• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MAGA Made in China

That's one way to spin it. If one company does it, the they can undercut the completion and then the competition must do the same, or go out of business.

And if the tax code had higher tariffs on imports didn't make that profitable, it would have never happened. But Clinton's global free trade initiatives took that away.

I blame our current state of the loss of family wage jobs on president Clinton for all the global free trade deals.
You can certainly blame Clinton if you want, but go back and see who in the House and Senate sponsored those deals, and voted for them. Remember that after Clinton's 2nd year, the House and Senate were controlled by Republicans. We can also recall Nixon's famous trip to China that started this ball rolling, or Reagan's promotion of 'free trade' and the effective end of anti-trust efforts in this country.

Bottom line is 'free trade' has been a major effort by both Republicans and Democrats for a very long time.

I never got one.

Link please.

Tax rebate[edit]​

In addition to the tax cuts implemented by the EGTRRA, it initiated a series of rebates for all taxpayers that filed a tax return for 2000. The rebate was up to a maximum of $300 for single filers with no dependents, $500 for single parents, and $600 for married couples. Anybody who paid less than their maximum rebate amount in net taxes received that amount, meaning some people who did not pay any taxes did not receive rebates. The rebates were automatic for anybody who filed their 2000 tax return on time, or filed for an extension and quickly sent a return. If an eligible person did not receive a rebate check by December 2001, then they could apply for the rebate in their 2001 tax return.[7]

Nope. The generations after the Baby Boomers have a lower standard of living than the Boomers. Look it up. I gave you a link.

Your dumbass link is about millennials and their income and debt.

Americans today overall have a higher standard of living than at any time in the past. Your problem is you don't understand what standard of living means.

You can certainly blame Clinton if you want, but go back and see who in the House and Senate sponsored those deals, and voted for them. Remember that after Clinton's 2nd year, the House and Senate were controlled by Republicans. We can also recall Nixon's famous trip to China that started this ball rolling, or Reagan's promotion of 'free trade' and the effective end of anti-trust efforts in this country.

Bottom line is 'free trade' has been a major effort by both Republicans and Democrats for a very long time.
Oh, I know. It was republican, so if you want to give him credit for a imaginary surplus, then you have to do the same for the republican congress.

I'm willing to blame them. Are you willing to give them props?

You mean like Toyotas and Hondas?

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?
Toyotas and Hondas represent the Japanese car companies claiming their territory. They took ownership of the bottom of the heap. And they built enormous production capability selling cheap crap in the third world.
You welcome this shit? You approve of it ?
The claim you made was, "Made in Japan was a euphemism for cheap junk." That claim is false. Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic did not produce "junk" back then.
**** sakes. Nikon was trying to equal Kodak. Sony and Panasonic dominated a technology that fizzled after 20 or 30 years. Big frigging deal.
My point is that back then American made was the standard of quality. What point are you making? Made in America was always second rate? Is that your point?
Spoken like a Trump University Valedictorian.
Bullshit
What matters is the overall standard of living, and it is higher today than it has ever been.
Like hell it is. Standard of living means access to a quality life, not availability of cheap crap. You might think that you being able to consume cheap shit and dispose of it means your life has a high standard but thats just crap thinking. A clothes washer used to last forever. Yeah, you paid for it but only once. My parents had the same Ford station wagon since I was eight years old until their last kid left home 22 years later. Try that with a Toyota or Honda.

One idiot says Clinton didn't balance the budget. Another says we now have the highest standard of living despite every economic indicator saying the standard of living has gone down. Yet a third genius says Japanese cars are trash despite them consistently whipping American cars in Consumer Reports, resale value, and reliability studies.

Okay, you guys win. I can't argue with stupid.

And it was then an item on your tax return. Right?
The sheer irony of a trump fan asking about someone's tax return. How delicious.

Back then, it probably didn't matter. Nowadays, I wouldn't be eligible to get one.

Toyotas and Hondas represent the Japanese car companies claiming their territory. They took ownership of the bottom of the heap. And they built enormous production capability selling cheap crap in the third world.
You welcome this shit? You approve of it ?

Of course.

**** sakes. Nikon was trying to equal Kodak. Sony and Panasonic dominated a technology that fizzled after 20 or 30 years. Big frigging deal.
My point is that back then American made was the standard of quality. What point are you making? Made in America was always second rate? Is that your point?

