• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Macular fold /pucker

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Has anybody has experience with a macular fold? One of my friend has developed one, and needless to say she's concerned. Has anybody had experiennce with this, and how did they treat it?

Never heard of it until now, but I wish your friend the best. Things around the eyes can be scary.

Oracular degeneration happens in old people. The macular can be opened. Failing that, a small hole can be drilled beneath the iris that will perform the same function.

Suffice it to say that my macular degeneration is something on the order of "my formerly pristine retina which boasted a perfectly flawless surface, is now starting to resemble an old shower curtain."

In certain lighting situations, if my iris closes down enough, I can actually see the "curtain fold" effects in the background on parts of my eye's field of view. It's not total and it's not uniform but it's definitely there.

I also have a couple of floaters and weiss disc/ring formations close enough to the fovea centralis that I'm essentially semi-retired against my will as a professional cinematographer.
Oh, I can still shoot, but I cannot any longer trust myself to nail the focus in a professional feature film or commercial spot environment on a 4K camera well enough that I won't blow it on an important shot, and producers and directors send people home quickly after that happens a second time in one day.

I still get the occasional low budget shoot jobs here or there but no more of the really good stuff.
I can still edit, thanks to the fact that not only am I seated comfortably in a properly lit edit bay with 24 and 32 inch HD screens, but the material is already shot and I can go back and forth and compare takes.
You can't do that when the crew is waiting for the camera department to roll on a critical take and you're staring into a 7 inch viewfinder or even an optical or EVF eyepiece system and the director says "action".

The floaters weave in and out of view and the irritating disc flaw makes it look like you're shooting through a small blob of Vaseline just off center. It was a wonderful 35 years but now at age 62 I'm out to pasture for the most part.

I'm going to treat myself to a nice 42 or 55 inch 4K monitor to hang in the center for even more confidence in the edit bay.
Naturally that calls for a reconfiguration of the layout of the room, which will keep me busy doing something I also love.

Back
Top Bottom