• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MAID--DV issues

JRTurner

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Has anyone seen the Netflix series Maid?

It's a story about a mom who leaves in the middle of the night with her daughter. In the first episode, she goes to get help because they're dirt poor. The social worker asks if she called the police to report the inciting incident--which involved a glass dish being thrown at the wall near her head where it shattered and filled her hair with broken glass--and her response is something like, "And report that he didn't hit me?" She also says, "I'm not abused."

For the first half of the limited series, I couldn't see any abuse happening, just a bad relationship. Not until later in the series did I begin to understand she was abused. Did anyone else have the same experience? Or was I so conditioned as a child that I couldn't see this? It's hard to tell. The reason I stayed so long with my ex because after one incident of physical abuse where I left him for a year, he never hit me again. So I thought our relationship was typical--but I know now I was wrong. However, I didn't see constantly losing your temper as a sign of abuse either.

Anyway, I'm interested in other people's thoughts on this :)

Back
Top Bottom