• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Magic mushrooms show promise in treatment for depression, study says

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Trial suggests psilocybin combined with psychological therapy is as effective as antidepressant drug

Magic mushrooms have a long and rich history. Now scientists say they could play an important role in the future, with their active ingredient a promising treatment for depression.

The results from a small, phase two clinical trial have revealed that two doses of psilocybin appears to be as effective as the common antidepressant escitalopram in treating moderate to severe major depressive disorder, at least when combined with psychological therapy.

“I think it is fair to say that the results signal hope that we may be looking at a promising alternative treatment for depression,” said Dr Robin Carhart-Harris, head of the centre for psychedelic research at Imperial College London and a co-author of the study.
=====================================================================
I've done 'silly-cybin' a couple of times & found it very entertaining. Everything had an Aztec-like motif. Which came first - the Aztecs or the 'shrooms?

It still blows my mind that opioids are being prescribed like they're candy while hallucinogens are illegal.

The worst impacts of opioids are crushing addiction and destroyed lives. The worst impact of psychedelics is that people insist on telling you about their stupid acid trips.

The funny thing about psilocybin is that Dr. Timothy Leary used it in psychotherapy 50 years ago. He had Sandoz-produced drug in tablet form.

It still blows my mind that opioids are being prescribed like they're candy while hallucinogens are illegal.

The worst impacts of opioids are crushing addiction and destroyed lives. The worst impact of psychedelics is that people insist on telling you about their stupid acid trips.

It was only a few...or several, now....years ago that I adamantly told the urgent care doc that while I was in pain the night before, I was in no pain at all and did not want anything for the pain, just antibiotics for the swollen infection along my jaw line (courtesy of an unexpected bone chip in a piece of meat).

He hands me prescription sheets a while later.

Amoxicillin. Good.
6 Vicodin. I mean... really? I said no thanks, and you're still gonna hand me this? What if I'd wanted them and pretended I was in monumental pain? You'd hand me 50? 100? Oy vey...

The funny thing about psilocybin is that Dr. Timothy Leary used it in psychotherapy 50 years ago. He had Sandoz-produced drug in tablet form.

Yip Leary and Hoffman wrote volumes on it...

Trial suggests psilocybin combined with psychological therapy is as effective as antidepressant drug

Magic mushrooms have a long and rich history. Now scientists say they could play an important role in the future, with their active ingredient a promising treatment for depression.

The results from a small, phase two clinical trial have revealed that two doses of psilocybin appears to be as effective as the common antidepressant escitalopram in treating moderate to severe major depressive disorder, at least when combined with psychological therapy.

“I think it is fair to say that the results signal hope that we may be looking at a promising alternative treatment for depression,” said Dr Robin Carhart-Harris, head of the centre for psychedelic research at Imperial College London and a co-author of the study.
=====================================================================
I've done 'silly-cybin' a couple of times & found it very entertaining. Everything had an Aztec-like motif. Which came first - the Aztecs or the 'shrooms?
Our fear of DRUGS is outdated. The benefits for veterans ptsd look very good also.

Our fear of DRUGS is outdated. The benefits for veterans ptsd look very good also.

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that shrooms could do anything for sufferers of PTSD except give them a really bad trip. Maybe it's just in microdose levels?

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that shrooms could do anything for sufferers of PTSD except give them a really bad trip. Maybe it's just in microdose levels?
The things I've seen make it a 'guided' trip with pretty intense therapy afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom