• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Majorities in new poll support early voting, voter ID

I would agree with both proposals, but also say that voting centers should be staffed 24/7 for at least a couple of weeks before an election to allow people with tough schedules their chance to vote as well.

Hmm… “24/7 for at least a couple of weeks” is a very tough schedule. ;)

Hmm… “24/7 for at least a couple of weeks” is a very tough schedule. ;)
I suspect there could be 4 shifts to easily accommodate this.

Mail-in systems are safe and secure and ensure one person, one vote.

If by mail systems are safe and secure than let’s allow them for gun and prescription drug sales. ;)

Perhaps that idea had crossed (other) employers’ minds as well. Do you doubt that?
4 shifts are common in 24/7 operations. Its usually a 12hr 3/4 A/P schedule. I have dealt with it myself since I have worked for manufacturing companies my entire adult life (admittedly, I was only in production for a year before being promoted though). So I have no reason to doubt it.

4 shifts are common in 24/7 operations. Its usually a 12hr 3/4 A/P schedule. I have dealt with it myself since I have worked for manufacturing companies my entire adult life (admittedly, I was only in production for a year before being promoted though). So I have no reason to doubt it.

OK, so you know that shift workers have ample opportunity to vote.

OK, so you know that shift workers have ample opportunity to vote.
That had nothing to do with my original argument, but sure.

Now lets do the single mom with two jobs and little in the way of social support (which is what I actually had in mind).

Mail-in systems are safe and secure and ensure one person, one vote.

Hi, Ikari!

The concept of 'One person, one vote' often does not obtains in its pure form in the United States of America. As an example, the Electoral College, which stands astride the vote for President of the United States of America, results in some voters having over three times the effective force of others. Gerrymandering of some voting districts has all but negated any meaning to votes for other than the candidate who won the primary contest of the major political party.

Ours [The US] is a 'democracy' rather far removed from that of the Greek city state credited with originating the governmental form.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

PS. Did you know that the path to the formation of a democratic form of government in Athens began with a ruler being rebuffed in his advances to a young man of the city? The roots of the present palaver over LGBTX rights sits beneath a very long shadow.

I do not agree that Federal intervention is needed to "cure" our voting systems ills particularly since those rules would be formulated by one party or the other
I agree that there is need for a change in the rules that allow unsecure ballots to float around out there and systems that do not require voter ID. Things need to change fer sure. Early voting should not be allowed more than a week before election day and there should be no mass mailing of ballots ala "resident" mail used in advertising. Unrequested mass mailings to registered voters should not be allowed.
Liberals contend that any citizen who doesn't vote is a problem that must be solved by removing any and all restrictions regardless of the fact that doing so encourages fraudulent voting. I contend that creating systems that allow that to happen are an insult to voters and citizens whose votes are negated by allowing them. Simply stating that there isn't enough fraud to sway an election is an old tired broken record that does little to salve the wounds to those honest voters who are disenfranchised by illegal votes.

I do not agree that Federal intervention is needed to "cure" our voting systems ills particularly since those rules would be formulated by one party or the other
I agree that there is need for a change in the rules that allow unsecure ballots to float around out there and systems that do not require voter ID. Things need to change fer sure. Early voting should not be allowed more than a week before election day and there should be no mass mailing of ballots ala "resident" mail used in advertising. Unrequested mass mailings to registered voters should not be allowed.
Liberals contend that any citizen who doesn't vote is a problem that must be solved by removing any and all restrictions regardless of the fact that doing so encourages fraudulent voting. I contend that creating systems that allow that to happen are an insult to voters and citizens whose votes are negated by allowing them. Simply stating that there isn't enough fraud to sway an election is an old tired broken record that does little to salve the wounds to those honest voters who are disenfranchised by illegal votes.
why should it not be allowed? It works for Colorado...every registered voter gets a ballot and they mail it back...they have no fraud issues...there is no reason that it should not be done this way.

New poll has huge numbers agreeing that early voting should be easier and ID should be shown when voting.
Voter ID is absolutely fine when it's not part of a broader effort to restrict voting. When voting is easy in all other ways, then voter ID is fine.

So you want to disenfranchise certain sections of the population, make it too tedious and long to vote, in order for your vote to count more? Wow.

You said this:

What is an ID number going to do? You're now talking about creating a parallel database of voters for no reason.
The barcode is for identifying the candidate selected by the oval filled in, not the voter voting.

Voter ID is absolutely fine when it's not part of a broader effort to restrict voting. When voting is easy in all other ways, then voter ID is fine.
I agree. Colorado has Voter ID laws, but it's just not an issue here because of how our system is set up. We have among the highest voter turnout consistently, election to election. We make sure people who vote should be voting, are legally voting, but we also have a mail-in system with lots of secure drop boxes that makes voting simple, convenient, safe, and secure.

I do not understand why in 2021 we're having this conversation, the system is already solved. Though I do suppose the GOP doesn't want everyone voting, and there are people that don't want everyone voting, so they aim to make the process as tedious and time consuming as possible. But what a horrible way to treat our Republic.

There are less than 35 instances of voter fraud a year.

https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud <-- 1328 instances since 1982 = ~34/yr

When you realize that the "illegal votes" this poster is referring to are any votes not for Republicans, the above post snaps into focus.

I agree. Colorado has Voter ID laws, but it's just not an issue here because of how our system is set up. We have among the highest voter turnout consistently, election to election. We make sure people who vote should be voting, are legally voting, but we also have a mail-in system with lots of secure drop boxes that makes voting simple, convenient, safe, and secure.

I do not understand why in 2021 we're having this conversation, the system is already solved. Though I do suppose the GOP doesn't want everyone voting, and there are people that don't want everyone voting, so they aim to make the process as tedious and time consuming as possible. But what a horrible way to treat our Republic.
Yep, the voter id argument is made in bad faith.

If by mail systems are safe and secure than let’s allow them for gun and prescription drug sales. ;)
God, I love this comment and can't wait to read on and see if and what responses it got! These are perfect comparisons!

God, I love this comment and can't wait to read on and see if and what responses it got! These are perfect comparisons!
They're not perfect comparisons, it's a daft attempt at deflection. No reasonable individual is going to think that is a great argument.

Mail-in systems are tracked, there are secure drop boxes, you can request a replacement ballot if yours doesn't arrive and the initial ballot can be nulled, you can show up in person if you want. What about that is applicable to guns and drugs? Do you have a secure drop box? Can a gun be nulled if you don't get it? What about drugs, can they be nulled out if you don't get them? Can you overdose on a ballot? Or mix your ballot dangerously with other mail? This is why you go to the pharmacist when you get your prescriptions, so they can check what other medications you are on to ensure there won't be interactions, and to make sure dosage is right and that you're informed about the instructions.

At what point do you honestly sit there and say "Hahaha, this is a great argument!" and mean it?

I think this is very well said and I sure agree.

Back
Top Bottom