• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Maggie, mother of four, dies - Chicago

Excon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
RIP Maggie.

orangutan.jpg

Saturday, May 21, 2016 04:10PM
BROOKFIELD, Ill. --

A 54-year-old orangutan named Maggie who was the second-oldest known female of her species has died at Chicago's Brookfield Zoo following weeks of declining health.

Zoo officials announced Saturday that "staff made the difficult decision" to euthanize Maggie on Friday because her age-related ailments had "severely impacted" her quality of life.

A zoo statement said she was beloved and regarded as "curious, intelligent, and playful" by the zoo's primate staff.

She was the world's second oldest-known female Bornean orangutan. Zoo spokeswoman Sondra Katzen says the oldest was born in 1955 and lives at Tokyo's Tama Zoo.

Maggie, a mother of four, was born in 1961 at the San Diego Zoo. She arrived in 1995 at the Brookfield Zoo, where she served a crucial surrogate mother role to two orangutan infants.

Maggie, 2nd-oldest known female orangutan, dies at Brookfield Zoo

RIP Maggie.

orangutan.jpg

BROOKFIELD, Ill. --

A 54-year-old orangutan named Maggie who was the second-oldest known female of her species has died at Chicago's Brookfield Zoo following weeks of declining health.

Zoo officials announced Saturday that "staff made the difficult decision" to euthanize Maggie on Friday because her age-related ailments had "severely impacted" her quality of life.

A zoo statement said she was beloved and regarded as "curious, intelligent, and playful" by the zoo's primate staff.

She was the world's second oldest-known female Bornean orangutan. Zoo spokeswoman Sondra Katzen says the oldest was born in 1955 and lives at Tokyo's Tama Zoo.

Maggie, a mother of four, was born in 1961 at the San Diego Zoo. She arrived in 1995 at the Brookfield Zoo, where she served a crucial surrogate mother role to two orangutan infants.

Crazy as it sounds, in that picture she even looks kinda' matriarchal of sorts!

a life well lived. R.I.P.
Maggie the Orangutan.jpg

Damn, I read the title of the OP and I thought immediately of DPs Maggie and was very sad. Hope she's hanging in their and getting better - bless her and her family.

RIP Chicago's other Maggie.

Damn, I read the title of the OP and I thought immediately of DPs Maggie and was very sad. Hope she's hanging in their and getting better - bless her and her family.

Yes, yes. I read the thread-head the way you did.

This was my reaction as well

A worthy story, but maybe we clarify which Maggie it is in the title?

Yes, yes. I read the thread-head the way you did.

This was my reaction as well
Hmmmm?

I see that MaggieD checks in from time to time.

Maybe this can be an inspiration for some to let her know by PM, or just a visitors message, that she is still in their thoughts?
MaggieD

, but maybe we clarify which Maggie it is in the title?
Why?
Clearly MaggieD is not the same a Maggie.

Last edited:

Hmmmm?

I see that MaggieD checks in from time to time.

Maybe this can be an inspiration for some to let her know by PM, or just a visitors message, that she is still in their thoughts?
MaggieD

Why?
Clearly MaggieD is not the same a Maggie.

Excellent idea, and I did just that - thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking the exact same thing CJ and was so relieved to find out it was an orangutan that I now feel guilty that I was happy instead of sad for the orangutan. :(

I was thinking the exact same thing CJ and was so relieved to find out it was an orangutan that I now feel guilty that I was happy instead of sad for the orangutan. :(

I am sorry this evoked such emotion in you.

Like I said earlier.

MaggieD

RIP Maggie.

orangutan.jpg

BROOKFIELD, Ill. --

Orangutans are such amazing beings. So close to us. I love to watch them. I hope Maggie had a good life. She certainly had a long one.

RIP Maggie.

orangutan.jpg

BROOKFIELD, Ill. --

Awwwww. RIP. She looks tired in the photo.

A worthy story, but maybe we clarify which Maggie it is in the title?

I think MaggieD lives in the Chicago area, but she has mentioned not having children a few times. I knew the thread wasn't about her, because she definitely doesn't have four children. I hope MaggieD is doing good. I actually do think of her sometimes.

Damn John, I thought the exact same thing. My heart actually stopped beating for a second and the blood rushed out of my head.

Damn John, I thought the exact same thing. My heart actually stopped beating for a second and the blood rushed out of my head.

I guess this applies to you as well.

I am sorry this evoked such emotion in you.

Like I said earlier.

MaggieD

Back
Top Bottom