• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Major Flooding in Southern England as Thames reaches record heights.

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Floods in Walton-on-Thames - Your Pictures (From Elmbridge Guardian)

Walton_Flood_RobHill003.jpg

slide_336791_3408951_free.jpg

slide_336791_3409007_free.jpg

18 Shocking Photos Of The Thames Bursting Its Banks (PICTURES)

BBC News - Surrey under water

Been a horrible few days here in Surrey with the Thames bursting its banks in several places, surrounding towns like Walton have been hit pretty bad and many of friends houses have been hit with severe flooding/ flood damage. Getting to and from work has been a hassle with many trains being cancelled or running late and driving can also be a hassle with many roads either closed off or un-drivable.
If your near flood affected areas stay safe and hopefully we get some relief soon.

Last edited:
Really crap stuff.

My town got lucky (for the most part) but where I am in Southern Alberta got severely flooded last year and I know how this can be.

We were isolated for several days, grocery store almost ran out of food.

Some people are still in temporary housing a year later.

And the worst part is generally it leaves houses standing but it completely ****s them up, leaves them unsafe for habitation because of all the black mold that grows and since most Canadian houses have basements you completely lose a floor, so in that way Brits might fare better.

My suggestion is if you can, grab a case of Whisky, have a plan of escape and make the best of it.

The response by the Cameron government has been absolute shocking... and I believe these areas are traditionally tory voters. The military should have been called in long ago, instead of just a few days ago. And sadly it will only get much worse.

The response by the Cameron government has been absolute shocking... and I believe these areas are traditionally tory voters. The military should have been called in long ago, instead of just a few days ago. And sadly it will only get much worse.

to be fair their response is pretty much on par with every other British government, they all seem unable to handle any kind of adverse weather.

Floods in Walton-on-Thames - Your Pictures (From Elmbridge Guardian)

View attachment 67161827

View attachment 67161828

View attachment 67161829

18 Shocking Photos Of The Thames Bursting Its Banks (PICTURES)

BBC News - Surrey under water

Been a horrible few days here in Surrey with the Thames bursting its banks in several places, surrounding towns like Walton have been hit pretty bad and many of friends houses have been hit with severe flooding/ flood damage. Getting to and from work has been a hassle with many trains being cancelled or running late and driving can also be a hassle with many roads either closed off or un-drivable.
If your near flood affected areas stay safe and hopefully we get some relief soon.

I think i'm quite lucky where I am, these are some figures of the river near me that I got from the Environment agency website:
untitled 1.jpg
untitled.jpg

Currently the river has burst its banks and maintains that height, if we receive any large amount of rain it could spill over the flood defences!
How are the water levels where you are?

to be fair their response is pretty much on par with every other British government, they all seem unable to handle any kind of adverse weather.

Sorry but that is bs. Yes British governments seem unable to handle adverse weather when it comes out of no where. This has been going on for MONTHS and the military is only now being deployed and they are only now getting help from the continent.. come on.

I think i'm quite lucky where I am, these are some figures of the river near me that I got from the Environment agency website:
View attachment 67161830
View attachment 67161831

Currently the river has burst its banks and maintains that height, if we receive any large amount of rain it could spill over the flood defences!
How are the water levels where you are?

I'm in Woking which hasn't been as bad but surrounding areas like old woking, staines, Walton etc have had it very bad.

Sorry but that is bs. Yes British governments seem unable to handle adverse weather when it comes out of no where. This has been going on for MONTHS and the military is only now being deployed and they are only now getting help from the continent.. come on.

It's not a problem until its a problem, it's the British way. lol

It's not a problem until its a problem, it's the British way. lol

More like it is not a problem for the Tories until it is on news tv 24/7 and they are showing people breaking down mentally live on TV begging for government help. It is not a problem until the law and order party suddenly starts to hear about looting of villages that are abandoned and the police cant cover it because they are busy rescuing people because the government is not providing the military aid needed in time.

I heard that people are so desperate that they are stealing sandbags... come on, this is the UK not some 3rd world country.

The response by the Cameron government has been absolute shocking... and I believe these areas are traditionally tory voters. The military should have been called in long ago, instead of just a few days ago.
What are you basing that opinion on? The politicos pre-election games excitedly presided over by the national media? They're all looking for someone else to blame, or something they can blame on their opponents regardless of facts or reality. I bet the news coverage and thus the political interest drops faster than the water levels.

Flood response is primarily the responsibility of local councils and they didn't ask for military assistance earlier because they didn't feel the need for it. This kind of thing never goes smoothly but it's hardly the time to play politics with it.

More like it is not a problem for the Tories until it is on news tv 24/7 and they are showing people breaking down mentally live on TV begging for government help. It is not a problem until the law and order party suddenly starts to hear about looting of villages that are abandoned and the police cant cover it because they are busy rescuing people because the government is not providing the military aid needed in time.

I heard that people are so desperate that they are stealing sandbags... come on, this is the UK not some 3rd world country.

Areas have been evacuated, police are working with local government officials, military has now been deployed. Honestly Pete it isn't turning into the hunger games down here, just a lot of frustrated people who are more worried about their belongings than they are blaming the government

What are you basing that opinion on? The politicos pre-election games excitedly presided over by the national media? They're all looking for someone else to blame, or something they can blame on their opponents regardless of facts or reality. I bet the news coverage and thus the political interest drops faster than the water levels.

Flood response is primarily the responsibility of local councils and they didn't ask for military assistance earlier because they didn't feel the need for it. This kind of thing never goes smoothly but it's hardly the time to play politics with it.

Hog wash. The lack of flood prevention... which is what the government is responsible for not local councils, is directly correlated to the problems of today. Not dredging rivers and not building flood prevention systems further up stream are at the root cause of many of the problems.

And many of these councils where the floods are worst are run by the Tories..

And I stress again.. this flooding has been going on for months. There have been whole towns cut off from roads and so on for months, without the government doing a damn thing. They knew this was coming, but did nothing.

This is the Katrina of the Conservative Party of the UK and I hope they bleed at the next elections for their utter incompetence.. even if it means the liar Farage gets some seats.

Areas have been evacuated, police are working with local government officials, military has now been deployed. Honestly Pete it isn't turning into the hunger games down here, just a lot of frustrated people who are more worried about their belongings than they are blaming the government

I know that, but my point is that this is far from the only place flooded... this is just the latest place. And again the military has now been deployed.. it should have been deployed long ago.. after all most of them just sit on their asses playing cards most of the day.. it is about time they do something no?

-- If your near flood affected areas stay safe and hopefully we get some relief soon.

I remember predictions some 10+ years ago that the new century would see unpredictable extremes of weather. These reports were condemned in some quarters as fearmongering regarding global warming but the Jetstream has meandered widely and brought us all sorts of different weather problems since 2000.

468288063.jpg

This type of driving in a flood just ticks me off. I remember when my city flooded - many houses on some streets saw the water stop just below the doorstep and it was only when drivers rubbernecking and driving too fast caused a wash which took the water into people's houses - leaving them with £1000's in damages to recover from.

What worries me is that we continue to build in flood plains, that insurance companies won't cover the houses for new owners when they are sold or that premiums will go through the roof. We need a new policy for housebuilding and we need a national insurance to cover everyone.

Hog wash. The lack of flood prevention... which is what the government is responsible for not local councils, is directly correlated to the problems of today. Not dredging rivers and not building flood prevention systems further up stream are at the root cause of many of the problems.

And many of these councils where the floods are worst are run by the Tories..

And I stress again.. this flooding has been going on for months. There have been whole towns cut off from roads and so on for months, without the government doing a damn thing. They knew this was coming, but did nothing.

This is the Katrina of the Conservative Party of the UK and I hope they bleed at the next elections for their utter incompetence.. even if it means the liar Farage gets some seats.

The environment agency is run by a Labour ex-minister. Stop playing politics with this. The environment agency works with local councils and boroughs.

Did Ray Nagin move to your town?

The environment agency is run by a Labour ex-minister. Stop playing politics with this. The environment agency works with local councils and boroughs.

And is doing a piss poor job and has been doing for ages. I dont care who runs the damn thing, it is ultimately Cameron's responsibility.

As for building in flood plains.. that is tricky since technically building anywhere near a river is a potential flood plain. The whole city of London is built on a flood plain for example. There are methods to levitate these types of floods but that requires investment and as long as government is unwilling to invest then well. Ask the Dutch about flooding and the need to invest... they are there helping out right now, so it is easy to ask. They are providing the major pumping equipment because they have the expertise.

Hog wash. The lack of flood prevention... which is what the government is responsible for not local councils, is directly correlated to the problems of today.
True, and there were plenty of question to ask about that over the past decades (and will be again). Where were you back then, especially when Labour were in power and doing equally little about the issue? There's no point moaning about flood prevention now other than for political capital.

There have been flooding in various places over the past couple of months. There's been some bad weather over the winter. I'm sure you know absolutely nothing about what British government, national or local, have actually done about it though.

And there we have it. You're using these people's pain, suffering and even deaths to feed your own political preferences. Politico scum who would sell their own grandmother for a vote!

And is doing a piss poor job and has been doing for ages.

That I won't argue - however housebuilders have built recently on floodplains. That simplifies this though because some areas flooded have been built on since the Romans were here and have not flooded. London which you cite is an old Roman town and has some elements of flood protection.

I dont care who runs the damn thing, it is ultimately Cameron's responsibility.

