• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mail-in ballot applications REJECTED in TEXAS !

soap box

A Lincoln democrat
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

AUSTIN (Texas Tribune) —" Hundreds of Texans seeking to vote by mail in the upcoming March primary elections are seeing their applications for ballots rejected by local election offices trying to comply with stricter voting rules enacted by Texas Republicans last year.

Election officials in some of the state’s largest counties are rejecting an alarming number of mail-in applications because they don’t meet the state’s new identification requirements. Some applications are being rejected because of a mismatch between the new identification requirements and the data the state has on file to verify voters."

THe details can be found in the article, half the applicatios for ballots had a different ID number than what was stored in official county records. Please recall, mail in ballots can be requested in Texas, only for seniors, diabled folks and folks who can prove they won't be in the county during the election days. So we are not talking about college kids in Austin, or work-a-day typical people, the folks making these requests are preparing for the March 1 primary, so time might be limited .

"Under Texas’ new voting law, absentee voters must include their driver’s license number or state ID number or, if they don’t have one, the last four digits of their Social Security number on their applications. If they don’t have those IDs, voters can indicate they have not been issued that identification. Counties must match those numbers against the information in an individual’s voter file to approve them for a mail-in ballot."

Here's a summary from August of the parts of the law, I believe all these points made it into the final law.

The problem is that for other texans who are not seniors or disabled, won't the same thing happen when they try to register? The point is that if this is a problem for a predominantly white county, among seniors and disabled folks,
can we expect to see more preelection confusion from the Great State of Texas this November?

OR , is this evidence that half the county is trying to vote illegally?

OR is this an example that the NEW Voter Integrity law working in Texas?

AUSTIN (Texas Tribune) —" Hundreds of Texans seeking to vote by mail in the upcoming March primary elections are seeing their applications for ballots rejected by local election offices trying to comply with stricter voting rules enacted by Texas Republicans last year.

Election officials in some of the state’s largest counties are rejecting an alarming number of mail-in applications because they don’t meet the state’s new identification requirements. Some applications are being rejected because of a mismatch between the new identification requirements and the data the state has on file to verify voters."

THe details can be found in the article, half the applicatios for ballots had a different ID number than what was stored in official county records. Please recall, mail in ballots can be requested in Texas, only for seniors, diabled folks and folks who can prove they won't be in the county during the election days. So we are not talking about college kids in Austin, or work-a-day typical people, the folks making these requests are preparing for the March 1 primary, so time might be limited .

"Under Texas’ new voting law, absentee voters must include their driver’s license number or state ID number or, if they don’t have one, the last four digits of their Social Security number on their applications. If they don’t have those IDs, voters can indicate they have not been issued that identification. Counties must match those numbers against the information in an individual’s voter file to approve them for a mail-in ballot."

Here's a summary from August of the parts of the law, I believe all these points made it into the final law.

The problem is that for other texans who are not seniors or disabled, won't the same thing happen when they try to register? The point is that if this is a problem for a predominantly white county, among seniors and disabled folks,
can we expect to see more preelection confusion from the Great State of Texas this November?

The requirements are fairly clear.
Application for a Ballot by Mail

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:​

• be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance;
  • be expected to give birth within three weeks before or after Election Day; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.
Actual form(pdf)
1642536887721.png

Lawsuits will ensue. Hopefully, a tsunami of court challenges might result in overturning the new requirements, or stay their enforcement until after the general election.

DOJ and others filed lawsuits last month on this and other changes passed last year...

While the requirement may be clear, which number was used when registering to vote, often many, many years ago is not so clear for many of these voters.
There are thousands of voter who have neither number on file...

Last summer, the Texas secretary of state’s office indicated that 2,045,419 registered voters lacked one of the two numbers in their voter file despite the office’s efforts to backfill that information in the state’s voter rolls. Another 266,661 voters didn’t have either number on file.

Those numbers have since dropped. As of Dec. 20, 702,257 voters had only one number on file, while 106,911 didn’t have either, according to updated figures provided by the Texas secretary of state’s office.

Not surprising.....this is actually NOT a new thing. When I was stationed in TX, I was our squadron's Voting Officer and TX DID NOT want the military voting, especially our younger enlisted. They would reject and "lose" absentee ballots left and right.

Rachel Maddow's show said about half of registrations are being denied. Just as intended.
How are they rejecting them? Are they requiring some kind of proof of the excuse? A letter ftom the doctor, your employer, your mother in Topeka?

