• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majority Favors Limiting Abortion to first 20 Weeks - Women more than Men[W:86]

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
New Quinnipiac Poll

22. The U.S. Supreme Court has said abortion is legal without restriction in about the first 24 weeks of pregnancy. Some states have passed laws reducing this to 20 weeks. If it has to be one or the other, would you rather have abortions legal without restriction up to 20 weeks, or up to 24 weeks?

Tot Rep Dem Ind Men Wom Wht Blk Hsp

Up to 20 weeks 55% 62% 46% 59% 50% 60% 55% 53% 59%
Up to 24 weeks 30 17 44 26 35 25 32 28 20
NEVER LEGAL(VOL) 7 13 3 6 6 8 7 6 11
ALWAYS LEGAL(VOL) 1 1 1 2 1 2 1 2 5
DK/NA 7 7 6 7 9 5 6 11 6

MARRIED.......... SINGLE...........
Tot Men Wom Tot Men Wom

Up to 20 weeks 55% 48% 63% 55% 52% 57%
Up to 24 weeks 29 33 23 31 36 27
NEVER LEGAL(VOL) 7 7 8 6 3 9
ALWAYS LEGAL(VOL) 1 - 1 2 1 3
DK/NA 8 11 6 6 7 5

Now that's interesting.

Re: Majority Favors Limiting Abortion to first 20 Weeks - Women more in favor than Me

Wow... Apparently 60% of women hate women and want to make them rightless breeding objects.

Re: Majority Favors Limiting Abortion to first 20 Weeks - Women more in favor than Me

I notice a distinct lack of any information regarding the procedures and test samples for these polls.

New Quinnipiac Poll

Now that's interesting.

Not surprising at all with the way the question was worded.
In fact the way it was worded ...24 weeks legal " with no restrictions " makes it sound like any woman could have an abortion up to 24 weeks gestation without any restrictions at all.
That is not the case even now.

The problem with Roe vs Wade was they did not take into account severe genetic or fetal abnormalies.
1.3 percent of abortions take place at or after the 20 week gestation mark.

I read that about 99 percent of the abortions that take place between 20 weeks gestation and 24 weeks gestation are because of severe genetic or fetal abnormalities. Abortions after 24 weeks gestation are because the woman's life or irreparable damage to a major bodilily function would occur if the pregnancy continued.

Most fetal abnormalities do not show up on an ultrasound until 18 weeks gestation.

If something abnormal shows up doctors then do an amino test of the fluid to find out how servers the abnormality is.

The only timeframe left for a legal abortion for those abnormalities is usually between 20 and 24 weeks gestation since Roe vs Wade allows states to ban abortions after 24 weeks gestation unless the woman's life or irrepable damage to a major bodilily function would take place if the pregnancy continued.

Last edited:

Wow... Apparently 60% of women hate women and want to make them rightless breeding objects.

If I did not know better, I would say that statement were tendentious.

New Quinnipiac Poll

Now that's interesting.

If you are going to allow an abortion at Half a year, you might as well allow it till first breath.

If you are going to allow an abortion at Half a year, you might as well allow it till first breath.

That.... or you could decide to save those whom you could.

That.... or you could decide to save those whom you could.

Now that is an interesting proposition. I never looked it up. How many are aborted in the US. Over here in Germany they abort ca every seventh child.

It is a big job. What methods are appropriate to saving say one Hundred Thousand kids a year? Or do we stand up with words alone like a priest in the Third Reich?

Uh-oh. That's a lot of people for Scrab and Minnie to give the death penalty to. And a lot of men for joko to castrate, presumably before Scrab and Minnie execute them.

Uh-oh. That's a lot of people for Scrab and Minnie to give the death penalty to. And a lot of men for joko to castrate, presumably before Scrab and Minnie execute them.

It just goes to show how ridiculous the rhetoric is from these people. They act like anybody who wants to limit abortion in any way whatsoever is a minority and a terribly ill willed megalomaniac who wants to enslave womankind.

Now that is an interesting proposition. I never looked it up. How many are aborted in the US. Over here in Germany they abort ca every seventh child.

I guess the rate in the US is very close to the rate in Germany.
The lastest stats are that out of about 7 million pregnancies in the US less than 1 million are aborted.

New Quinnipiac Poll

Now that's interesting.

What's interesting, exactly? I don't follow what you're trying to draw attention to.

You show stats for Political alignment and gender...

You bolded married (63%) and single women (57%) who support the cut off at 20 weeks.

What is interesting? That a majority support the cut off?

What this particular polling question shows is that the majority of people oppose late-term abortion (no surprise there) and will vote for such a measure even when they don't necessarily approve of abortion overall.

I guess the rate in the US is very close to the rate in Germany.
The lastest stats are that out of about 7 million pregnancies in the US less than 1 million are aborted.

In a way that is industrial elimination.

What's interesting, exactly? I don't follow what you're trying to draw attention to.

You show stats for Political alignment and gender...

You bolded married (63%) and single women (57%) who support the cut off at 20 weeks.

What is interesting? That a majority support the cut off?

