• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MAGA Hats? Do they have a negative/hateful stigma?

• Total voters
Sorry all you proud Donny Deplorables, donning your MAGA hats lets me know that I am most likely viewing a willfully mentally self lobotomized follower of Trump.

Most likely your notion of MAGA, aka making America great again, involves returning America to a longed for era of white privilege back before the Civil War, or at the least before the Civil Rights era.

Back to a time when "Operation Wetback" raised no eyebrows.

Back to an era when separate was not equal, but who cared, certainly not white people.

You get the picture, if not then you are wearing your MAGA hat way too tight.

I predict 60 days

Granted, the Progressive-Left would like people to consider it equivalent to a swastika armband or a white hood simply because some people who are racist's might choose to wear it.

They would? i havent seen that from them, just the everyday normal progress left feel its equal to a swastika arm band or white hood huh? interesting......

Id call those people nutters and say they have nothing to do with the progressive left people i know and see LMAO

They would? i havent seen that from them, just the everyday normal progress left feel its equal to a swastika arm band or white hood huh? interesting......

Id call those people nutters and say they have nothing to do with the progressive left people i know and see LMAO

Really?

Seems that way to me. :shrug:

It's a symbol for a highly polarizing political campaign/president. It's likely to be a strong negative symbol to the opposition.

I saw an older white guy sporting one a few days ago in public, returning to his vehicle. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, and he watched my eyes/face for the entire time he approached in passing me by. I assume, based on social queues and some years on this earth, he was looking to see if I reacted to it, or remarked to my wife as we walked by, or made a face, etc. I got the impression he was out trolling with it.

interesting . . that too could be a stigma . . . if people think others wear it mostly to get a negative reaction or instigate anger. not saying YOU just saying if that was a general feeling from a lot of people

That is largely going to depend on location. MAGA hats and shirts are quite common in Mississippi even in Jackson where the majority of people are African American.

you bolded a lot what part is based off location?

if you just mean me seeing one, i agree 100% it would depend on location . . . ive never seen any where i typical am, greater general pittsburgh area, manassas VA, pan handle of WV, greater general Cincinnati and Chicago area but id guess they would be not as rare other places.

30% of Americans strongly support trump. That means most don't. I've got to think that's at least 50% really hate him. So when you go out with a MAGA hat on you're offending 50% of the people you see.

Why do it? I wouldn't walk around a rural town in Alabama wearing an Obama tee-shirt. It would have the same negative effect.

You can wear your Obama shirt around rural Alabama without these types of people harassing you:

Notice the GROWN MAN assaulting a kid-

Fat, white liberal scum harassing a black man for his MAGA hat

And this incident from only a week ago: an aspiring rapper, and gud boi named Cash Bentley accosting two white teens with verbal harassment and racism.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=S3AN_1547989573&theme_id=0

Incidents like these point to why people are wearing the hat in the first place.

1.) Really?
2.) Seems that way to me. :shrug:

1.) Yes really LMAO
2.) yes i get thats your feelings opinion but seems that way based on what logical facts.

what do you think you posted that makes it fact or rational to lump all the "progressive left" together. DO you have anything factual or logical that makes your generalization true?

MAGA hats are currently a topic of conversation and I'd like to know what everybody feels about them.
Based on their origin, affiliation, association, usage and representation; meaning based on the people who you have seen wearing them and the things those people do and say are they anything more than a hat?

Yes a small negative/hateful stigma
Yes an average negative/hateful stigma ie rebel flag
Yes a serious negative/hateful stigma ie white power cross
No they have zero stigma

No, they have zero stigma.

However, there are those Trump haters who don't mind making **** up about a hat to justify their hatred. Next thing...MAGA socks.

maga hat triggers.jpg

Stigma?

I'll soon find out - I ordered TWO just because those teens were harassed and many folks here were gleeful because of it. I'm not sure I have the courage to wear it in the bay area BUT I'm sure I'll find it worthwhile in certain contexts.

Stigma?

I'll soon find out - I ordered TWO just because those teens were harassed and many folks here were gleeful because of it. I'm not sure I have the courage to wear it in the bay area BUT I'm sure I'll find it worthwhile in certain contexts.

That would me, yes you believe it has a stigma ;)
only you know how big or little though

30% of Americans strongly support trump. That means most don't. I've got to think that's at least 50% really hate him. So when you go out with a MAGA hat on you're offending 50% of the people you see.

Why do it? I wouldn't walk around a rural town in Alabama wearing an Obama tee-shirt. It would have the same negative effect.

Is our society that tribal where people should be attacked for their clothing and headgear? Is our country like a gang where wearing the wrong color can get you killed?

MAGA hats are currently a topic of conversation and I'd like to know what everybody feels about them.
Based on their origin, affiliation, association, usage and representation; meaning based on the people who you have seen wearing them and the things those people do and say are they anything more than a hat?

Yes a small negative/hateful stigma
Yes an average negative/hateful stigma ie rebel flag
Yes a serious negative/hateful stigma ie white power cross
No they have zero stigma

Black skin, white skin, and red hats are just a few of the different things that spark anger in the hearts of various fools.

ok now that the poll worked......lol

as I said in another thread I think its impossible to deny that there is a negative stigma with a MAGA hat

This is just based off my experience but ive never seen anybody wear one in real life. Even when i asked people I know that are trump fans about them they said they would never wear them cause they are not nutters lol. Well one said extremist and one said nutters. AGain thats just their opinion but those were Trump supporters. If even they feel that way there has to be something to it?

