• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Made A Meatloaf Last Night and.....

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I finally tried putting powdered ranch dressing in to a meatloaf after seeing years of commercials to do it for burgers. It works! First I saw many varieties of the Ranch powders so I tried one with a Mexican flair to it. Threw in an egg and some Italian bread crumbs, some Cajun seasoning, thyme, Durkees Six Pepper Blend and paprika, salt and pepper and a little curry style ketchup. What came out was the best meatloaf I have had in many moons and this off the cuff concoction will make great meatballs.

another odd ingredient that works is grape jelly
not so much that it sweetens the concoction, no more than a spoonful
but adds a subtle flavor and is a moistening agent

I finally tried putting powdered ranch dressing in to a meatloaf after seeing years of commercials to do it for burgers. It works! First I saw many varieties of the Ranch powders so I tried one with a Mexican flair to it. Threw in an egg and some Italian bread crumbs, some Cajun seasoning, thyme, Durkees Six Pepper Blend and paprika, salt and pepper and a little curry style ketchup. What came out was the best meatloaf I have had in many moons and this off the cuff concoction will make great meatballs.

Whenever I make meatloaf, I grate five or six carrots into the mix. Great way to get more veggies. Wonderful moistening properties. I like your idea about Ranch seasoning -- salt rocks.

I am convinced there is nothing you cannot put in meatloaf that you like that won't turn out favorable for you. That said, I have done the ranch thing but I cannot say I really liked it. Ranch is not my favorite flavor profile anyway.

Sounds great. I've been having this insane craving for a good meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy but with it being so dang hot outside I don't like too eat too heavy.

I ran across a meatloaf cupcake recipe, basically a meatloaf but cooked as cupcakes instead of a loaf. Has anyone tried this before and was is good or would you stick to a loaf?

I am convinced there is nothing you cannot put in meatloaf that you like that won't turn out favorable for you. That said, I have done the ranch thing but I cannot say I really liked it. Ranch is not my favorite flavor profile anyway.

Take a look at the variety of dry ranch dressings available you might find one you like.

Sounds great. I've been having this insane craving for a good meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy but with it being so dang hot outside I don't like too eat too heavy.

I ran across a meatloaf cupcake recipe, basically a meatloaf but cooked as cupcakes instead of a loaf. Has anyone tried this before and was is good or would you stick to a loaf?

Why not? It would reduce cooking time and the stupid kids could not argue over who got the biggest slice. You could also put different toppings on the individual parts. I like it!

Whenever I make meatloaf, I grate five or six carrots into the mix. Great way to get more veggies. Wonderful moistening properties. I like your idea about Ranch seasoning -- salt rocks.

Grating carrots can go well with almost anything. I just did that to some spaghetti sauce after I found two in the fridge. It adds a hint of sweet to everything and it's good for ya!

Meatloaf can be changed up a number of ways, the Ranch dressing thing was okay, but the top of my list was adding real bacon bits, about a half cup for 2 pounds of burger.

Standard ingredients are an egg, a cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs, 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, A1 sauce, smoky flavored BBQ sauce, a heaping spoonful of minced garlic, oregano and sage.

I don't salt or pepper any food while cooking, that can be added later as needed.

rhinefire said:
You could also put different toppings on the individual parts. I like it!

I didn't even think of that, great idea. I hate onions so I usually cook without them and everyone else complains but this would solve that issue when making meatloaf.

For me meatloaf is for making sammiches later. My wife makes a big one, freezes half and makes me smeatloaf, as she calls it, sammiches. We use venison, doe is a tad better in this. since it is for cold sammiches the loaf is very firm for easy, thin slicing. I use everything from BBQ sauce, horseradish mayo, or spicy mustard depending on my mood.

Just saw and bought a packet of Wishbone powdered ITALIAN dressing, so tonight we dine ala Italiano meatloafo..........I tell you how it came out.

Just saw and bought a packet of Wishbone powdered ITALIAN dressing, so tonight we dine ala Italiano meatloafo..........I tell you how it came out.

I have never made a meatloaf in my life..

And I don't intend to..:shock:

Speaking as one who literally grew up on the stuff when my folks were young and dirt poor - I wouldn't touch meatloaf with a ten foot pole now. :mrgreen:

Speaking as one who literally grew up on the stuff when my folks were young and dirt poor - I wouldn't touch meatloaf with a ten foot pole now. :mrgreen:
You are not alone but I like it, as long as it's cold. I grew up on it as well.

Sorry..I have never had to eat it,..Thank who-ever- it is!! :tink:

Is it poor peoples stuff??
Not so much poor as middle and lower class. There are a lot of American dishes that way.

Not so much poor as middle and lower class. There are a lot of American dishes that way.

I didn't mean to sound snobby...from what I've gathered it is making the most out of crap...

bless you...:tink:

Back
Top Bottom