• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MAGA Made in China

What they did is fraud, and I'm not trying to dismiss it. I'm simply pointing that what puts "Americans first" is producing things as cheap as possible. These idiotic country of origin labels are for people who are too dumb to understand that outsourcing makes Americans richer. Look at you own life. Do you make your own clothes or do you outsource that job? Do you grown your own food, or do you outsource that job? If you kept those jobs inside your household, you would be poorer and worse off.

But you guys keep worrying about where things are made.
You do know that the great divergence and shipping American jobs overseas started concurrently, right?

I saw a faux watcher wearing some anti-Biden shirt at the gas station yesterday. I wonder if that was made in China, too.

So, you are OK with hurting this nation in the long term for short term prices...

The purpose of that is to return manufacturing jobs here. Employ more people here.

Do you like the fact that family wage union manufacturing jobs have moved to China and elsewhere, so you can save a few dollars a month?
American Corporations moved jobs to China for greed not caring about American workers or America. The reason they gave when doing that was labor costs were too high in America. After they moved jobs to China with slave labor rates the salaries of CEO'S and Executives went up which has led to inequality. American Corporations have made China the power house they are today because of corporate greed.

So, you are OK with hurting this nation in the long term for short term prices...

The purpose of that is to return manufacturing jobs here. Employ more people here.

Do you like the fact that family wage union manufacturing jobs have moved to China and elsewhere, so you can save a few dollars a month?
Trump tariffs also on wood from Canada also led to the high costs of wood products and homes that caused home prices to soar.

So why do the democrats cry about the increased Tariffs Trump initiated?
Dont you know how stupid it is to put tariffs on raw materials? Steel, aluminum, why would you want John Deere to have to pay more for those commodities than Kubota? Theres a big aluminum smelter in Kitimat, BC that sells aluminum to Chinese companies and American companies at the same price and that stable genius made it cost American companies 10% more.
A better question is, why dont Trumpists cry about it? Do you all approve of that kind of stupidity at the highest level?

American Corporations moved jobs to China for greed not caring about American workers or America.
That's one way to spin it. If one company does it, the they can undercut the completion and then the competition must do the same, or go out of business.
The reason they gave when doing that was labor costs were too high in America. After they moved jobs to China with slave labor rates the salaries of CEO'S and Executives went up which has led to inequality. American Corporations have made China the power house they are today because of corporate greed.
And if the tax code had higher tariffs on imports didn't make that profitable, it would have never happened. But Clinton's global free trade initiatives took that away.

I blame our current state of the loss of family wage jobs on president Clinton for all the global free trade deals.

That's one way to spin it. If one company does it, the they can undercut the completion and then the competition must do the same, or go out of business.

And if the tax code had higher tariffs on imports didn't make that profitable, it would have never happened. But Clinton's global free trade initiatives took that away.

I blame our current state of the loss of family wage jobs on president Clinton for all the global free trade deals.
All those corporations made the choice to do it for greed.
Presidents after Clinton could have changed it but they didn't.

Trump tariffs also on wood from Canada also led to the high costs of wood products and homes that caused home prices to soar.
Now that was one I disagreed with. One of the things he did that I think is wrong. I was all for the initial NAFTA, primarily to help Mexico. We can stand the strain of one country that can make cheap products. I though it would be great to employ the Mexican people, so they wouldn't need to come here. Canada and Mexico are our immediate neighbors. Global free trade hurt Mexico too, as corporations moved to China, Indonesia, etc. instead of Mexico.

Oddly enough, Clinton was far more conservative than the most recent Republican president.

Dont you know how stupid it is to put tariffs on raw materials? Steel, aluminum, why would you want John Deere to have to pay more for those commodities than Kubota? Theres a big aluminum smelter in Kitimat, BC that sells aluminum to Chinese companies and American companies at the same price and that stable genius made it cost American companies 10% more.
A better question is, why dont Trumpists cry about it? Do you all approve of that kind of stupidity at the highest level?
Tariffs are designed to apply differently on different products. I want to see tariffs on products that we can make, that makes the import slightly higher in price than USA products. I don't want to see tariffs on resources that we don't have.

There have been several free trade agreements. I am against the global free trade. Not NAFTA.

All those corporations made the choice to do it for greed.
Presidents after Clinton could have changed it but they didn't.
They roast anyone who tries to. Just look at the backlash when Trump did it.

Yeah, the George W. years were so great!

Tariffs are designed to apply differently on different products. I want to see tariffs on products that we can make, that makes the import slightly higher in price than USA products. I don't want to see tariffs on resources that we don't have.

There have been several free trade agreements. I am against the global free trade. Not NAFTA.
Then maybe the Chinese government subsidizes their products making them cheaper than Americans came make them.

Then maybe the Chinese government subsidizes their products making them cheaper than Americans came make them.
It doesn't matter if they do that. Tariffs need to be in place to keep us competitive. I should not be able to buy a TV made in China, cheaper than a similar one made here. In fact, I will go on to say all imports should be more expensive than a competing product made in the USA, unless it is a product we cannot make here.

It doesn't matter if they do that. Tariffs need to be in place to keep us competitive. I should not be able to buy a TV made in China, cheaper than a similar one made here. In fact, I will go on to say all imports should be more expensive than a competing product made in the USA, unless it is a product we cannot make here.
It does matter because if a American company can not make a product cheaper than a China product they can not stay in business.

It does matter because if a American company can not make a product cheaper than a China product they can not stay in business.
They could if we tariff products high enough.

If the budget was balance, please explain why the debt increased.
Are you saying the budget wasn't balanced or that you're incapable of looking up the answer to your question? I'm so sick of doing research for the lazy and facts have no impact on the right anyway.

I remember when anything an American could want or need was Made in America. Top quality stuff, too. Made in Japan was a euphemism for cheap junk. Thats when unionisation was highest. Gradually American manufacturing moved to southern nonunion states, then to maquiladora zones in Mexico, then to Sri Lanka and Thailand and China and now its all cheap junk.
America certainly has not benefited by greedy corporations low-balling labour costs with Asian sweatshops and child labour.

This is exactly the same kind of crap Donald Trump believes. I'll take these claims one at a time:
I remember when anything an American could want or need was Made in America.

That has literally never been the case, going all the way back to colonial times.

Top quality stuff, too.
Does that include cars like the Chevy Vega and Ford Pinto?

Both were built by proud American union labor.
Made in Japan was a euphemism for cheap junk.

50 years ago Nikon made some of the best cameras in the world. Sony made the best tape recorders in the world. Sharp made some of the best microwaves in the world, and Panasonic made the best transistor radios in the world.

They are all Japanese companies.

Thats when unionisation was highest. Gradually American manufacturing moved to southern nonunion states, then to maquiladora zones in Mexico, then to Sri Lanka and Thailand

During this time the standard of living for Americans increased sharply. Standard of living is what matters, not where things are made.

and China and now its all cheap junk.

This is so false that I'm surprised your computer didn't explode when you wrote it. I'm in the construction industry, so I will give a few examples from there. I am heavily invested in Milwaukee cordless tools. Anyone will confirm that they are excellent tools, and they are all made in China. Or consider this flooring that you can buy from the Home Depot. That shit is absolutely amazing. It is manufactured to tolerances that are so tight I didn't think it was even possible. It's all made in China.

I also happen to be in the market for an electric motorcycle. I almost bought this one:

That bike is made in China. Check out the reviews.

America certainly has not benefited by greedy corporations low-balling labour costs with Asian sweatshops and child labour.

Yes it has. Our standard of living has never been higher. Lowering labor costs is a net benefit to society, and even better is to eliminate the job entirely via automation or robotics.

Then will Americans be able to afford them?
If we kept tariffs up back then, it wouldn't have ben a problem. Now it will be very difficult to dig ourselves out of the downward spiral we are in. Prices will increase, but so will family wage jobs. Unless we change our ways, this nation is doomed. We will slip to a point we wont be able to recover from.

Back
Top Bottom