• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Major League Baseball 2021

Lockout is almost a given... Idk if much will be done before that happens.... December 2nd is coming up quickly....

Which is just ****ing crazy, the MLB already has the strongest players union and they still lockout every single time

Which is just ****ing crazy, the MLB already has the strongest players union and they still lockout every single time
Supposedly the sticking point this time is the players want to be able to be FAs quicker. What is it now? 6 years? 7 years? In the league before they can be FAs?

They want to be able to get the big money and contracts earlier in their careers...

Supposedly the sticking point this time is the players want to be able to be FAs quicker. What is it now? 6 years? 7 years? In the league before they can be FAs?

They want to be able to get the big money and contracts earlier in their careers...

It's 6 years now but I thought that was done on purpose from the players union to protect veterans

It's 6 years now but I thought that was done on purpose from the players union to protect veterans
Idk. That's what the talk was about a couple of days ago on WFAN here in NY..Maybe some of the younger players are grumbling... Also might be a bargaining chip for the DH in the NL... DH in the NL will protect the Vets a little bit...

Idk. That's what the talk was about a couple of days ago on WFAN here in NY..Maybe some of the younger players are grumbling... Also might be a bargaining chip for the DH in the NL... DH in the NL will protect the Vets a little bit...

I don't see why the reason for the DH. All the arguments for it seem to be anecdotal

Bargaining chip.. Another chip will probably be 26-27 man roster...

Without a salary cap neither the free agency, DH or roster size affects the owners one bit. They are going to spend what they want. I can see this being important to the players as it affects where the money goes but I don't see why it would be a lockout situation

Without a salary cap neither the free agency, DH or roster size affects the owners one bit. They are going to spend what they want. I can see this being important to the players as it affects where the money goes but I don't see why it would be a lockout situation
I disagree. The owners don't want a bigger roster size... The luxury tax scares even the Yankees...

If you're operating under the assumption that every owner will do whatever it takes to win, then this is a true statement. However, many owners don't really care about winning. They're just trying to make money.

If you're operating under the assumption that every owner will do whatever it takes to win, then this is a true statement. However, many owners don't really care about winning. They're just trying to make money.

I think you misunderstood. What I'm saying is that owners have determined the amount they are going to spend and adding a roster spot or a DH will only change how that money is distributed and will not entice the owners to spend any extra money

I disagree. The owners don't want a bigger roster size... The luxury tax scares even the Yankees...

The Yankees are going to spend the same amount whether the roster size is 25 or 50. The roster size only changes how the money gets distributed

The Yankees are going to spend the same amount whether the roster size is 25 or 50. The roster size only changes how the money gets distributed
But it affects the FAs they sign. For how much.. For how long.. That was what we were originally talking about... The lockout.. And the players wanting to be FAs in less than 6 years...

The DH... The roster size... The years for FAs... The luxury tax... It's all intertwined.. All bargaining chips... Which is why, imo, there will be a lockout...

But it affects the FAs they sign. For how much.. For how long.. That was what we were originally talking about... The lockout.. And the players wanting to be FAs in less than 6 years...

The DH... The roster size... The years for FAs... The luxury tax... It's all intertwined.. All bargaining chips... Which is why, imo, there will be a lockout...
The obvious animosity between the two sides last summer, while trying to agree on the length of the season, made it clear to me they're miles apart.

Like I said, I understand why the players care about those things but from the owners perspective none of those points effect their finances so what leverage do the players have?

Like I said, I understand why the players care about those things but from the owners perspective none of those points effect their finances so what leverage do the players have?
A strong union.. And again, I disagree.. The roster size defiantly affects the owners..

Btw word is Scherzer is still owed $10 million or so by the Nationals for the next couple of years...

So that means the next couple of years Scherzer will make close to $60 million per year..

Nice pay day...

Btw word is Scherzer is still owed $10 million or so by the Nationals for the next couple of years...

So that means the next couple of years Scherzer will make close to $60 million per year..

Nice pay day...
I believe the Nats still owe him $15 million.

I believe the Nats still owe him $15 million.

I didn't hear the exact amount.. Just that he'll be getting around $60 million per year for the next couple of years... Nice huh?

I didn't hear the exact amount.. Just that he'll be getting around $60 million per year for the next couple of years... Nice huh?
Can't beat it to throw a baseball. Guess Cohen said screw the luxury tax, huh. Hopefully we have a season next year.

Can't beat it to throw a baseball. Guess Cohen said screw the luxury tax, huh. Hopefully we have a season next year.
Just repeating what I heard, but the Mets payroll might be close to $260 million.. Scherzer alone is making more than the whole payroll of the Pirates and Orioles?? Mets have now what? 4 players over $30 million a year??

But I'm sure the luxury tax will go up after these negotiations /lockout..

Back
Top Bottom