• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Major League Sports and the BLM movement.

Integrityrespec

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I heard some athletes say they had a right to express their opinions. Yes they certainly do. Then they use their sport as a political tool. They complain they are not just here to provide entertainment. Yes, you are! In the context of why I tune in to watch a game that's exactly why I'm watching. I don't want to see a protest, I don't support many aspects of what you are supporting and I didn't tune in to watch it. If you would like to express your opinions, please do it by all means but pick a forum that is appropriate. Prior to a game, after a game have a ralley and donate your time and efforts to organize and speak out on your stance. Please don't do it during a game, immediately prior to a game during the National Anthem, don't wear BLM shirts during the games and post banners for that purpose. The reason being I don't support that organization, it's organized by confessed Marxist and that is antagonistic to a large part of americans.
You condemn the very country that gives you the right to speak out, to protest, to achieve your dream of playing major league ball and yet you appear to spit in its face. I haven't seen any of the big names in sport condemning the violence and looting in Americas large cities, so your silence is taken as support.
I have a suggestion:

Prior to the game come out gather at a point on the filed, home plate, 50 yard line, center court, what ever feels right and wear your shirts, kneel in prayer for the changes you hope to achieve, have a moment of silence. Ask anyone who would to show a sign of support, kneeling, standing, something to show support but don't insist and don't condemn those that have alternative ideas. After a few moments go to the sidelines and have the traditional national anthem with hands over your hearts and show both sides of being an American. Loyalty and patriotism and the right to assemble and show your concerns.
Then play the game and concentrate on the game. I'd prefer you'd not wear BLM shirts or other signs of protest at that point. After the game, do what millions of college and hight school players do after a game. Shake hands and then ask anyone who would like to show support gather at a spot on the field or court and again take a knee and pray for change and peace.
Maybe that's not enough for you but I would bet you would get much better results for your cause and you would see more people in support.

Sports teams can and will react to the society they're in.
The teams are made up of many people from all sections of society and if they feel strongly about an issue they're free to act how they wish.
Taking a knee or not or just refusing to play are all perfectly valid options as the players aren't slaves and can't be forced to play.

I heard some athletes say they had a right to express their opinions. Yes they certainly do. Then they use their sport as a political tool. They complain they are not just here to provide entertainment. Yes, you are! In the context of why I tune in to watch a game that's exactly why I'm watching. I don't want to see a protest, I don't support many aspects of what you are supporting and I didn't tune in to watch it. If you would like to express your opinions, please do it by all means but pick a forum that is appropriate. Prior to a game, after a game have a ralley and donate your time and efforts to organize and speak out on your stance. Please don't do it during a game, immediately prior to a game during the National Anthem, don't wear BLM shirts during the games and post banners for that purpose. The reason being I don't support that organization, it's organized by confessed Marxist and that is antagonistic to a large part of americans.
You condemn the very country that gives you the right to speak out, to protest, to achieve your dream of playing major league ball and yet you appear to spit in its face. I haven't seen any of the big names in sport condemning the violence and looting in Americas large cities, so your silence is taken as support.
I have a suggestion:

Prior to the game come out gather at a point on the filed, home plate, 50 yard line, center court, what ever feels right and wear your shirts, kneel in prayer for the changes you hope to achieve, have a moment of silence. Ask anyone who would to show a sign of support, kneeling, standing, something to show support but don't insist and don't condemn those that have alternative ideas. After a few moments go to the sidelines and have the traditional national anthem with hands over your hearts and show both sides of being an American. Loyalty and patriotism and the right to assemble and show your concerns.
Then play the game and concentrate on the game. I'd prefer you'd not wear BLM shirts or other signs of protest at that point. After the game, do what millions of college and hight school players do after a game. Shake hands and then ask anyone who would like to show support gather at a spot on the field or court and again take a knee and pray for change and peace.
Maybe that's not enough for you but I would bet you would get much better results for your cause and you would see more people in support.

When people who hate BLM claim that they should be protesting peacefully, these are as peaceful as protests get. Make up your damn minds already.

I have a suggestion:

You do realize protests are supposed to make people feel uncomfortable?

You don't make the damn rules on how a person should protest. For goodness sakes talk about tone deaf.

They’re giving the election to trump.

I have a suggestion:

This stuff has gotten ridiculous. The owners have no balls. I'm done with all sports. I quit baseball decades ago because of a strike. I quit the nfl due to disrespecting our country and now I'm quitting it all. Politics is politics. Activism is activism. Protests are protests. Entertainment is entertainment. Sports is sports. To quit fans just because some black guy got killed by cops is overreach. How are players not playing basketball, etc going to change events that are totally out of their control? What's next, all sports players are going to go on strike for four years if Trump gets re-elected?

The teams are made up of many people from all sections of society and if they feel strongly about an issue they're free to act how they wish.
Taking a knee or not or just refusing to play are all perfectly valid options as the players aren't slaves and can't be forced to play.

Most real fans don't want to be on the receiving end of forcing someone else's values on them. They are there to watch sports, not get preached to. Most of the people who agree with the players aren't real fans that watch the game. The fans who actually pay money to watch sports and buy everything sports don't want to be preached to.

When people who hate BLM claim that they should be protesting peacefully, these are as peaceful as protests get. Make up your damn minds already.

The fans who watch sports and who actually pay money for sports want to see sports, not be forced participants of being preached to. They don't pay all of that money to be preached to.

You do realize protests are supposed to make people feel uncomfortable?

You don't make the damn rules on how a person should protest. For goodness sakes talk about tone deaf.

There is a time and a place for everything. Sports is sports. While players may claim the right to peacefully protest, fans don't have to be subjected to it. The fans pay the player's salaries in every way, shape, and form. The majority of fans who actually fork over their hard earned money don't want the players forcing their **** on them. Most of the people who support the players aren't the ones paying the player's salaries.

Too bad they won’t vote again. Sorry, not sorry.

"You condemn the very country that gives you the right to speak out" You lost me right there. Pointing out how your country is run is not condemning the said country...any more then if my car needs an alternator. I don't hate the car for it..I just fix it.

1. Young men who throw a ball through a hoop are entertainers.

2. They are well-paid entertainers.

3. Everyday they should thank the American people for their good fortune in having such a fun and lucrative livelihood.

4. The fans do not want to hear their political views.

5. The fans do not want to be intimidated into standing for that so-called "anthem" of theirs, either.

6. I hope the fans make that quite clear.

I have a suggestion:

Oh look, the real world version of this.

Whitey McSportsfan - Album on Imgur

The fans who watch sports and who actually pay money for sports want to see sports, not be forced participants of being preached to. They don't pay all of that money to be preached to.

You're free to pick a different team or sport if you don't agree with the actions of the players.
Just because you pay an entrance fee doesn't give you the right to tell the teams or players how to act.

This stuff has gotten ridiculous. The owners have no balls. I'm done with all sports. I quit baseball decades ago because of a strike. I quit the nfl due to disrespecting our country and now I'm quitting it all. Politics is politics. Activism is activism. Protests are protests. Entertainment is entertainment. Sports is sports. To quit fans just because some black guy got killed by cops is overreach. How are players not playing basketball, etc going to change events that are totally out of their control? What's next, all sports players are going to go on strike for four years if Trump gets re-elected?

The majority of athletes in the NFL and the NBA are black, right? The people getting murdered from cops are black, right?

Seems to be very reasonable for NFL and NBA players to want to support their brothers and sisters.

You see, Jacob Blake is family.

Wouldn't you be mad and angry if a cop shot up your family?

You're free to pick a different team or sport if you don't agree with the actions of the players.
Just because you pay an entrance fee doesn't give you the right to tell the teams or players how to act.

The fans pay the players' salaries in many ways. In fact, fans pay 100% of the players's salaries one way or another. So, ultimately the fans do have a say. Most of the fans don't want sports to be politicized. The huge majority of Americans who agree with the players aren't the fans paying the salaries so they really have no say in the matter. I am now against all sports and all teams. That's not going to change. I'm not only through with the players themselves but with the ***** ass owners.

The majority of athletes in the NFL and the NBA are black, right? The people getting murdered from cops are black, right?

Seems to be very reasonable for NFL and NBA players to want to support their brothers and sisters.

You see, Jacob Blake is family.

Wouldn't you be mad and angry if a cop shot up your family?

The fans who pay the players's salaries do not want sports to be politicized. The Americans who stand with the players are not paying the players's salaries. These guys can do almost whatever the hell they want when they are off the clock but when they are on the clock fans expect them to be playing sports, not issuing political demands.

1. Young men who throw a ball through a hoop are entertainers.

2. They are well-paid entertainers.

3. Everyday they should thank the American people for their good fortune in having such a fun and lucrative livelihood.

4. The fans do not want to hear their political views.

5. The fans do not want to be intimidated into standing for that so-called "anthem" of theirs, either.

6. I hope the fans make that quite clear.

Show us where in the players' contracts this is required.

Well, they did sign a contract obliging themselves to play. You are correct that they can't be "forced" to play, they certainly can be subjected to consequences for their refusal to fulfill their contractual obligations.

The majority of athletes in the NFL and the NBA are black, right?
Maybe. I don't know. I don't watch basketball and I concentrate on production in the NFL. You may concentrate on skin color, but I don't. I don't happen to think it matters, though you appear to disagree.

The people getting murdered from cops are black, right?
Wrong?

But they have contracts and they can be fired for non performance. Protest on you time and not on the job.

Maybe. I don't know. I don't watch basketball and I concentrate on production in the NFL. You may concentrate on skin color, but I don't. I don't happen to think it matters, though you appear to disagree.

Wrong?

You don't know? What kind of answer is that?

An honest one?

You are not being honest. That's like saying when you see your wife, you don't see a woman.

Saying when you see a black person, you don't see race doesn't make sense unless you are actually blind.

You are not being honest. That's like saying when you see your wife, you don't see a woman.

Saying when you see a black person, you don't see race doesn't make sense unless you are actually blind.
I didn't say any of that. I said I didn't know what color the majority of the NFL is, and that I don't pay attention to such irrelevant trivialities. This is true. Name most NFL players and I won't know what color they are.

Back
Top Bottom