• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mail Order/Online Steak

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We have tried Omaha Steaks once or twice and they are ok. The missus has found a very good selection at the local supermarket, so that is where we get our butcher meat.

A family member sent us a selection from the Kansas City Steak Company. The box included chicken, steak and pork chops. The chicken was ok. The steaks were a disappointment with too much gristle and very little marbling. The pork chops were about 1 1/2” thick and pretty much inedible when the meat reached the recommended internal temperature for pork. The giver is a muckety-muck at an elite marketing company and I think these boxes go out to her business clients and associates. Do I clue her in that maybe she should find another source of Christmas gifts or let it be?

We have tried Omaha Steaks once or twice and they are ok. The missus has found a very good selection at the local supermarket, so that is where we get our butcher meat.

A family member sent us a selection from the Kansas City Steak Company. The box included chicken, steak and pork chops. The chicken was ok. The steaks were a disappointment with too much gristle and very little marbling. The pork chops were about 1 1/2” thick and pretty much inedible when the meat reached the recommended internal temperature for pork. The giver is a muckety-muck at an elite marketing company and I think these boxes go out to her business clients and associates. Do I clue her in that maybe she should find another source of Christmas gifts or let it be?
Are you a competitor? If not, I think saying thank you and telling your experience would be a positive.

You say she's a family member? Probably not best to tell someone who isn't "family" to find another source - even though they probably should.

I guess it depends on how good your relationship is with her.

I went to their website and checked out their offerings. Given the photographs and selections, I was impressed - and even salivated a tad as I love a good steak myself. But being a steak lover, and one who has cooked over 10,000 of them myself (working as a steak chef at a high-end steak house through college), I'm also pretty finicky about steak quality - knowing fully well the difference between "good" and "marginal" steaks. That said, pricing for their gift boxes was not inexpensive. I imagine if she gave multiple such gifts out it set her company back a tad - which goes to her/their desire to give something of quality - which is saying something.

Giving perishable items as gifts is ever the gamble - and imho even more so for something like steak; so if you have that sort of relationship with her that is open and frank, I'd maybe open with the bold above and take it from there, being tactfully honest in a genuine desire to help. I don't know though - tough call. The other option is to just leave it, be genuinely thankful and no one's the wiser.

One Christmas I bought a prime rib roast from Kansas City Steaks and one from Walmart and the Walmart one was so much better.

Yes. I give similar gifts to clients and believe me I would want to know if my clients were being screwed with substandard product. Companies get away with crap because people are polite. I provide top notch service I expect the same from my venders. Emphatic yes.

Personally because it is a gift, I vote for saying nothing unless you have a close relationship where honesty is truly valued

Personally because it is a gift, I vote for saying nothing unless you have a close relationship where honesty is truly valued
See George Carlin’s quote in my signature. She is from the missus’ side of the family and we have a frosty relationship.

See George Carlin’s quote in my signature. She is from the missus’ side of the family and we have a frosty relationship.
I have cooked some of the worse cuts for meats that turn out pretty good. My first tip is to use a good meat tenderizing tool and/or marinating the meat before cooking

I have cooked some of the worse cuts for meats that turn out pretty good. My first tip is to use a good meat tenderizing tool and/or marinating the meat before cooking
I had never heard of Kansas City Steaks before, they advertise themselves that their offerings don’t need such modifications.

I had never heard of Kansas City Steaks before, they advertise themselves that their offerings don’t need such modifications.
Part of marketing. LOL On a side note - I don't see any signatures

In a search they seem to come up a lot. I have only used Omaha Steaks but I don't follow their cooking instructions

Kansas City Steaks, Chicago Steaks as well as Omaha Steaks do come up for the best online steak companies ..... I still say it is the way they are cooked

Last edited:
Normally I’d agree. But because it’s not a commodity kind of gift and so quality can vary widely from vendor to vendor and because the giver may well send the same thing as a gift to someone else I think it makes sense to tell them.

Normally I’d agree. But because it’s not a commodity kind of gift and so quality can vary widely from vendor to vendor and because the giver may well send the same thing as a gift to someone else I think it makes sense to tell them.
To each his own. Kansas City Steaks are in the top 5 companies but I've never tried them so can't give an informed opinion. I still believe, however, it is the way a meat is cooked

When it comes to certain things I do not trust mail order or curbside pick up. Won't order wood, meat, produce, and easily breakable stuff. I know anytime I go to the store I make the stuff I am buying is good. I make sure the wood I buy isn't warped or cracked and doesn't have wane, pitch pockets,checks and knots in the wrong spot. When I go to the grocery store I make the meat doesn't have too much grissle, and isn't too fatty and the produce is not wilted, not bruised and looks good. I can't imagine someone making barely above minimum wage who has a quota to fulfill going through the same trouble I go through for as little money they make. Plus weather could delay your shipment and those trailers going back and forth between different hubs are not refrigerated. So if a certain area is flooded, iced over then you are not getting your stuff in a timely manner.

When it comes to certain things I do not trust mail order or curbside pick up. Won't order wood, meat, produce, and easily breakable stuff. I know anytime I go to the store I make the stuff I am buying is good. I make sure the wood I buy isn't warped or cracked and doesn't have wane, pitch pockets,checks and knots in the wrong spot. When I go to the grocery store I make the meat doesn't have too much grissle, and isn't too fatty and the produce is not wilted, not bruised and looks good. I can't imagine someone making barely above minimum wage who has a quota to fulfill going through the same trouble I go through for as little money they make. Plus weather could delay your shipment and those trailers going back and forth between different hubs are not refrigerated. So if a certain area is flooded, iced over then you are not getting your stuff in a timely manner.
It was a Christmas gift.

Snake River Farms for me.

Back
Top Bottom