My point is that where things are made doesn't matter in the least.

Trump is an economic illiterate, who believes (like you) that the economy is a jobs program. He would wholeheartedly agree with every single thing you have written.

Like hell it is. Standard of living means access to a quality life, not availability of cheap crap. You might think that you being able to consume cheap shit and dispose of it means your life has a high standard but thats just crap thinking.

It is absolutely bizarre how many people believe higher prices are better.

A clothes washer used to last forever. Yeah, you paid for it but only once. My parents had the same Ford station wagon since I was eight years old until their last kid left home 22 years later. Try that with a Toyota or Honda.

You don't necessarily want things to last forever. One reason is because you miss out on technological advances. Another reason is increased durability means increased price.

Greedy companies have an extremely strong financial incentive to give people what they want, not to give them what you think they should have.

Another says we now have the highest standard of living despite every economic indicator saying the standard of living has gone down.

You're only looking at income, and income isn't standard of living. In the end it comes down to how much can the average man at an average salary consume, and his consumption has never been higher than it is today.

Oh, I know. It was republican, so if you want to give him credit for a imaginary surplus, then you have to do the same for the republican congress.

I'm willing to blame them. Are you willing to give them props?
The point is you predictably made this a partisan issue and that's just bullcrap, blaming decades of "free trade" efforts by both parties on the Democrat. And then you move the goal post - BUTWHATABOUT???!!!

And sure, I'll give credit to the GOP congress for reining in Clinton's spending, and then blame them for the Reagan deficits and the Bush II deficits following massive tax cuts and then spending increases by GOP congresses signed by a GOP president. "You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don't matter. We won [the midterms. More tax cuts] are our due." Who said that?

The sheer irony of a trump fan asking about someone's tax return. How delicious.

Back then, it probably didn't matter. Nowadays, I wouldn't be eligible to get one.
Wow.

Spin much?

I was referring to the line item on everyone version of the 1040 tax return form.

1659928693842.png

Some people who recieved a check, had to pay part or all of it back.

Of course.

My point is that where things are made doesn't matter in the least.

Trump is an economic illiterate, who believes (like you) that the economy is a jobs program. He would wholeheartedly agree with every single thing you have written.

It is absolutely bizarre how many people believe higher prices are better.

You don't necessarily want things to last forever. One reason is because you miss out on technological advances. Another reason is increased durability means increased price.

Greedy companies have an extremely strong financial incentive to give people what they want, not to give them what you think they should have.
Jesus. What an attitude. Consume cheap junk, dispose of it and buy more cheap junk. Theres a philosophy for you. And all that cheap junk consumption equals a high standard of living.
How did you come to accept such a pisspoor idea of a quality life? Does being able to dispose of cheap junk frequently equal wealth to you?
America was better when most of your consumer products were made at home. Thats a fact. Your parents and grandparents might not have been able to dispose of crap and buy more as easily as you but they lived in a better society.

Jesus. What an attitude. Consume cheap junk, dispose of it and buy more cheap junk. Theres a philosophy for you. And all that cheap junk consumption equals a high standard of living.
How did you come to accept such a pisspoor idea of a quality life?

The quality of life for the average person living in America is higher now than at any point in human history. You are simply taking all of the luxuries provided to you by capitalism for granted.

Does being able to dispose of cheap junk frequently equal wealth to you?
America was better when most of your consumer products were made at home. Thats a fact.

No, it's not a fact, it's an assertion, and one which happens to be false. Your problem is that you believe (like Trump) that the economy is a jobs program.

Your parents and grandparents might not have been able to dispose of crap and buy more as easily as you but they lived in a better society.

I don't know what you mean by "better society", but my parents were poorer than me, and my grandparents were way way way poorer than me.

That's nice. But...you see the irony..that a Trumpster pretends to care about someone else's tax return?

Keep trying to fake ignorance.
You are assuming things I didn't say. My point is that the money was counted in the tax return for 2021. The check was nothing but returning part of the return early. If you got the $300 for example, it was simply $300 less for your tax return. The end result was zero.

I don't know what you mean by "better society", but my parents were poorer than me, and my grandparents were way way way poorer than me.
And you would be a Baby Boomer?

No, I'm a gen x, my parents were boomers.
Boomers have a higher standard of living than Gen X. Your particular case is an exception, not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom