• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mail-in sorting machines being deactivated! Why?

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Mail-in sorting machines being deactivated. Why?

The Post Office Is Deactivating Mail Sorting Machines Ahead of the Election
Good thing nobody's predicting a huge surge in mail any time soon.

The United States Postal Service is removing mail sorting machines from facilities around the country without any official explanation or reason given, Motherboard has learned through interviews with postal workers and union officials. In many cases, these are the same machines that would be tasked with sorting ballots, calling into question promises made by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy that the USPS has “ample capacity” to handle the predicted surge in mail-in ballots.

In May, Trump put in a big donor of his in charge of the Post Office. A man with no past experience for the job. Why would he do that?

New Postal Service head is a top Trump donor. What does that mean for its future?
Louis DeJoy, who has been a top donor to Trump and the Republican National Committee, was in charge of fundraising for the 2020 Republican National Convention.

The new head of the U.S. Postal Service took office Monday, but his close ties to President Donald Trump, who has long pushed for changes in how the post office operates, have raised questions about his leadership.

USPS Postmaster General and CEO Louis DeJoy has been a top donor to Trump and the Republican National Committee, and he was in charge of fundraising for the 2020 Republican National Convention.

Louis DeJoy is an American businessman and Republican Party fundraiser appointed in May 2020 by the United States Postal Service's ... DeJoy is the first postmaster in two decades without prior experience in the United Postal Service ... On August 7, 2020, DeJoy announced he had reassigned or displaced 23 senior USPS officials,

Trump has been worrying about mail-in ballot fraud for months even though never in our voting history has there ever been a big problem there.

Trump's scare tactics on mail-in voting could disenfranchise seniors

President Trump's rationale for postponing the 2020 elections is an unfounded concern over "rampant fraud" if Americans vote by mail. Discrediting mail-in voting is not only dangerous for our democracy, it could lead to the disenfranchisement of seniors whose safest option is casting mail-in ballots.

Many seniors are rightly worried about the risk of voting in person during the Covid-19 pandemic, which is ravaging the nation's elderly communities. Older individuals who volunteer as election judges and poll workers are already declining to serve in November due to health concerns. Cautious seniors have not even ventured out to visit family or to pick up groceries in the past five months. There is no reason for them to gamble with their health by going to the polls. Mail-in voting is safe and secure. Contrary to the President's claims, fraud is extremely rare.

Is this his plan to affect the election in his favor to prevent those most likely to use mail-in ballots to not vote? Is that possible?

If it is not, can anyone explain these moves, especially the one that came out today about mail-in sorting machines being deactivated?

Is this a true conspiracy by the president to win the election he is losing by a landslide? He is the one that is constantly throwing out conspiracy theories. Is this, he making one come true?

Last edited:
I think that at this point, we can say it's quite clear that Trump is trying to rig Mail-In voting.

America is finished as a nation if 40% of the country stands by and lets him get away with this.

Even if Biden wins, what this has clearly shown, is that one can openly attack the Democratic Process As clear as day and get away with it.

Someone far smarter and more capable than Trump can use this to maximum advantage and they will.

In January, Trump put in a big donor of his in charge of the Post Office. A man with no past experience for the job. Why would he do that?

Trump has been worrying about mail-in ballot fraud for months even though never in our voting history has there ever been a big problem there.

Is this his plan to affect the election in his favor to prevent those most likely to use mail-in ballots to not vote? Is that possible?

If it is not, can anyone explain these moves, especially the one that came out today about mail-in sorting machines being deactivated?

Is this a true conspiracy theory by the president to win the election he is losing by a landslide?

There is no question at this point.
- He's been ordering his supporters to rail against mail-in voting and they dutifully obeyed.
- He's blocking funding USPS needs to function.
- He's had his toady:
-- Take functioning sorting machines offline
-- End overtime pay
-- Prohibit drivers from taking any more mail if it would cause their route to take longer than usual

Etc. It's a deliberate effort to steal the election.

Why indeed? It's a real head scratcher that I doubt anyone will ever be able to figure out. It's just one of life's mysteries. It is what it is.

Trump is trying to have fair elections....like Lukashenko :roll:

- He's been ordering his supporters to rail against mail-in voting and they dutifully obeyed.
- He's had his toady:
-- End overtime pay
-- Prohibit drivers from taking any more mail if it would cause their route to take longer than usual

Its been amazing to read the idiotic bilge that his drones have been posting here about mail in voting.

One person today even said that no one should be allowed to mail in a ballot until all the debates have been held...oy vey

this doesn't just suppress the vote. i heard a pundit point out that this will almost certainly also hurt people who get their medicines by mail, which many of us are forced to do by our employers.

voter suppression is up there on the scumbag scale. anyone who supports it whether directly or tacitly is tainted by it.

I think that at this point, we can say it's quite clear that Trump is trying to rig Mail-In voting.

Yes it seems he will call the election a fraud when all the mail in votes are not able to be counted on election night and he is doing anything he can to make sure they won't be. That is traitorous behavior and he is violating the Constitution. States will now need to provide collection boxes for voters to drop off their ballots which adds another possibility of fraud especially in Republican States. Boxes of ballots have a tendency to go missing in minority areas in Republican States.

Last edited:
America is finished as a nation if 40% of the country stands by and lets him get away with this.

Even if Biden wins, what this has clearly shown, is that one can openly attack the Democratic Process As clear as day and get away with it.

Someone far smarter and more capable than Trump can use this to maximum advantage and they will.

Yes, I agree. A precedent has been set and someone that is as crooked as Trump is but has more brains, more competence, and more cunning would turn this nation into his own personal playground.

- He's had his toady:
-- End overtime pay

And it seems that Kushner has been meeting with Kanye, possibly trying to coordinate efforts to get his Presidential campaign off the ground since it could harm Biden.

Well it's about time congress put a choke collar on trump. This post office thing is way over the line. Trump is obviously having some kind of mental breakdown

Congress should act. Unfortunately to use the 25th the vice president and republicans in congress would have to join in. My hope is he will get so angry he strokes out!

Why indeed? It's a real head scratcher that I doubt anyone will ever be able to figure out. It's just one of life's mysteries. It is what it is.

Shoulda' stuck a smiley on that post.

Yes, I agree. A precedent has been set and someone that is as crooked as Trump is but has more brains, more competence, and more cunning would turn this nation into his own personal playground.
I don't think you need anyone with more brains. Trump is doing a pretty good job, as it goes!

Well it's about time congress put a choke collar on trump. This post office thing is way over the line. Trump is obviously having some kind of mental breakdown

Congress should act. Unfortunately to use the 25th the vice president and republicans in congress would have to join in. My hope is he will get so angry he strokes out!
There will definitely be no Congressional actions. McConnel's protection of him during impeachment, assured Trump he had license to do whatever he wants.

USPS removing mail-sorting machines is latest change ahead of election - Business Insider

In a statement to Business Insider, a USPS representative, Dave Partenheimer, said the notion that mail-sorting machines were being deactivated to sabotage mail-in voting was "erroneous."

"The Postal Service routinely moves equipment around its network as necessary to match changing mail and package volumes," Partenheimer said. "Package volume is up, but mail volume continues to decline. Adapting our processing infrastructure to the current volumes will ensure more efficient, cost effective operations and better service for our customers."

If, and that's a huge IF, this explanation is true, then the post office should be able to provide data supporting their decision.

I don't think you need anyone with more brains. Trump is doing a pretty good job, as it goes!

Not really, what he has done has created a lot of damage but in doing it, he has messed everything up for himself and the Republicans. If someone like Putin would have been the president. he would win reelection and the large amount of the public would give him high approval grades. There is a difference between corruption done well and corruption done badly and Putin and Trump are good examples of each. You don't see protests or rioting in Russia and there is absolutely no risk of Putin being taken out of office.

The proof is in the pudding, inasmuch as Trump wants to be like Putin but he falls way short of him.

USPS removing mail-sorting machines is latest change ahead of election - Business Insider

If, and that's a huge IF, this explanation is true, then the post office should be able to provide data supporting their decision.

In addition, with mail-in voting looming this year and a deluge of mail in votes expected, if packages were the reason, they could have waited another 3 months to start moving the sorting machines out..............after the election. 3 month wait is nothing.

In May, Trump put in a big donor of his in charge of the Post Office. A man with no past experience for the job. Why would he do that?Trump has been worrying about mail-in ballot fraud for months even though never in our voting history has there ever been a big problem there.

Is this a true conspiracy by the president to win the election he is losing by a landslide? He is the one that is constantly throwing out conspiracy theories. Is this, he making one come true?

I hate to spoil your conspiracy theory, but it’s called a flat sorter. (Huge machine full of printers, computers, labelers, large motors, etc. very complicated machine. It was designed to sort magazines and large envelopes.

usps flat,sorter - Bing

Due to no one ordering paper magazines anymore, (when is the last time you mailed a letter), these flat sorters get very little use, and still cost the same to maintain.

When magazine/flyers type mail crawls to a near stop, they are moth balled or moved to a location that can use it. (No longer profitable)

I realize you like your conspiracy theory better, but it’s wrong.

It’s strictly based on individual machines numbers (productivity)
That causes a flat sorter to be moved or moth balled.

I worked maintenance on these machines plus DBCS’s, SPBS’s, etc for a decade.

Last edited:
In addition, with mail-in voting looming this year and a deluge of mail in votes expected, if packages were the reason, they could have waited another 3 months to start moving the sorting machines out..............after the election. 3 month wait is nothing.

FedEx and UPS should step up and offer free delivery of ballots.

A huge PR coup and it would really piss off the toddler in chief.

In May, Trump put in a big donor of his in charge of the Post Office. A man with no past experience for the job. Why would he do that?

I am going to try to vote early and in person. My husband has to do an absentee ballot. We have already requested it.

This is such nonesense that I hope we never have to deal with again.

I think we should all try to vote in person. I don't trust Trump, and what he is attempting to do should be illegal. I don't trust the Supreme Court to help the American people hold a fair and honest election either. We live in crazy times. We need to get rid of Trump, and then rectify this messed up system so that we never have a situation like Belarus currently has. :(

It doesn't matter what they say to the histrionic TDS posters. The USPS started reconfiguring last year to bring in new machines that they are switching over to in phases to automate package sorting that is normally done by hand. That will require things to be moved around to make room for them. In addition, they are looking to replace most of its fleet which will cost billions of dollars which adds pressure to their budgets.

I agree. It is very scary at times in America right now. We are currently drowning in conspiracy theories. Even if we get a vaccine, there are so many right wing anti vaxers that scientists are worried. So many people are anti science.

Yes, we are grateful Trump is not very smart. Unfortunately, neither are 38 to 40 percent of Americans. :(

this doesn't just suppress the vote. i heard a pundit point out that this will almost certainly also hurt people who get their medicines by mail, which many of us are forced to do by our employers.

voter suppression is up there on the scumbag scale. anyone who supports it whether directly or tacitly is tainted by it.

I hope we can actually start draining the swamp Nov 3rd of this year.

Back
Top Bottom