For me its based off of associations and the types of people ive seen wearing it and what they say and what they do.

now with that said
Would it make me hate that person or make me "angry"? nope
Would it convince me thats a bad person? nope
Would it convince me that person is a racist? nope

of course i would never make a concrete conclusive judgement based off of a MAGA hat but what it would do, is it would certainly catch my attention(especially cause i never seen one and thats IF i noticed)
it would catch my attention and intrigue my curiosity and give me possible suspicion.

thats about it

oh yeah and thats based off of the idea of seeing it in a normal location.

so for me it just has a small or average negative/hateful stigma to it, nothing to get fired up over just curious about and aware

Pretty much agree here. I think that most people that wear it only do so for rally's and such. Those that wear it outside of rallies are probably two types of people. Those that are just trolling and looking for reactions and those that just simply agree with the sentiment of it and want to show support for their President.

As for your poll question, yes, there is a stigma to it. Based largely around political ideology more than anything else. Not out of any actual facts.

None of the above. They reflect the IQ of the wearer in the low 80s and propaganda susceptibility .
\/

really_ I have a MAGA hat-don't wear it much since it triggers low grade TDS types but I am sure my IQ is well above 80-

Pretty much agree here. I think that most people that wear it only do so for rally's and such. Those that wear it outside of rallies are probably two types of people. Those that are just trolling and looking for reactions and those that just simply agree with the sentiment of it and want to show support for their President.

As for your poll question, yes, there is a stigma to it. Based largely around political ideology more than anything else. Not out of any actual facts.

That maybe be true for some and its actually a very interesting thing to think about but other hats and shirts etc with similar origins dont seem to equate at all to the stigma the MAGA hat does. So i cant help to think it has to be based on SOME facts or at least exaggeration based on facts.

I mean for example again the trump people i talked too said similar things paraphrasing they asked me have you seen how many loons where that hat, the things they do , they things they say? no thanks

now of course thats a VERY VERY small sample but if trump supports feel that way it has to be based on more than just political ideology and it has to involve fact. I would NEVER say political ideology is not a factor . . of course it is but i dont think its the main one.

I mean for me its certainly not based on political ideology, im with the trump supporters i talked too.

if someone is OFFENDED by that-they are pretty much snowflakes. I don't get offended seeing Hillary or Obama stickers on cars. IN fact I saw a car that I thought was illegally parked in a handicap zone and was going to report it to the police and then I saw the Mental handicap sticker-Obama 2012 so I didn't drop a dime :mrgreen:

They only have a negative stigma to rabid anti-Trump people.

We have to remember Twitter itself is a stream of thought. I kind of compare it to a freeway but instead of cars, you have opinions and thoughts going 60-80% mph.

The same reason who so many people drive with road rage is similar to why you see so many reckless comments on twitter like this:

“Name these kids,” Kathy Griffin wrote on Twitter. “I want NAMES. Shame them. If you think these f—– wouldn’t dox you in a heartbeat, think again.”

AND:

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) on Tuesday night responded to a tweet from President Trump in which he defended 11th-grader Nick Sandmann and other students from Kentucky’s Covington Catholic High School.

Omar wrote, “-The boys were protesting a woman’s right to choose & yelled “it’s not rape if you enjoy it” -They were taunting 5 Black men before they surrounded Phillips and led racist chants -Sandmann’s family hired a right wing PR firm to write his non-apology.”

https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/us-rep-ilhan-omar-deletes-tweets-slamming-maga-teens/

IMO what we are headed towards is more policing on social media. Libel laws need to be beefed up. Just like how drivers can get infractions for running red lights or speeding, we need something similar to that on the internet.

That maybe be true for some and its actually a very interesting thing to think about but other hats and shirts etc with similar origins dont seem to equate at all to the stigma the MAGA hat does. So i cant help to think it has to be based on SOME facts or at least exaggeration based on facts.

I mean for example again the trump people i talked too said similar things paraphrasing they asked me have you seen how many loons where that hat, the things they do , they things they say? no thanks

now of course thats a VERY VERY small sample but if trump supports feel that way it has to be based on more than just political ideology and it has to involve fact. I would NEVER say political ideology is not a factor . . of course it is but i dont think its the main one.

I mean for me its certainly not based on political ideology, im with the trump supporters i talked too.

When I was in New York 3 months ago I wore my New England Patriots hat and people called me a cheater, supporter of murder, and a lot of threats were made of me.

This was because of a hat I wore with a logo of a sports franchise in Boston.

The people who mostly wear these MAGA hats are Republicans.. not Democrats. You do know that, right?

Yes.

I am fully aware of the primary Political Party persuasion of MAGA hat wearers.

Odd that you should ask that?

MAGA hats help us identify the 1/3 0f the American populace who support ***** grabbers and a POTUS who is owned by a former KGB agent.

MAGA hats help us identify the 1/3 0f the American populace who support ***** grabbers and a POTUS who is owned by a former KGB agent.

they also help show us people who are suffering from end stage Trump Derangement Syndrome

they also help show us people who are suffering from end stage Trump Derangement Syndrome

You're probably correct about the 'end stage' observation. :lol: exit stage left for Swampy.

Back
Top Bottom