• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mainstream Media Largely Ignored GOP's Obstruction Of Veterans Health Bill

Bob N

Weekend Political Pundit
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

While mainstream media coverage of the serious allegations of improper practices at certain Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health clinics has been extensive in recent weeks, a bill to expand health care for veterans that was blocked by Senate Republicans in February received little attention.

My goodness. Apparently it's OK to talk about some things in the VA yet if the GOP does not wish to approve of wider coverage for veterans it's not news worthy? Really? :roll:

My goodness. Apparently it's OK to talk about some things in the VA yet if the GOP does not wish to approve of wider coverage for veterans it's not news worthy? Really? :roll:

This shouldn't be in the bias against media forum, that makes the VA issues out to be an issue of politics where Dems and Reps can trade blows about who did the worse job and how if you just give me this next election the problem will be solved. In reality the problem with the VA isn't way its issues are reported in the media but that it has a decades long problem of failing to treat veterans in the way we would all like.

This isn't some silly scandal where your complaints about how its reported is your primary concern, this is real, people die as a result of it, the fact that you feel the media should have been harder on Republicans does nothing to solve the issue. So the question is are you going to be a partisan, whine and complain about media coverage impacting your party or their party, or are you going to be a problem solver and hold whomever happens to be in office accountable with your voice?

This shouldn't be in the bias against media forum, that makes the VA issues out to be an issue of politics where Dems and Reps can trade blows about who did the worse job and how if you just give me this next election the problem will be solved. In reality the problem with the VA isn't way its issues are reported in the media but that it has a decades long problem of failing to treat veterans in the way we would all like.
Well in a way I do agree with you; however, as you know we definitely already know about the earlier problem of vets waiting too long for medical service. Should that have been brought up? You're darn right; it should be right along with the story that should have been revealed back in February. And I suggest that both be related when discussed; the more you bring the lawmakers in on this just as much as the White House, you would find many things about problems like these in the VA would be solved quicker.

Well in a way I do agree with you; however, as you know we definitely already know about the earlier problem of vets waiting too long for medical service. Should that have been brought up? You're darn right; it should be right along with the story that should have been revealed back in February. And I suggest that both be related when discussed; the more you bring the lawmakers in on this just as much as the White House, you would find many things about problems like these in the VA would be solved quicker.
Not sure what this February story 'reveals.' The problem at the VA isn't the result of some political funding battle in DC. It is the result of corruption and mismanagement. And since it falls under the executive branch, the credit or in this case, the blame, goes with the executive. That would be Obama. He needs to step up and take action. Maybe he could use his pen. And his phone.

Really? Since the MSM does not cover every non-event concerning the VA it should ignore reports of covering up the delay in provoding VA facility care that might deny some VA boss a perforance bonus?

The MSM cannot be expected to report on every spending bill that fails to get passed by congress. It appears that, like many bills, this one lacked any "pay as you go" provisions - either additional revenue or compensating cuts to other federal spending. There is no end to the nice things that can be done by gov't when they are permitted to simply add to deficit spending. The restoration of spending cuts (skipping military retirement COLA additions) approved in order to get other spending increases are always tacked onto the latest "mom's are good people" bill, or in this case, "emergency" funding for new VA care facilities.

Not sure what this February story 'reveals.'
You don't?! Try clicking on my link in the OP.

The problem at the VA isn't the result of some political funding battle in DC. It is the result of corruption and mismanagement. And since it falls under the executive branch, the credit or in this case, the blame, goes with the executive. That would be Obama. He needs to step up and take action. Maybe he could use his pen. And his phone.
From my link in the OP.

In February, Senate GOP Blocked Bill To Expand Veterans' Health Care, Open 27 New VA Health Facilities. Citing budget concerns, Senate Republicans blocked legislation in February introduced by Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders (I-VT) that would have greatly expanded health care and education programs for veterans and allowed the VA to open 27 new health facilities:

Veterans groups expressed frustration with the bill's failure, saying it fell victim to Washington's partisan politics. The measure was four votes shy of a 60-vote threshold required for it to have advanced.

[...]

The legislation called for expanding several veterans benefits, including dental and medical care, educational assistance and the caretaker stipends that currently apply only to post-Sept. 11 veterans. It also required the repeal of a recent cut to the cost-of-living adjustments for future military retirees and would have allowed VA to open 27 new health facilities. [The Washington Post, 2/27/14]
You call blocking the opening of 27 new health facilities not a funding battle?! :shock: Can't see your reasoning there. :doh

Not sure what this February story 'reveals.' The problem at the VA isn't the result of some political funding battle in DC. It is the result of corruption and mismanagement. And since it falls under the executive branch, the credit or in this case, the blame, goes with the executive. That would be Obama. He needs to step up and take action. Maybe he could use his pen. And his phone.

Problems at the VA go back as far as I remember. I would be nice if it received both the proper funding (which does play into this recent kerfuffle, whether you like it or not) and proper oversight.

Really? Since the MSM does not cover every non-event concerning the VA it should ignore reports of covering up the delay in provoding VA facility care that might deny some VA boss a perforance bonus?
The opening or of 27 health facilities is a performance booster alright; it may have saved more lives

Gee....

Another GOP bait thread.

Yawn..

There are way more interesting things to do......like clean the toilet
Sorry. I disagree. It's not a bait thread; it's about expanding health care and education programs for veterans and allowing the VA to open 27 new health facilities.

I too would like to know why veterans are waiting too long for medical assistance. Perhaps the two stories are related--the main one that is being discussed now in the MSM and the one that Media Matters found.

The MSM is now Fox and Fox-Lite, their first cousin CNN.
Try getting MSNBC at any hotel chain out west.
The war on the medeia from the right is over .

The MSM cannot be expected to report on every spending bill that fails to get passed by congress. It appears that, like many bills, this one lacked any "pay as you go" provisions - either additional revenue or compensating cuts to other federal spending. There is no end to the nice things that can be done by gov't when they are permitted to simply add to deficit spending. The restoration of spending cuts (skipping military retirement COLA additions) approved in order to get other spending increases are always tacked onto the latest "mom's are good people" bill, or in this case, "emergency" funding for new VA care facilities.

Sorry. I disagree. It's not a bait thread; it's about expanding health care and education programs for veterans and allowing the VA to open 27 new health facilities.

I too would like to know why veterans are waiting too long for medical assistance. Perhaps the two stories are related--the main one that is being discussed now in the MSM and the one that Media Matters found.
You would wonder why such a neo-con like John McCain wouldn't have known about Phoenix long ago.
Just another disaster inherited from the decade of disaster .

Last edited:
This is a classic apples-and-oranges deception. What would have been the point of expanding services when the services already being offered were so beset by corruption and mendacity?:peace
So nothing Obama offered in the past would have been acceptable due to phony charges from you people.
More false equivalence from your boy Cantor .

So nothing Obama offered in the past would have been acceptable due to phony charges from you people.
More false equivalence from your boy Cantor .

Which VA charges would you class as "phony?":peace

This shouldn't be in the bias against media forum, that makes the VA issues out to be an issue of politics where Dems and Reps can trade blows about who did the worse job and how if you just give me this next election the problem will be solved.
When is the last time the GOP didn't make something in the defense department about politics?
It's all about the Senate in 2014 and the Presidency in 2016, as you've seen since Obama was relected ..

This is a classic apples-and-oranges deception. What would have been the point of expanding services when the services already being offered were so beset by corruption and mendacity?:peace

The services already being offered were insufficient and have been for years.

I'm not sure at what you are getting at here. Are you saying that the GOP knew there was corruption going on in the VA before the main story broke out while they were blocking the Veteran Bill in February? If so than why not do something? They are lawmakers are they not? :confused:

The services already being offered were insufficient and have been for years.

Quite possibly true, but impossible to demonstrate in the shadow of the mountain of corruption coming to light now.:peace

Quite possibly true, but impossible to demonstrate in the shadow of the mountain of corruption coming to light now.:peace

The "mountain of corruption," from the looks of it, appears to be bureaucrats at the Phoenix VA hiding the fact that the services were insufficient to save their own asses.

I'm not sure at what you are getting at here. Are you saying that the GOP knew there was corruption going on in the VA before the main story broke out while they were blocking the Veteran Bill in February? If so than why not do something? They are lawmakers are they not? :confused:

The VA's poor management was no secret. Why throw good money after bad?:peace

The "mountain of corruption," from the looks of it, appears to be bureaucrats hiding the fact that the services were insufficient to save their own asses.

Let's see where the investigations lead.:peace

Back
Top Bottom