• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Major US fuel pipeline forced to shut down after being targeted in cyberattack

For how many years have security experts been warning about possible cyberattacks on our infrastructure now? Sheesh. Cybersecurity is the one part of our national security budget that needs to go way up.
This is yet ANOTHER parallel with the fall of the Roman Empire. The Romans failed to safeguard and protect their infrastructure and technology as well. When the Visigoths discovered the Roman aqueducts in the mountains surrounding Rome (the exclusive potable water supply to over 600,000 citizens) undefended, they simply destroyed them, cutting off the city's water supply. Literally overnight the city had to be abandoned in search of water. How pathetic is that?

History repeats itself.

I don’t know. I have regular solar panels on our house.

Just wondering. I think I have another 5, or so, years on the shingles on this house.

I should probably start the research now.

Just wondering. I think I have another 5, or so, years on the shingles on this house.

I should probably start the research now.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

So far, two pipelines have been shut down: The Keystone XL and this one.

More to come.
Keystone was just being built it didn't have any oil in the section that was shut down
Why do the people on the right keep pushing the lie that it was " Shut down " when they just stopped building it and it has no effect on the oil system as of now
have a nice day

As you said IF the last President would have taken action against this type of thing it may not have happened
but we all know the people on the right will put all the Blame on Biden
Have a nice day
Blaming either President is silly. These facilities are owned and operated by corporations.

Blaming either President is silly. These facilities are owned and operated by corporations.
well maybe IF the Gov. had done something when they found out there was hacking and it was going to effect some of the major industries like this and the power plants this type of thing would not have happened
Have a nice day

well maybe IF the Gov. had done something when they found out there was hacking and it was going to effect some of the major industries like this and the power plants this type of thing would not have happened
Have a nice day
This kind of hacking has been going on for decades. What do you want the government to do about the vulnerabilities of corporations?

This kind of hacking has been going on for decades. What do you want the government to do about the vulnerabilities of corporations?
I take it that you think nothing should be done. Let ransom ware and phishing go on unchecked.

That was certainly what Donald Trump wanted. He and Mitch spent four years making sure that every attempt to strengthen laws against this sort of thing never got out of committee.

The Biden administration warned them.

I take it that you think nothing should be done. Let ransom ware and phishing go on unchecked.

That was certainly what Donald Trump wanted. He and Mitch spent four years making sure that every attempt to strengthen laws against this sort of thing never got out of committee.
I know there’s nothing the government can do about it particularly as it relates to an environment where critical infrastructure is owned and operated by corporations. The Pentagon is hacked all the time and you think the government can stop some private sector rando from opening an infected email?

I know there’s nothing the government can do about it particularly as it relates to an environment where critical infrastructure is owned and operated by corporations. The Pentagon is hacked all the time and you think the government can stop some private sector rando from opening an infected email?

No, but government can police that world. Actually, we’re going to need a fairly strong, well financed international institution to take on that job.

The internet doesn’t have borders. And the governments and individuals who exploit it for nefarious reason do not.

Thus, Russian intelligence runs fake news social media campaigns to supercharge the divisive message of their candidate for President, while his campaign keeps them up to real time feedback from their internal polling (but no collusion there!!!!).

No, but government can police that world. Actually, we’re going to need a fairly strong, well financed international institution to take on that job.

The internet doesn’t have borders. And the governments and individuals who exploit it for nefarious reason do not.

Thus, Russian intelligence runs fake news social media campaigns to supercharge the divisive message of their candidate for President, while his campaign keeps them up to real time feedback from their internal polling (but no collusion there!!!!).
The People's Liberation Army is well financed, eagerly international and have created borders on the Internet.

It has become more prevalent in the last few years , and they have even been doing it to Government computers they should be spending some money on important things like this to prevent this from happening instead of some of the other BS they are wasting money on.
Our power grid is very open to hacking or even somebody setting off a Electromagnetic pulse and not only shutting the grid down but everything with a computer in it, anything from watches on your wrist , your phone , home computers ,power grid. gas lines on and on and on
it is going to have to be dealt with and the only entity big enough to do it is the Government
Have a nice day

I know there’s nothing the government can do about it particularly as it relates to an environment where critical infrastructure is owned and operated by corporations. The Pentagon is hacked all the time and you think the government can stop some private sector rando from opening an infected email
The gov. gives them tax breaks and all kinds of other things why not a tax deduction for doing something about this.
The problem is with all the deductions , carryovers, tax cuts 65% of them making over a million dollars in US profits don't pay any FIT as it is
Have a nice day

The gov. gives them tax breaks and all kinds of other things why not a tax deduction for doing something about this.
The problem is with all the deductions , carryovers, tax cuts 65% of them making over a million dollars in US profits don't pay any FIT as it is
Have a nice day
There isn’t really anything they can do about it.

1620864041588.png

Keystone was just being built it didn't have any oil in the section that was shut down
Why do the people on the right keep pushing the lie that it was " Shut down " when they just stopped building it and it has no effect on the oil system as of now
have a nice day

Seems like people on the right see things as they are and ask, "Why not?"

People on the left see people as they are and say, "Go screw yourself".

Why was the Keystone XL pipeline CONSTRUCTION ended? Certainly did not save Federal money. In truth, it cost tax dollars. WHY?

People should be celebrating this. Hopefully this pipeline never comes back online and accelerates the east coasts adoption of renewable energy.

People should be celebrating this. Hopefully this pipeline never comes back online and accelerates the east coasts adoption of renewable energy.

I guess you didn't realize renewable energy has to be transmitted via transmission lines and is also vulnerable to hacking? Just about everything these days is linked to computers and the Internet.

I guess you didn't realize renewable energy has to be transmitted via transmission lines and is also vulnerable to hacking? Just about everything these days is linked to computers and the Internet.
I happen to be passingly familiar with NERC CIP standards and protections.

What does that have to do with east coast whiners hoarding fossil fuels because they are unprepared to accept the future?

Solar collector shingles for homes were a thing a few years back. A friend who has about as much money as God checked out the cost and the differential then was still too great to be justified for him.

I'm hoping the tech will be right before I need the next new roof. Maybe the southern exposure roof with the Solar and the northern expose with the regular?
That's funny because I live in a fairly middle class neighborhood and several of my neighbors have solar panels on their roofs. But somehow this guy who has a lot of money feels it isn't justified as a cost? These are people who live in pretty moderately priced homes, not mansions. We're looking into it too.

Back
Top Bottom