And we are also facing extremes which have never happened before in such short succession. Is Global warming also Cameron's problem? Is the jet stream Cameron's to sort out?

That I won't argue - however housebuilders have built recently on floodplains. That simplifies this though because some areas flooded have been built on since the Romans were here and have not flooded. London which you cite is an old Roman town and has some elements of flood protection.

Yes, as I said it is tricky. There is also the issue with new council developments being built on flood plains and then sold off to people without the buyers being told of the flood plain issue. There is no easy answer. But one relatively easy but pricey solution is to help with the problem by dredging and building run off systems up stream. After all they built the London Barrier for many many millions for exactly this type of problem.

And we are also facing extremes which have never happened before in such short succession. Is Global warming also Cameron's problem? Is the jet stream Cameron's to sort out?

Of course not. It is extreme but it is also not out of the blue. The rains have been going on for months and there was floods last year and the year before that and so on. Yes in different places but also in the same places and yet the government, which is Cameron.. did very little and in fact cut funding according to some.

My point is, instead of waiting for things to happen, then this government or who ever is in power, should be more proactive and help prevent such disasters when possible. Instead they now have to deal with massive floods and insurance companies that refuse to pay out and desperate people left hanging out to dry.

True, and there were plenty of question to ask about that over the past decades (and will be again). Where were you back then, especially when Labour were in power and doing equally little about the issue? There's no point moaning about flood prevention now other than for political capital.

That is exactly my point. The Tories saw what happened under Labour.. how unprepared the UK was. And yet almost 4 years into the Tory reign of terror, they are just if not even worse prepared for such events that everyone knows will happen again and again. Yes it is unprecedented rains due to a rare fluke in the Earth's weather systems, but as I said they knew there would be problems in the areas years ago based on what happened under Labour and yet the investments were not made and the dredging was not done.

There have been flooding in various places over the past couple of months. There's been some bad weather over the winter. I'm sure you know absolutely nothing about what British government, national or local, have actually done about it though.

They have not done enough and that is the point as I stated above.

And there we have it. You're using these people's pain, suffering and even deaths to feed your own political preferences. Politico scum who would sell their own grandmother for a vote!

My own political preference has nothing to do with this.. and in fact I were to vote in the UK, I would most likely vote Tory. My issue has to do with incompetence at every level of government that is becoming more and more prevalent not only in the UK but all over Europe and the US. Time and time again business interests are more important than the lives of ordinary people and this flooding situation shows it yet again. It is more important for Cameron to give the rich tax breaks and banks a free hand, than protect his own parties constituents... because this is going on in predominately Tory areas of the UK... in middle class UK. It will bite Cameron in the ass next year.

--There is also the issue with new council developments being built on flood plains and then sold off to people without the buyers being told of the flood plain issue.

When you buy a house, you do get a flood risk report. Chris Smith hasn't been popular this week for saying that people need to think about their houses if they bought a house in a flood risk area.

--There is no easy answer. But one relatively easy but pricey solution is to help with the problem by dredging and building run off systems up stream. After all they built the London Barrier for many many millions for exactly this type of problem.

What you mean is "cheap answer." The London barrier was built because London is such an important centre. It's more than dredging and run off - stopping farmers changing river courses, stopping the marsh lands uphill being drained and stopping hillside forests being cut makes a difference but we do have a jetstream which has set a conveyor belt of constant heavy storms is the big problem. No one government in the UK can change that.

-- Of course not. It is extreme but it is also not out of the blue. The rains have been going on for months and there was floods last year and the year before that and so on.

No, 2 years ago about this time there were predictions of drought and water shortages.

Yes in different places but also in the same places and yet the government, which is Cameron.. did very little and in fact cut funding according to some.

Budget deficit. You've been banging on for ages about UK govt overspend. I don't like the budget cuts but it has to be dealt with and cuts are happening everywhere.

My point is, instead of waiting for things to happen, then this government or who ever is in power, should be more proactive and help prevent such disasters when possible. Instead they now have to deal with massive floods and insurance companies that refuse to pay out and desperate people left hanging out to dry.

Well as Honestjoe said - some decisions are made by local councils such as this one recently - Link You are right about insurance companies in future - they will pay out for now in new flood areas. Something needs to be done for the long term though.

They have not done enough and that is the point as I stated above.
How do you know? Do you know what government has done in response to the floods? Do you know what they could have realistically done but couldn't? I'm not saying there is no failure anywhere, I just doubt you actually know what you're talking about and are just spouting the media line that meets your preconceptions. Flooding is much harder to deal with that anyone who hasn't experienced it every imagines.

My own political preference has nothing to do with this..
I'm not convinced. You expressed a strong desire that the Conservative party, alone and specifically, suffered politically in the next election. Just blaming "The Conservatives" for the all that is bad with the flooding is simply stupid. That kind of petty party-level politicing has no place in this kind of situation at this kind of time (in a perfect world, it wouldn't have any place at all).

My issue has to do with incompetence at every level of government that is becoming more and more prevalent not only in the UK but all over Europe and the US.
I don't see why general quality of governments would suddenly get worse across the board. I'd suggest it's public perception that has changed. How accurate that perception is and how much it's influenced by spin and lies is a different matter of course. That isn't a discussion for here and now either.

When you buy a house, you do get a flood risk report. Chris Smith hasn't been popular this week for saying that people need to think about their houses if they bought a house in a flood risk area.

Do you? I have been trying to look it up but cant find anything that remotely is mandatory. I know in Denmark such a study is mandatory for every sale, but is it in the UK?

And then there is this case..

Why were these houses built on a flood plain? - Telegraph

What you mean is "cheap answer." The London barrier was built because London is such an important centre. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25929644

Yes and that is understandable.

- stopping farmers changing river courses, stopping the marsh lands uphill being drained and stopping hillside forests being cut makes a difference but we do have a jetstream which has set a conveyor belt of constant heavy storms is the big problem. No one government in the UK can change that.

It is more than dredging and run off..... point is very little of it was ever done! And yes you cant do anything about the jetstream.. yet!.. I hope one day we can control the weather :) like in Star Trek nod! :)

No, 2 years ago about this time there were predictions of drought and water shortages.

And then what happened? That article was from February and what happened from April 2012? And if that was not enough, what about the massive floods of 2007? Or 2008? Or the Cumbria floods of 2009? It is not like flooding is new to the UK, and yet every year almost like clockwork there is some sort of disaster some where with flooding, and often in the same places.

Budget deficit. You've been banging on for ages about UK govt overspend. I don't like the budget cuts but it has to be dealt with and cuts are happening everywhere.

Yes but it is a hell of a lot cheaper on the economy to spend a billion pounds on basic flood protection than having to pay for the 10s of billions in damages. Just add 1% tax to the City of London bonuses and you pay for the flood protection... yes that is a bit sarcastic.

Well as Honestjoe said - some decisions are made by local councils such as this one recently - Link You are right about insurance companies in future - they will pay out for now in new flood areas. Something needs to be done for the long term though.

Some yes, but far from most. And most local councils in this case are Tory.

As for the future. There has been floods almost every year for almost a decade.. when will politicians realize they have to do something? It seems to me that there is a total lack of vision among UK politicians these days (and among many across Europe and the US) and they are more focused on promoting the next lie and keeping their asses clear than actually doing things.

How do you know? Do you know what government has done in response to the floods? Do you know what they could have realistically done but couldn't? I'm not saying there is no failure anywhere, I just doubt you actually know what you're talking about and are just spouting the media line that meets your preconceptions. Flooding is much harder to deal with that anyone who hasn't experienced it every imagines.

Well considering the amount of floods happening and towns cut off for months, then the government response has been piss poor. They only called in the military a few days ago for **** sake.

Yes it is hard to deal with floods once they are here, which is why you have to prepare for them.

I'm not convinced. You expressed a strong desire that the Conservative party, alone and specifically, suffered politically in the next election. Just blaming "The Conservatives" for the all that is bad with the flooding is simply stupid. That kind of petty party-level politicing has no place in this kind of situation at this kind of time (in a perfect world, it wouldn't have any place at all).

Because they are running the place and are the ones being incompetent.

I don't see why general quality of governments would suddenly get worse across the board. I'd suggest it's public perception that has changed. How accurate that perception is and how much it's influenced by spin and lies is a different matter of course. That isn't a discussion for here and now either.

No the general quality of governments have changed as our democracies have eroded more and more into corporatism's. Some countries are worse than others of course but the trend is clear and it is very worrying. Gone are the days where government was by the people for the people..

In Denmark they sold off part of a public utility to an American bank that was behind the economic crisis and gave said bank veto rights in the public utility. There was no open bidding. This is a left wing government btw.

In Spain one scandal after another hits the Conservative Party, with corruption at the highest levels, and forcing through draconian abortion laws and removing rights of protest and so on.

And then there is the UK and its incompetent government which has done more 180s on policy than any other government I have seen in the last 30+ years. That they are now focusing on immigration from the EU and blaming foreigners for their problems, only shows how incompetent they are.

The list goes on and on over all of Europe and the US.

You're right it has been going on for months, but where we are now, isn't where we were at the start; it has gotten progressively worse. You would be correct in saying the government were slow to react. The military were not needed initially, so again you're off track. If we discuss flood defences, then we need to look back many, many decades. This also brings to the fore 'climate issues'--another argument altogether. This is definitely not a time to politicise the issue, it would have been an identical set of 'slow responses' under a Labour government as we are seeing now, fact.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom