• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Major Record Labels To Pay $45 Million for Pirating Artists’ Music

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So...do as we say, not as we do?

Record labels to pay $47.5M to songwriters - Money
Four of Canada’s biggest record labels have agreed to pay songwriters and music publishers $47.5 million in damages for copyright infringement and overdue royalties to settle a class action lawsuit.

Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc., EMI Music Canada Inc., Universal Music Canada Inc. and Warner Music Canada Co. will pay the plaintiffs, led by the estate of legendary jazz musician Henry “Chet” Baker. He died in 1988.

The 2008 class action alleges that the record companies “exploited” music owners by reproducing and selling in excess of 300,000 song titles without securing licenses from the copyright owners and/or without paying the associated royalty payments.

Record Labels To Pay $45 Million for Pirating Artists’ Music | TorrentFreak

It's incidents like this that really erode my sympathy for the music industry when it starts crying about copyright infringement.

The music industry is just that, an industry. It's absolutely 100% corporatist now. Money is all that matters, both for the labels and for the artists. Sure, money was always a factor, but performers like Eric Clapton, Miles Davis, The Beatles, etc, obviously had a large artistic stake in their music. Justin Bieber? Rhianna? For the cash.

ie: I never had any sympathy for the industry to begin with.

The industry has always been a bunch of hypocritical morons. They deserve no sympathy what so ever.

I never had any sympathy for the recording industry in the first place. They're hypocrites and thieves. Hopefully, in my lifetime I'll see them out of business as more artists move towards internet distribution that doesn't need a record label behind it.

Back
Top Bottom