Lawsuits will ensue. Hopefully, a tsunami of court challenges might result in overturning the new requirements, or stay their enforcement until after the general election.
The requirements are not new, they have been that way for decades.

How are they rejecting them? Are they requiring some kind of proof of the excuse? A letter ftom the doctor, your employer, your mother in Topeka?

There's very fine print at the bottom of the application, it says" This application is only good on a Tuesday in July, in a snowstorm, after 2 o'clock but not before 3, and you happen to be wearing green socks at the exact moment a bus with the number 3353 drives right in front of you."

Or you could go with Tex's post on #8, some folks can't remember the number they put ten years ago, and so they try a different one and it doesn't match. Never mind that they're 84 yearrs old and they've voted by mail from the same house for 20 years already, spit the ballot out because we got a new law!!

Which is my beef, if we are talking about seniors here, or disabled, and we are having this kind of delay and confusion, will we see more confusion when more people try to register?

While the requirement may be clear, which number was used when registering to vote, often many, many years ago is not so clear for many of these voters.
There are thousands of voter who have neither number on file...

Last summer, the Texas secretary of state’s office indicated that 2,045,419 registered voters lacked one of the two numbers in their voter file despite the office’s efforts to backfill that information in the state’s voter rolls. Another 266,661 voters didn’t have either number on file.

Those numbers have since dropped. As of Dec. 20, 702,257 voters had only one number on file, while 106,911 didn’t have either, according to updated figures provided by the Texas secretary of state’s office.

My Father is 95, and still manages to keep his ID and voter registration up to date, this is not rocket science!

The requirements are not new, they have been that way for decades.
I'm not sure I understand, why go through all the trouble if the new law is the same?

I thought these were the actual changes,
@BlueTex , don't stray too far, I'm gonna need your expert advice on this :)

It sure looks simple, but why are so many being rejected? They say because the numbers don't match the info the county already has. ( ? ) Maybe it's true, but the County judge is supposed to have a press conference later this afternoon, so I'm sure it will all be just fine.....
I suspect, a lot of people who do not qualify are still sending in their applications, simply to make the system look bad.

One of the cool things about passing new laws is that it confuses voters who are used to voting legally the old way and it gives the government an opportunity to disenfranchise them.

The more new laws, the more confusing it is, the greater opportunity to disenfranchise more people.

Pretty nifty, and it's all legal!

I'm sorry, but am I supposed think that asking for a driver's license/state id number or SS number is asking too much?

Well I don't think it's asking too much at all.

I don't think so either,
but

I suspect, a lot of people who do not qualify are still sending in their applications, simply to make the system look bad.
That would make sense if they were looking into the future and read the newspaper before it was printed so that they knew exactly what the problem was and then figured out how to send one more appication to make them look bad ????

Yeah well, this was the plan so I guess it's working. I bet I know which party those ballots belong to......

Yeah well, this was the plan so I guess it's working. I bet I know which party those ballots belong to......
Urban voters, same thing happened in San Antonio and Dallas, but to a lower percentage of rejections in Harris county. very interesting...

I don't think so either,
but

If the purpose of the new voter Integrity law is intended to disenfranchise people, it appears to be working like a charm.

My Father is 95, and still manages to keep his ID and voter registration up to date, this is not rocket science!
Unbelievable. They get a rejection letter and they respond with the correct information. All done from their living room couch. What's the issue?

During the pandemic, the county clerks were allowed to experiment with ways to encourage voting.
Drive through voting, ect, the Harris county clerk decided to send everyone in the largest county in Texas mail in ballots
even though almost no one qualified. When thousands of the mail in ballots were rejected (because they were never qualified to vote by mail),
there were a lot of complaints, because people had received the mail in ballots from an official source. (Democrat county clerk).
The legislature decided to clarify the requirements to vote in Texas, Expand early voting hours and days, and state that mail in ballots are
ONLY for those who qualify,

During the pandemic, the county clerks were allowed to experiment with ways to encourage voting.
Drive through voting, ect, the Harris county clerk decided to send everyone in the largest county in Texas mail in ballots
even though almost no one qualified. When thousands of the mail in ballots were rejected (because they were never qualified to vote by mail),
there were a lot of complaints, because people had received the mail in ballots from an official source. (Democrat county clerk).
The legislature decided to clarify the requirements to vote in Texas, Expand early voting hours and days, and state that mail in ballots are
ONLY for those who qualify,

More laws, more criminals. That's the GOP way.

Back
Top Bottom