It is interesting to me that A) you have a significant majority in favor of that position and B) within that majority, women are more prevalent than men. I think that this informs the various debates surrounding the State level efforts to limit abortion past 20 weeks, as well as the discussion of the ridiculous charges that wishing to limit abortion somehow constitutes a "war on women" :roll:

It is a big job. What methods are appropriate to saving say one Hundred Thousand kids a year? Or do we stand up with words alone like a priest in the Third Reich?

Well, since you mention the Third Reich; how many people did Schindler save? Should he not have done so because he could not save them all?

In a way that is industrial elimination.

Yup. A significant portion of my generation was wiped out before we even had a chance to breathe (or, in some instances, immediately thereafter).

Well, since you mention the Third Reich; how many people did Schindler save? Should he not have done so because he could not save them all?

Oh, there is that. And the random pregnant one talks to trying to save the kid is enough?

I notice a distinct lack of any information regarding the procedures and test samples for these polls.

The quinnipiac poll from the end of July for example also shows that:

20% says that Abortion should be legal in all cases
38% said it should be legal in most cases
25% said it should be illegal in most cases
12% said it should be illegal in all cases
5% was unsure or did not give an answer

meaning that 58% of the polled individuals support abortion and want it legal in all/most cases
meaning that 37% of the polled individuals think abortion should never be allowed/almost never be allowed

Last edited:

And when the question by the Quinnipiac university was:

"In general, do you agree or disagree with the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that established a woman's right to an abortion?"

63% agreed with Roe v. Wade
30% disagreed with Roe v. Wade
7% was unsure

Meaning that, even though Roe v. Wade was made by the courts, the majority of polled individuals is clearly in favor of the ruling.

And that clear majority has been there ever since the question was asked in 2005.

National (US) Poll - February 7, 2013 - Americans Back Women In Combat | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Oh, there is that. And the random pregnant one talks to trying to save the kid is enough?

:shrug: 1>0

New Quinnipiac Poll

Now that's interesting.
Yes, clearly the pro-choice ideology is male in its foundation, women simply having unconsciuosly succumbed to its compulsive dictates to avoid attack/abandonment by men who don't want to pay child support, commit to the effort of child-raising, not ready to have the same partner for life, etc.

Those who don't realize this have simply not been paying attention to the lessons our history of male dominance over women has been trying to teach us.

That dominance continues, in the pro-choice mindset, a male-by-nature ideology.

That women have come to imagine that pro-choice is female in orientation only underscores how sad the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" capitulation is here, that women would rather vociferously advocate killing their own offspring ..

.. Than courageously stand up to the dominant male mindset that so self-destructively and codependently compels them.

Not surprising at all with the way the question was worded.
In fact the way it was worded ...24 weeks legal " with no restrictions " makes it sound like any woman could have an abortion up to 24 weeks gestation without any restrictions at all.
That is not the case even now.

The problem with Roe vs Wade was they did not take into account severe genetic or fetal abnormalies.
1.3 percent of abortions take place at or after the 20 week gestation mark.

I read that about 99 percent of the abortions that take place between 20 weeks gestation and 24 weeks gestation are because of severe genetic or fetal abnormalities. Abortions after 24 weeks gestation are because the woman's life or irreparable damage to a major bodilily function would occur if the pregnancy continued.

Most fetal abnormalities do not show up on an ultrasound until 18 weeks gestation.

If something abnormal shows up doctors then do an amino test of the fluid to find out how servers the abnormality is.

The only timeframe left for a legal abortion for those abnormalities is usually between 20 and 24 weeks gestation since Roe vs Wade allows states to ban abortions after 24 weeks gestation unless the woman's life or irrepable damage to a major bodilily function would take place if the pregnancy continued.

I think the 20 weeks essentially co-incides with around wear the viability outside the womb comes into play. Most prochoice people I know in real life are in favor of this - except of course if the life of the mother is in danger - but at that point if the fetus is mature enough and the mom is in life or death danger, it probably a delivery more than an abortion.

I think the poll numbers are hardly surprising.

I think the 20 weeks essentially co-incides with around wear the viability outside the womb comes into play. Most prochoice people I know in real life are in favor of this - except of course if the life of the mother is in danger - but at that point if the fetus is mature enough and the mom is in life or death danger, it probably a delivery more than an abortion.

I think the poll numbers are hardly surprising.

I agree that many feel 20 week gestation is near viability.
The youngest premie to ever survive was 21 weeks 5 days gestation.
Less than a handful of premies under 22 weeks gestation have survived and they are considered medical miracles .

If there were an exception for severe genetic or fetal abnormalities I would also agree with a 20 gestation limit.

Last edited:

The youngest ever premie did it in Canada in 1987. In twenty-six years of progress in medicine and technology since then, we haven't bettered it, suggesting that that is about the limit of viablity. Survival rates of older premies have improved, and they suffer fewer disabilities from their prematurity, but no fetus born before that gestational date has lived.

This is a decision to be made between a woman and her doctor; no more and no less.

Back
Top Bottom