• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority of Gamers Today Can't Finish Level 1 in Super Mario Bros.

I think there is a flaw in their logic. Do they know how many original players of Super Mario Bros were able to beat the first level straight away?

Games back then weren't nearly as long or as involved as a lot of games are today, so it was the difficulty that kept you playing. Now games are logner nad have more involved storeis, so they don't need to be as hard to provide the same amount of play time.

Whenever modern console "Gamers" balk at my "In my day" talks about the difficulty of old school games, I refer them to Battletoads. None have been able to beat it.

Whenever modern console "Gamers" balk at my "In my day" talks about the difficulty of old school games, I refer them to Battletoads. None have been able to beat it.

Freaking hard, that game.

Ghosts and Goblins.

...that is all.

Ghosts and Goblins.

...that is all.

Drove me freakin' crazy.... one hit and your armor is gone, you're in your skivvies... next hit you're dead. I usually "died" about every ten to twenty seconds.

Thread update:

I just found out from my brother, who posted the article in the OP on Facebook (and thus is responsible for the existence of this thread), that there's a very strong possibility that the article is fake. Apparently the site it's on operates much like the Onion. Also, to the people talking about Battletoads, my brother mentioned the same thing. I personally never played that game. I haven't owned a console in a very long time.

Thread update:

I just found out from my brother, who posted the article in the OP on Facebook (and thus is responsible for the existence of this thread), that there's a very strong possibility that the article is fake. Apparently the site it's on operates much like the Onion. Also, to the people talking about Battletoads, my brother mentioned the same thing. I personally never played that game. I haven't owned a console in a very long time.

Battletoads actually was ridiculous ly hard. I had it for genesis back in the 90s and was never able to beat it.

Ghosts and Goblins.

...that is all.

Holy **** that game was difficult.... and when you thought you had it beat you had to go back to the beginning and start over pretty much.

I think one of the problems with Super Mario Brothers is because, if I remember correctly, there's no way to save the game. Games now have save points all over the place. That makes it hard to beat a game if you have to sit there for hours until you finish it. Don't think I'm lame, but the hardest game I ever played was "Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland." Now laugh all you want, because it sounds like a kid's game, but that game was freaking impossible to beat. Hell, I never once got past level 3 without using a Game Genie. Once I used the Game Genie and finished level 3, I went through all 7 levels. Before the Game Genie, I thought that, because level 3 was so hard, it was the final level. *buzzer* Nope. Not even close.

Other than Nemo, every single game I've ever played, I've beaten. I won't give up on a game until I finish it. I even beat Doctor Mario (remember that game with the pills? Kind of like Tetris?) I beat Dr. Mario on level 3, speed high. My friend called bull**** until I showed him. He'd never seen anybody beat it in high speed. Back then, I had pretty good hand/eye coordination.

That game has caused me many sleepless nights.

lmao, like Super Mario requires the same reaction time as Modern Warfare...what a joke.

lmao, like Super Mario requires the same reaction time as Modern Warfare...what a joke.

Twitch gaming has its limitations.

Twitch gaming has its limitations.

Controllers have more options, games have more depth etc. The premise is clearly a joke. Games have gotten more difficult not less. We've overcome the hardware limitations of the NES.

Controllers have more options, games have more depth etc. The premise is clearly a joke. Games have gotten more difficult not less. We've overcome the hardware limitations of the NES.

Depends on the game. Many games make automatic adjustments so the gamer does not progressively face a more difficult foe or so they can hit their opponent with more accuracy.

I don't want to somehow glorify games from the past, because why bother? Many were immensely difficult to beat, others not so much at all (I remember liking getting through Turtles in Time in an hour), but I wouldn't make blanket statements. Many games in the past required level progression and the only depth they had was becoming progressively more difficult and solving the puzzle to win. Games, perhaps to some extent, as a result of their more mainstream success, are revolving more around the experience than "skill" (again, I don't care about skill, because why brag about being that great at a video game in the first place?). I don't think that an undesirable thing.

I actually disagree.

While the games have gotten more complex..... I still find old NES games like Castlevania and Mario Brothers to be more difficult than all of the current crop of games.

Current games are forgiving, while games like Mario aren't.

Unfortunately, because I can't play current games (because of the motion-sickness), I can't gauge the difficulty between the two generations of gaming. I will say that there are some old school games that made me want to pull my hair out. Like I said earlier, I don't walk away from a game until I finish it, so there were some times I spent hours in front of the console when I was younger. I think the lack of save points was a big thing. There were no, "Get to this point and there's a save point." There were NO save points in lots of the games. You had to burn through it in one sitting or you had to start all over again.

Back
Top Bottom