• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Magnetic north just changed. Here's what that means.

Magnetic north has never sat still. In the last hundred years or so, the direction in which our compasses steadfastly point has lumbered ever northward, driven by Earth's churning liquid outer core some 1,800 miles beneath the surface. Yet in recent years, scientists noticed something unusual: Magnetic north's routine plod has shifted into high gear, sending it galloping across the Northern Hemisphere—and no one can entirely explain why.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...es-what-that-means/ar-BBTb3iR?ocid=spartandhp

For those that rely on paper maps, I wonder how much of a difference it will be when converting the GM angle, and if it will require new maps, or if a published magnetic angle by region will be sufficient to make the adjustment on paper?

The magnetic poles have fluctuated over time. This is one reason why GPS navigation is more reliable.

All you people are making fun but the world is ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax, simply ceasing to use any 'fossil fuels' in 10 to 12 years will fix the planet at no cost to anyone - see the Green New Deal (details soon to be released - they assure us).

Dyofm5hX0AEklf8.jpg

All you people are making fun but the world is ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will, eventually. You a lot sooner...

I wonder if climate scientists have put this change in speed into their models for climate change?

I wonder if climate scientists have put this change in speed into their models for climate change?

I wouldn't expect that change to be significant. The magnetic field does have an impact but I'd think it's the overall strength of it that matters a lot more than minor variations in its exact pole alignment.

I wouldn't expect that change to be significant. The magnetic field does have an impact but I'd think it's the overall strength of it that matters a lot more than minor variations in its exact pole alignment.

No doubt the strength of it does matter, but I'd bet that its movement has more of an effect than most people are willing to admit. Climate is essentially a fluctuation of hot and cold variances interacting with each other. Magnetics can produce friction, and therefore heat. If it moves into an area that is different than what it normally has been in what effect do you think that would have? Climate scientists have been warning for quite some time that it will only take a few degree's of temperature change to drastically affect how humans live on this planet. A butterfly effect of even a slight change in weather patterns caused by the friction of the pole moving faster than the climate can adjust could theoretically be quite drastic on the climate.

Of course, I may just be talking out my ass. ;) But I think it a valid question that probably shouldn't be overlooked. Better to be safe than sorry right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom