• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority of Americans say Obama doesnt' desrever another term

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Which could quickly change.

given a momentous event to which he responds particularly well, yes.

likelihood of that?

let's look at those poll numbers once we see who the repubs will run in opposition

presently, there is no republican front runner who could give him any competition

but if you believe differently, let us know who that prospective candidate should be

they said the same thing about Bush, whose popularity was even lower than Obama's on election day 2004.

The majority of Americans may not want Obama for a second term, but let's pray that the Republican he will be running against is popular and able to win. Bush wasn't super popular in 2004, but he still won because America liked him more than John Kerry.

Well, he hasn't earned my re-election vote yet, if that tells you anything.

like i said, back in November of 2008, in 2012, all a Republican candidate will have to do is prove they are minimally acceptable in order to take back the White House.

Gallup is out with a new Poll finding that by a 51 percent to 46 percent margin, Americans don't believe President Obama deserves to be re-elected. Among Independents, 53 percent say he doesn't deserve to win re-election.

Sorry, but despite the bad poll against Obama, Sara Palin just does not meet that "minimally acceptable" standard.

The majority of Americans may not want Obama for a second term, but let's pray that the Republican he will be running against is popular and able to win. Bush wasn't super popular in 2004, but he still won because America liked him more than John Kerry.

True enough.

However:

(a) there are no charismatic Republicans who can win a big enough majority right now;

(b) it is very difficult to defeat an incumbent no matter what;

(c) almost all Presidents go through this slump after the first year but then pick up again;

(d) things are really bad right now (economy, war, oil spill) and of course that would hurt any incumbent (McCain would have had to deal with these too and would also be unpopular, I'm sure)

(e) if the economy improves and we're out of Afghanistan by 2011, you'll see things changing

(f) polls can turn around and change almost overnight, so while this is a good indicator for now, it's kind of meaningless for 2012.

The poll is meaningless. Elections are about picking the best candidate offered, not actually liking your choices. I would say that Boxer deserves to be booted out of office, but since Fiorina is the only other option, Barbara will get my vote in Novemeber.

This poll will probably mean a lot more for the mid terms than the 2012 race. An unpopular Obama could (and probably will) lead to more Democratic defeats in Congress. Of course, a President's first mid-term election almost always leads to a loss of seats in the Congress for their party. It happened to Clinton, Bush sr., Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, and Truman (Bush jr. avoided the same fate primarily as a response to the huge popularity boost he got post-9/11). So Obama losing seats here is the historical norm. His current poll ratings and even a mid-term loss mean nothing as to how likely his re-election in 2012 will be.

Which could quickly change.
Sure, if unemployment suddenly falls to 5%, the oil in the Gulf gets cleaned up over the upcoming weekend (and all the damage done is undone) and we have Osama in a cell in Virginia before the upcoming 4th of July, things would turn around very quickly. The problem is that Obama can't do any of those and a miracle is what he needs :) .
Or Palin could run. ;)
She's going nowhere. The Republican Party uses here as a cheerleader and she herself isn't going to make a genuine effort (if she does make that decision) in the primaries.

True enough.

However:

(a) there are no charismatic Republicans who can win a big enough majority right now;
Daniels could pose a pretty big threat.
(b) it is very difficult to defeat an incumbent no matter what;
Very true.
(c) almost all Presidents go through this slump after the first year but then pick up again;
I agree.
(d) things are really bad right now (economy, war, oil spill) and of course that would hurt any incumbent (McCain would have had to deal with these too and would also be unpopular, I'm sure)
Sure.
(e) if the economy improves and we're out of Afghanistan by 2011, you'll see things changing
Obama will need a fairly large economic improvement in order to really win. We're talking unemployment down to 6 or 7 percent. And this assumes something else doesn't crop up.

Or Palin could run. ;)

yeah. i predict she would do about as well as that other republican who was derided as a radical idiot, and ran against an incompetent incumbent. how did reagan do, anyway? remember, faced with a president that the majority of Americans identify as making problems worse, all the Republican candidate needs to do is demonstrate that they are minimally acceptable, and/or won't throw trillions of dollars away in massive 'stimubailouts'

Last edited:
yeah. i predict she would do about as well as that other republican who was derided as a radical idiot, and ran against an incompetent incumbent. how did reagan do, anyway? remember, faced with a president that the majority of Americans identify as making problems worse, all the Republican candidate needs to do is demonstrate that they are minimally acceptable, and/or won't throw trillions of dollars away in massive 'stimubailouts'
republicans have already proven that they can throw money away with the best of them...as long as the economy improves, and the jobless rate declines, obama has an excellent chance of getting a second term.

Back
Top Bottom