fear is not based in the science. It was drummed up by CNN and MSNBC.

I sure did.

No, you didn't. I wonder why you don't think that people who want to feel safe on transit shouldn't feel that way. How could you convince them otherwise?

And I've noticed this about you.

Here comes an ad hom.

You asked: "How do you convince people that sitting together with a bunch of maskless strangers on transit is safe?"

It's your problem if you don't feel safe, not mine. Your fear is not based in the science. It was drummed up by CNN and MSNBC.

And there it is.

I bet the majority never or rarely actually use public transportation. The revealed preferences of people in public places indicate that most people don't give a shit, regardless of what they might tell pollsters.

With poll questions like that, there's a lot of virtue signaling going on. "Should you still wear your mask?" is becoming for liberals what "Have you attended church in the past week?" is for conservatives. Most people want to give the answer that they think makes them sound virtuous, even though most of them don't actually practice what they preach.

Do you understand the phrase, 'common sense', or do you need to have your hand held and be told what to do at every stage of your life? Viruses love enclosed spaces; it's common sense to either avoid them, or do your best to mitigate against infection. Do you need 'data' or a bullet point presentation to tell you that jumping out of an aeroplane without a parachute isn't a great idea, or would common sense inform you?

I sure did. And I've noticed this about you.

Utter garbage. Macho posturing won't save you from infection.

Outside of planes which filter air and have exceptionally clean air because of that only a small percentage of America uses public transportation.

Outside of planes which filter air and have exceptionally clean air because of that only a small percentage of America uses public transportation.

Seems real easy to confirm. See how many people wear a mask on public transportation when given the choice. The few videos Ive seen so far, it appears to be about 98% against.

Utter garbage. Macho posturing won't save you from infection.

You have nothing to fear sitting at home, looking out the window with your mask on.

Whether you live life out in public is your choice. Grow up. The world is dirty and you're going to get sick occasionally.

Do you understand the phrase, 'common sense', or do you need to have your hand held and be told what to do at every stage of your life?
Public mandates require more than emotional pleas or hysterical mobs.

Viruses love enclosed spaces; it's common sense to either avoid them, or do your best to mitigate against infection.
You should avoid them if you deem it a risk. The virus is here forever, I suggest you get used to it.

Do you need 'data' or a bullet point presentation to tell you that jumping out of an aeroplane without a parachute isn't a great idea, or would common sense inform you?
Yes, we need facts to set public policy and mandates for any topic.

Back
Top Bottom