• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Major League Baseball 2019

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The 2018 World Series was decided a while back, and 2019 is coming up fast. Time for a new baseball thread. Before you know it, pitchers and catchers will report for spring training.

Photo by Douglas Stringer/Icon Sportswire
18h
Reports: Nationals bring back 1B Matt Adams

The Nationals stayed busy this offseason by bringing back first baseman Matt Adams on a one-year deal, according to reports. Adams hit 18 home runs in 94 games for the Nats last season before going to St. Louis on a waiver claim in August.

The 2018 World Series was decided a while back, and 2019 is coming up fast. Time for a new baseball thread. Before you know it, pitchers and catchers will report for spring training.

Photo by Douglas Stringer/Icon Sportswire
18h
Reports: Nationals bring back 1B Matt Adams

The Nationals stayed busy this offseason by bringing back first baseman Matt Adams on a one-year deal, according to reports. Adams hit 18 home runs in 94 games for the Nats last season before going to St. Louis on a waiver claim in August.

Not soon enough.

Corbin contract among the worst this offseason:

there’s a ton of risk to consider on the Nats’ side, as well, and it’s not all related to the fact that he doesn’t have a sustained track record of success. He’s dealt with injuries in the past, including Tommy John surgery back in 2013, with 2018 being only the second time he’s made it to 200 IP. Six-year contracts to pitchers who are approaching 30 are going to end badly far, far more often than not.

https://baseball.realgm.com/analysis/2583/Grading-the-Deal-Nationals-Make-Big-Bet-On-Patrick-Corbin

Considering the Phillies and Yankees didn't want to give him 6 years should speak volumes on the risk the nationals are taking.

I was just going to post this.

In today's sports world 11 mil(14 mil with incentives) is peanuts but I am a little surprised L.A. signed a guy who had late night 'party issues' in NY. I've seen it a 1,000 times. Players who like to party then go to LA or NY? It seldom works out.. See Josh Hamilton..

For only 11 mil I guess it's worth the risk.

I was just going to post this.

In today's sports world 11 mil(14 mil with incentives) is peanuts but I am a little surprised L.A. signed a guy who had late night 'party issues' in NY. I've seen it a 1,000 times. Players who like to party then go to LA or NY? It seldom works out.. See Josh Hamilton..

For only 11 mil I guess it's worth the risk.

The Angels need pitching.

If they use him as a DH they may be able to have their cake and eat it too.

During the first season I do not remember him batting when he pitched unless it was against a NL team. Do you have any info on that?

This year will be a good test since he will probably not pitch recovering from Tommy Johns surgery but can still bat. The problem with him doing double duty is the team loses him for two games at bat for every game he pitches as he sits out the day before and the day after. If he starts 35 times in a year, then is 70 games without his bat which is almost half the season.

Unless he is the second coming of Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson - I know I would want his bat more than his arm .

During the first season I do not remember him batting when he pitched unless it was against a NL team. Do you have any info on that?

This year will be a good test since he will probably not pitch recovering from Tommy Johns surgery but can still bat. The problem with him doing double duty is the team loses him for two games at bat for every game he pitches as he sits out the day before and the day after. If he starts 35 times in a year, then is 70 games without his bat which is almost half the season.

Unless he is the second coming of Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson - I know I would want his bat more than his arm .

I don't have details, sorry.

I don't have details, sorry.

When the Angels came to Detroit last year, we went to the game and I thought he pitched five good innings and allowed one run before leaving. He didn't to bat as they used a different DH. I saw several other games on TV and I thought that was the same thing.

The whole idea that he can do what Babe Ruth did a century ago and nobody else has done it really captured my imagination and I was willing to buy a ticket to see a really crappy Tigers team.

The Angels need pitching.

There's other arms out there. I'm just a little surprised the L. A. would take a chance on someone who had a Rep for partying in NY. Last year when the Mets were in San Diego, Harvey drove all the way up to LA to party. That's not good Optics

But like I said 11 mil nowadays is lunch money. It might be worth the risk.

There's other arms out there. I'm just a little surprised the L. A. would take a chance on someone who had a Rep for partying in NY. Last year when the Mets were in San Diego, Harvey drove all the way up to LA to party. That's not good Optics

But like I said 11 mil nowadays is lunch money. It might be worth the risk.

$11 million was too steep for Reds to sign Harvey - (Cincinnati.com)
"To reduce to the simplest numbers, consider this: Tanner Roark, who the Reds traded for from the Washington Nationals, had a 3.4 WAR (Wins Above Replacement), according to baseball-reference.com. Roark is arbitration-eligible for the third time. The Reds expect him to make about $10 million."

$11 million was too steep for Reds to sign Harvey - (Cincinnati.com)
"To reduce to the simplest numbers, consider this: Tanner Roark, who the Reds traded for from the Washington Nationals, had a 3.4 WAR (Wins Above Replacement), according to baseball-reference.com. Roark is arbitration-eligible for the third time. The Reds expect him to make about $10 million."

I think 11 mil is definitely too much for Harvey. But again at today's price and market 11 mil is probably worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom