• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority of Americans now support gay marriage according to CNN poll.

Groucho

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
ssm8810.png

Even if you debate these numbers, the trend is inescapable. Even if you think the poll may be flawed, you can't deny that it's going to happen.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/08/11/rel11a1a.pdf

I think the tide is starting to turn. First, Glenn Beck yesterday comes and and says he's not anti-gay marriage. Now, this editorial opinion from Foxnews.com:

FOXNews.com - My Fellow Conservatives, Think Carefully About Your Opposition to Gay Marriage

Other conservatives howl that one judge is unjustly invalidating the will of seven million Californians and that gay rights should come to the populace through the ballot box, not the courts.

We conservatives have a well-founded narrative about judges and the courts. It is true that the federal bench is populated with liberals who view their role not as interpreting the law as it is written, but as policy makers empowered to sculpt social outcomes with which they agree.

The irony of this case is that Judge Walker is not a liberal activist judge but one whose career has proven him to be a tempered judge, true to the Reagan-Bush conservative jurisprudence that he was nominated to represent on the bench.

Conservatives cannot deny that our Founders intended the judiciary as an equal and independent branch of government purposed to ensure the protection of every citizen’s rights.

The Supreme Court has previously ruled that the right to marry is a fundamental constitutional right.

When an unpopular minority is denied the right to marry, it is indeed the role of the courts to protect the rights of that minority, especially when a majority would deny them. This is why Judge Walker’s opinion reads, “That the majority of California voters supported Proposition 8 is irrelevant, as fundamental rights may not be submitted to [a] vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.”

Not to mention that conservatives have a flawed history with civil rights, a trend that began when Barry Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act as unconstitutional. While Goldwater was no racist there is clearly a conservative precedent for a breakdown at the intersection of ideology and reality.

The aforementioned arguments against Judge Walker’s Perry v. Schwarzenegger decision risk undermining legitimate conservative gripes about the judiciary and putting conservatism once again, on the wrong side of the latest chapter in American civil rights.

The potential consequence that conservatives land on the wrong side of civil rights history again is the alienation of an entire generation of voters. With polling definitively indicating that Americans under age 30 overwhelmingly favor gay rights, with a majority supporting gay marriage according to the Pew Millennial Attitudes report published in February this year, there are multiple reasons for conservatives to think carefully before digging in their heels against gay marriage.

Margaret Hoover is a writer, conservative commentator and Fox News contributor.

Want to know what is accounting for the trend? Old people are dying out, and being replaced with younger people.

ruy010.png

That would be nice if true, but the wording of that CNN poll is just terrible. It doesn't really get at the actual underlying issue.

"Do you think gays and lesbians have a constitutional right to get married and have their marriage recognized by law as valid?"

and

"Do you think gays and lesbians should have a constitutional right to get married and have their marriage recognized by law as valid?"

The public's thoughts on what the Constitution does or does not say is entirely irrelevant. The only real question is whether people would support legislation authorizing same-sex marriage.

The trendlines on the DK graph are also completely unscientific. It looks like the guy just drew lines on the graph by hand.

Last edited:
The majority also oppose elective abortions in all stages of pregnancy. All I know is about 80% of TN voted against gay marriage, and the majority of Californians did too. No state (to my knowledge) has had a popular vote in favor of establishing SSM. Polls are nice and all, but sometimes they don't accurately depict the truth.

The majority also oppose elective abortions in all stages of pregnancy. All I know is about 80% of TN voted against gay marriage, and the majority of Californians did too. No state (to my knowledge) has had a popular vote in favor of establishing SSM. Polls are nice and all, but sometimes they don't accurately depict the truth.

where did you get that abortion stat?

where did you get that abortion stat?

Generational Differences on Abortion Narrow
It seems as the older generation dies off, the younger generation is become increasingly pro-life. The most pro life generation is the youngest, and the most pro-abortion generation is the oldest. The trend (and now the majority) oppose elective abortions for any stage of pregnancy.
_slorw5qs0-wuedlugzi3q.gif

I will admit that it seems the younger generations favors SSM, but they are also becoming more pro-life.

Want to know what is accounting for the trend? Old people are dying out, and being replaced with younger people.

That doesn't explain an 0-31 record. BTW, great Daily Kos graphic my fellow conservative. LOL

Yes, but it's a very selective quoting. The majority of Americans actually support abortion remaining legal, with some limitations.

