• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority of Russians Hold Putin Responsible for National Woes, Poll Says

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Moscow Times | Majority of Russians Hold Putin Responsible for National Woes, Poll Says

original-600x400.jpg

Pension reform protests in Saint Petersburg.

11/22/18
A majority of Russians have said they hold President Vladimir Putin fully responsible for the problems the country is facing under his rule, according to a new poll published by the independent Levada Center pollster. Putin’s popularity has been hurt by legislation he signed last month to raise the pension eligibility age, which has brought down his approval rating to five-year lows. Sixty-one percent of respondents said they hold Putin “fully” accountable for the nation’s problems, according to survey results published by Levada on Thursday. Another 22 percent said they hold Putin “somewhat” responsible. “This is truly an all-time record number,” political analyst Boris Makarenko told the Vedomosti business daily in comments on the results. “With the fall of the ruble in late 2014, the situation worsened and approval indicators for socio-economic policy have been dropping since.” “Pension reform became a trigger that changed the situation,” he was quoted as saying. The share of Russians who blame their head of state for social, economic and other issues has gone up annually since January 2015, according to Levada.

The second Russian poll within the past week that reports Putin's popularity among Russians is cratering.

Do the Russian people have any leverage?

Do the Russian people have any leverage?

My question as well. How many of that majority does Putin need to throw in jail to force the rest to decide Putin's not so bad after all?

My question as well. How many of that majority does Putin need to throw in jail to force the rest to decide Putin's not so bad after all?

In 1917 the Romanoffs ignored the prevailing winds..........to their peril. Pitchforks and torches have toppled a few governments!

In 1917 the Romanoffs ignored the prevailing winds..........to their peril. Pitchforks and torches have toppled a few governments!

I agree it can happen, obviously. After all, here we are. But I have doubts Putin's hold can be loosened much, and it'll take a lot to persuade him to abandon his escapades in Syria, the Baltics, and Ukraine. Pulling that money out of military adventures and putting it back into the economy isn't in his DNA, it seems.

agreed . today is very similar situation in Muscovy

You people make me laugh because your ignorance is astonishing.

Putin has just been elected as President. His popularity is still higher than such as Merkel and Macron, but your thoughts automatically turn to some sort of violent revolution to overthrow him. You would never dream of this happening in France or Germany.

But Russia? Well obviously, and you hark back 100 years to the Romanovs, as though 100 years ago was likely to happen today.
:roll::roll:

Well, when Macron resigns as President because nobody likes him, or he's overthrown by the ongoing street protests in France against fuel prices etc, then you'll have a recent example occurring in Europe. Because if you want to see genuinely unpopular leaders, look no further than in your own back yards.

Otherwise, if you want to continue being wrong about Russia for another 20 years, then carry on with the same nonsense narrative.

You people make me laugh because your ignorance is astonishing.

Putin has just been elected as President. His popularity is still higher than such as Merkel and Macron, but your thoughts automatically turn to some sort of violent revolution to overthrow him. You would never dream of this happening in France or Germany.

But Russia? Well obviously, and you hark back 100 years to the Romanovs, as though 100 years ago was likely to happen today.
Frankly I don't see any valid analogy to 1917 either (Russians are generally far better off today then under the Romanovs), what you conveniently overlook though in your comparisons to Europe is that European people have alternatives to vote for, while Russia does not. That is Russia's weakness, respectively the weakness of its system.

The GDR regime was incapable of envisaging any uprising even after it had happened and was fortunate in that not having been violent.

Putin has a force of 350,000 anti-riot goons that only take orders from him.

Something on the order of Ukraine's Revolution of Dignity would be very difficult if not impossible.

To force Putin out would require the full support of the college-educated people of Moscow and St. Petersburg, the people who actually keep Russia humming.

Majority of Russians Hold Putin Responsible for National Woes, Poll Says

he's a murderous dictator with extraordinary power. i don't see him going anywhere until biology takes him down.

he's a murderous dictator with extraordinary power. i don't see him going anywhere until biology takes him down.

And he'll be replaced by a pro western liberal who realises that Russia's best interests are served by servitude to the US?

You think? :roll:

And he'll be replaced by a pro western liberal who realises that Russia's best interests are served by servitude to the US?

nope, not really.

If the autocrats get the right kind of sweeteners from the West there's no telling who we over here would get as Putin's sudden successor. The West has the economic leverage and the autocrats have the power and position. Those guys know an asset and a liability when they have each of 'em and they like the asset only. Putin's been there a long time and things are only getting worse. Someone else who has healthy relations with Western investors might be the winning hand.

Back
Top Bottom