• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority of Americans will wait to get Covid vaccine, poll shows

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Six in 10 respondents in a new Axios/Ipsos poll said they would not take a vaccine as soon as it is available

A growing number of Americans will be reluctant to get a Covid-19 vaccine immediately after one is developed.

The US has recorded nearly 7m cases and on Tuesday the death toll surpassed 200,000. But six in 10 respondents in a new Axios/Ipsos poll said they would not take a vaccine as soon as it is available, up from 53% from August, and a majority said they would wait at least a few months to get a vaccine or did not plan to get one at all.

US reaches 200,000 coronavirus deaths amid fears for coming winter
Read more

Regarding when respondents planned on getting a vaccine once it was available, the most popular timeframe was a few months after release, at 30%. Just 13% said they would get it immediately; 16% said they would wait a few weeks; 18% said they would wait at least a year; and 23% said they would not get a vaccine at all.

Public health experts, including some involved in White House coronavirus response efforts, have indicated it is very unlikely a vaccine will be proven safe and effective before the presidential election in November.

But Donald Trump has made bold claims that a vaccine could be approved by October, a move critics say is meant to bolster his re-election chances.

After Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told the Senate last week a vaccine will probably not be available to the public until mid-2021, Trump said Redfield was “confused” and had made a mistake.

The Axios/Ipsos poll demonstrates that even if a vaccine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as quickly as Trump has promised, immediate relief will probably not be seen. Not only will it take many months to produce the millions of doses needed to vaccinate the majority of the population, but as the poll indicates, there will be reluctance from many to get the vaccine immediately.
Such reluctance is shared by Democrats and Republicans, though fewer Republicans told pollsters they would be willing to get the first version of the vaccine. Among Democrats, 43% said they would be very or somewhat likely to get the vaccine as soon as it was available. Among Republicans, 33% were prepared to state that position. Both groups saw a decline in willingness from late August.
Cliff Young, president of Ipsos US, told Axios the responses probably resulted from public health experts urging patience and from the politicization of vaccine efforts.

“These cues, whether red or blue, immediately elicit negative emotion from the other side,” he said, using shorthand for Republican views (red) and Democratic (blue). This created a “negative sort of sheen” over the vaccine, he said.
======================================================
Personally, I'd wait if I'm not infected first.

Weird, explicitly tying the timing for the vaccine to an election--and contradicting scientists to do so--has raised suspicions the process is being rushed for political reasons? Who could've seen that coming.

Weird, explicitly tying the timing for the vaccine to an election--and contradicting scientists to do so--has raised suspicions the process is being rushed for political reasons? Who could've seen that coming.
The vaccine won't be rolled out until at least next year. Trump may lie about that in the debates but mark my words. And the logistics of manufacturing it & then vaccinating 300M people will take a while.

The sad thing is, the vaccine will be offered first to our first responders and medical personnel...and in most cases it will be mandated that they get it. They will end up acting as the guinea pigs to see if it's safe and effective.

I hope that it is. I support vaccination in general and even I will wait to see what the final reports of the vaccine's developer, the FDA, and medical experts say before I get it.

i don't normally take new drugs/vaccines right when they come out.

off topic, but do any of you guys remember tetracycline? or was it doxycycline ?

Antivaxxers are going to ruin this for everyone. Awesome. Can't get Americans to wear face masks and wash their hands, no wonder they think getting a vaccine is a step too far.

i don't normally take new drugs/vaccines right when they come out.

off topic, but do any of you guys remember tetracycline? or was it doxycycline ?

Tetracycline was discovered & developed by American Cyanamid in the 1950s. One of their employees took cultures of the bacterium that produce it out of the facility in his car trunk & sold them to an Italian pharma company.

Tetracycline was discovered & developed by American Cyanamid in the 1950s. One of their employees took cultures of the bacterium that produce it out of the facility in his car trunk & sold them to an Italian pharma company.

i didn't know that. i was thinking about how it turned a ton of people's teeth brown.

Solving Tetracycline Staining | A Smile Above

Crazy story! Like something out of a spy novel.

Back
Top Bottom