I did state that the majority support restricted abortions
The trend (and now the majority) oppose elective abortions for any stage of pregnancy.
If you look at this statistic it shows the majority consider themselves to be pro-life (even though it's minute)
Abortion
q8tcdngwmemwnhiefj4wpw.gif

Although this thread isn't about abortion, and I don't want to derail it. The point I am making is that the trend is increasing towards being pro-life (with them now being a small majority) while the trend is becoming for favorable towards SSM. The reality though, is that many states have passed marriage definitions that exclude homosexuality, and to my knowledge no state has done the opposite via a popular election.

I'm not opposed to them having a civil union of some sort. Just don't label it marriage.

That doesn't explain an 0-31 record. BTW, great Daily Kos graphic my fellow conservative. LOL

My wife also uses the internet, and she is a Daily Kos fan. She pointed that out to me. She is a Liberal, BTW. But nice try on the personal attack. It only reinforces your own dishonest image here at DP, in preferring to make personal attacks instead of discussing issues.

BTW, do you disagree with the graph? If so, why? I think that is the issue, not which way you wish to tell people I lean. Care to explain what you think of the graph, or would you prefer to make another personal attack instead? Or are you just going to run away and hide again, like you did the last time I called you out on your dishonesty in a thread?

Last edited:
If you don't call it marriage, it isn't marriage. Separate ain't equal.

If it gets all the same benefits from a legal perspective and you live with each other and are happy then how is that any different then marriage?

Calling it something different doesn't mean it isn't equal. By that logic I could say that an Asian and a Hispanic are not equal since they are called different things but are still people.

Digsbee quite being dishonest that thing doesn't saying anything about the majority being pro life it does however say the opposite that 47% are pro choice while only 45% are pro life. How does 45% equal the majority of the population when obviously the higher number are the people that are pro choice?

I also say this will be a growing trend, since the older generations are dieing out while the younger people who hang out with gays, and Lesbians know they are great people who shouldn't be demonized. They are the closest friend a person could have, since I know a couple of Homosexuals that are friends of my sister they're great people who deserve to be able to get married . Screw anyone who wants to take that away from people because god told you too do so.

Last edited:
Digsbee quite being dishonest that thing doesn't saying anything about the majority being pro life it does however say the opposite that 47% are pro choice while only 45% are pro life. How does 45% equal the majority of the population when obviously the higher number are the people that are pro choice?

I also say this will be a growing trend, since the older generations are dieing out while the younger people who hang out with gays, and Lesbians know they are great people who shouldn't be demonized. They are the closest friend a person could have, since I know a couple of Homosexuals that are friends of my sister they're great people who deserve to be able to get married . Screw anyone who wants to take that away from people because god told you too do so.

I think you best go back and look at that again..... what I saw was 46% pro-life and 45.5% pro-choice...... I'm guessing the missing 1.5% didn't have an opinion.

BTW……. That makes pro-life a majority.

I think you best go back and look at that again..... what I saw was 46% pro-life and 45.5% pro-choice...... I'm guessing the missing 1.5% didn't have an opinion.

BTW……. That makes pro-life a majority.

That makes it a plurality. A majority is > 50%.

If it gets all the same benefits from a legal perspective and you live with each other and are happy then how is that any different then marriage?

If it isn't called marriage, then legally it is not marriage and thus does not receive the same legal benefits of marriage. It receives only those benefits which are specifically enumerated to the specific name given it. There are thousands of laws governing marriage in this country that would have to be specifically and individually reiterated in order for "civil unions" or some other such nonsense to be legally similar to marriage, and then any law passed in the future which concerned marriage would have to specify that it also applies to "civil union" in order to maintain that parity.

"Civil union" is a lesser, debased form of marriage. I do not think that any such diminishment of marriage should be tolerated.

Calling it something different doesn't mean it isn't equal. By that logic I could say that an Asian and a Hispanic are not equal since they are called different things but are still people.

You can say that, and I would agree with you. As long as they are recognized as different things under the law, they are not equal. The only means by which to achieve the desired equality of the races is through the abolition of the races.

I'm not saying I believe in the poll results (see my comments above), but this trend is pretty easily explained too. Older people tend to vote in larger numbers than younger people.

Generational Differences on Abortion Narrow
It seems as the older generation dies off, the younger generation is become increasingly pro-life. The most pro life generation is the youngest, and the most pro-abortion generation is the oldest. The trend (and now the majority) oppose elective abortions for any stage of pregnancy.
_slorw5qs0-wuedlugzi3q.gif

I will admit that it seems the younger generations favors SSM, but they are also becoming more pro-life.

The most disturbing trend in this graph is the consistent trend away from a happy medium (i.e. abortions are legal under certain circumstances and illegal under others) and towards extremism with each progressively younger generation.

CNN is a liberal joke that no one takes seriously. Most Americans do NOT support homosexuals marrying. They say so in the polls EVERY TIME there is a vote.

Back
Top Bottom