• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MaggieD says hi --

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Well, I've been on the forum for a few days -- and find it sooo interesting. Thought I ought to introduce myself, as the Forum topic suggests. Especially since I've taken more than just a little flack for the first thread I posted on the site. :)

I'm from suburban Chicago. I live with my significant other, Tom. He's a taxi driver. We met at a singles' dance 10 years ago. He's divorced (7 years before we met). I'm widowed (5 years before we met).

I'm a Realtor by profession right now. My background is pretty much entrepreneur-centered. Started a business and ran it for 20-some years. Starved the first 8 -- then made some money. I've been a coordinator of volunteers for a nonprofit, a trustee in a small town in Wisconsin (ran for election and won twice....the ran for election part was AWFUL!!).

I've volunteered in a number of areas -- the one I'm probably most proud of was as a counselor on a suicide hotline. A few success stories there, including getting a young girl professional help who was being abused by her uncle.

When I signed up, I put 'undisclosed' for my political leanings. By now, anyone who's read my posts knows I'm conservative. I try to see grays, but sometimes it's hard. Still, I've learned a few things even in the short time I've been here. So I guess that means I'm not incorrigible.

Tom and I have a German Shepherd named Josh -- he's my avatar. We adopted him when he was six years old from a woman who had 28 show dogs in three beautiful garages on her "estate" (I guess I'd call it that.). He'd lived in a 4 x 25 foot kennel his whole life. The photo in my Avatar shows him in a dog show where he won Best of Breed. She actually "gave him to us" because she said she wanted him to experience living with a family before he died. (Sad.) He's king here, that's for sure. Ten years old now...wish he wasn't.

Two semi-ferral cats call our house home...sometimes. We live in a bedroom community about 15 miles outside Chicago. Feed the racoons, much to our neighbors' chagrin. And stray cats. We trap the cats and neuter/release through an organization called PAWS in the City of Chicago. They charge $19 to neuter/give rabies/distemper/test for feline leukemia. All supported by donations. It's a great program, and one we feel privileged to be able to use. (They clip the cats' ears so that others know they've been neutered. Strays are a real problem in suburban Chicago....or, at least, in our neighborhood.)

I've made two posts on DebatePolitics.com. The first was a poll that failed because I set it up wrong. I'll get the hang of it eventually. And a thread that asked something like, "Should people who pay taxes be allowed to vote?"

Well!! I really got to know a number of great users through that post. I'm even honored to have the thread mentioned in the Basement....although that wasn't a particularly good thing. Ha! Anyhow, anyone who carefully read the thread, who bothers?, knows that I posted it as devil's advocate. I may be conservative, but I'm not nutz. ;-)

Well, glad to see this thread. I must say I've been on a few forums -- really began on MSN's QnA Live -- which was shut down about a year ago. But this one just "sings." I'm glad I found it -- and look forward to meeting ya'll on the boards.

Hello, and welcome aboard. I didn't beat you here by long, and I had the same reaction. It's a good board.

Josh is beautiful, I hope he enjoys many more years. I live in the city so I can only have a cat and I still miss my dogs something fierce. Give Josh a hug for me.

Thanks, BDBoop!! I will!! He can use allll the hugs he can get.

Okay. Two a day from me. :D

Here's my girls, I last saw them on August 8, 2008 when my husband dropped me on my sister's doorstep. I mourned for the better part of six months - over them. Not him. ;)

bellenorli.jpg

Thanks, BDBoop!! I will!! He can use allll the hugs he can get.

Hahahaha!!!! They're gorgeous!!! (I didn't realize this would post in the normal threads....I was surprised!)

Welcome to Debate Politics! :kitty:

Hi, Korimyr!! Thank you for the welcome!

Just a note on moderating on this site. I think it's just plain excellent. Yesterday a particularly, shall we call it 'interesting'? photo was posted up. It was gone in a New York Minute. And I've seen the Moderator's Warning on a number of posts. Well deserved and a light hand. Ya'll do an excellent job.

Hi, Spud and thank you!! I think I've been baptized already. ;-)

Okay. Two a day from me. :D

Here's my girls, I last saw them on August 8, 2008 when my husband dropped me on my sister's doorstep. I mourned for the better part of six months - over them. Not him. ;)

bellenorli.jpg

HEY!!! You have my dogs black and white head on the wrong body! I swear she is identical to my dog who happens to be named JOSH.
What kind of a dog is she? I have no idea what Josh is. I'm sorry you haven't seen them for so long.
Welcome to the board Maggie. Your Josh is handsome.

Thanks, Barb. Isn't that something about your dogs and Boop's? Smalllll world. And your dog's name is Josh. How absolutely fascinating!!

She's an English Pointer. We'd never seen a dog like her, then we moved to the country and some guy went jogging past with TWO of her! My daughter ran to the end of the driveway and asked the breed, and that's what he said.

Right now I'm wanting to adopt this guy, but my apartment doesn't allow dogs. :(

HEY!!! You have my dogs black and white head on the wrong body! I swear she is identical to my dog who happens to be named JOSH.
What kind of a dog is she? I have no idea what Josh is. I'm sorry you haven't seen them for so long.
Welcome to the board Maggie. Your Josh is handsome.

She's an English Pointer. We'd never seen a dog like her, then we moved to the country and some guy went jogging past with TWO of her! My daughter ran to the end of the driveway and asked the breed, and that's what he said.

Right now I'm wanting to adopt this guy, but my apartment doesn't allow dogs. :(

His head looks alot like Josh's too. Maybe he is pointer mix but he doesn't have the build or speckled body. He's just black with white chest, legs, and end of tail. He does have some speckles through the white. We always figured him to have some lab in him. Doesn't matter though because to me he's a purebred GSB (Good Sweet Boy). I was just surprised to see Josh looking back at me when I saw your dog.
I hope you are able to adopt soon. I'd be lost without at least one dog. I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 birds.

I hear ya. That's a big part of why I was so devastated. I picked Belle out at the pound when she was four months old, she was eight (years) when I left home and Orli was five. We were a pack - Tim would leave for work and I'd go to bed with the girls. If I was lying on the love seat watching a movie, she'd go butt-to-butt with me (I know, it sounds funny) and sleep with her head on my ankle.

I just miss 'em. Someday I'll have fur babies again.

@ Independent Thinker -- Ha! I think I understand! Thanks!!

I hear ya. That's a big part of why I was so devastated. I picked Belle out at the pound when she was four months old, she was eight (years) when I left home and Orli was five. We were a pack - Tim would leave for work and I'd go to bed with the girls. If I was lying on the love seat watching a movie, she'd go butt-to-butt with me (I know, it sounds funny) and sleep with her head on my ankle.

I just miss 'em. Someday I'll have fur babies again.
No, it just sounds normal. Who doesn't want to share a loveseat with a dog? I'm sure you'll be able to do that again someday and some dog will be lucky to have a snuggly place to sleep.
My dogs and cats are all from rescues or pounds. My birds are from a friend who didn't have time for them anymore, but she still visits and talks to them on the phone.:lol:

@ All -- I posted this thread 10 PM Central Time last night and want to pop it to the top to introduce myself. Great site!!

Back
Top Bottom