• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Macron warns against nationalism in apparent rebuke of Trump at WWI commemoration

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is where it just got real. President Macron just came right out and said what we've been saying since the day that Trump proclaimed himself to be a 'Nationalist'. His base has no idea how telling that was and they refuse to acknowledge that Trump is by no means a patriot. His suporters translated 'nationalism' to 'patriotism' and as we've tried to warn them, it means the exact opposite. I saw this in his address to the United Nations, and so did every other EU ally to the U.S. They saw a man who is intent in dividing the EU, just as Putin wants. This episode in France where he wouldn't go to the remembrance ceremony marking the end of WW1 is exactly what Putin wanted. 116,708 American military personnel died during World War 1 from all causes (influenza, combat and wounds). Over 204,000 were wounded and 757 U.S. civilians died due to military action. Even though our own president doesn't see fit to honor them, the American people do. This man has no allegiance to this country nor does he have an ounce of respect for the memories of those men and women who gave their lives for this country.

Macron warns against nationalism in apparent rebuke of Trump at WWI commemoration
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/macron-warns-against-nationalism-apparent-rebuke-trump-wwi-commemoration-n934906

PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a rebuke of President Donald Trump’s “America first” approach to international affairs at a ceremony on Sunday commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

“Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism,” Macron said. “By saying, ‘Our interests first, who cares about the others,’ we erase what a nation holds dearest, what gives it life, what gives it grace and what is essential: its moral values."

Macron’s remarks, which he delivered just steps from Trump and more than 80 other world leaders, come on the heels of the U.S. president proudly declaring himself a “nationalist.”

“A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly not caring about our country so much, and you know what, we can't have that,” Trump said at a campaign rally in Houston on Oct. 22. “I'm a nationalist. Ok? I'm a nationalist. Nationalist. Use that word.”

After Macron finished his remarks, Trump appeared to grimace while offering muted and delayed applause.

In 5th grade grammar school, my class was given homework. The homework was to memorize a poem. We all learned the words and could repeat them back to the teacher but the meaning of those words wouldn't be completely understood until years later. For anyone who may have given a dollar to a veteran selling a silk poppy outside of Walmarts, I hope you understand what that poppy symbolizes. It's the red Flanders poppy.

Remembrance-Day-In-Flanders-Fields.jpg

It's obvious that President Trump meets the quintessential, dictionary definition of the word, patriot.

Definition of patriot
: one who loves and supports his or her country
… praised him as a … motivated patriot who was fearless in the quest to preserve American security.
— W. R. Hearst, Jr.

More on the Meaning of Patriot
The word patriot signifies a person who loves his or her country and is ready to boldly support and defend it. That meaning has endured since the word's arrival in English in the 16th century, but it has not marched through the years unchallenged.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

It's obvious that President Trump meets the quintessential, dictionary definition of the word, patriot.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

I don't know Trump personally, so I can't say what's in his heart regarding this matter. Based on how he expresses himself though, he leans in the direction of "America first" in an obnoxious way that's off putting. There are plenty of ways of communicating a focus on national priorities without being obnoxious about it. Some people may not care about diplomacy, but it's a skill you need lest you appear to be unnecessarily forceful. I always liked Teddy Roosevelt's quote "speak softly, but carry a big stick". I think Trump's problem is he starts off with confrontation first instead of saving it for when he really needs it. That's why he's never struck me as a skilled negotiator. His approach has often been leverage based and forceful which isn't always the best way for long term results.

I don't know Trump personally, so I can't say what's in his heart regarding this matter. Based on how he expresses himself though, he leans in the direction of "America first" in an obnoxious way that's off putting. There are plenty of ways of communicating a focus on national priorities without being obnoxious about it. Some people may not care about diplomacy, but it's a skill you need lest you appear to be unnecessarily forceful. I always liked Teddy Roosevelt's quote "speak softly, but carry a big stick". I think Trump's problem is he starts off with confrontation first instead of saving it for when he really needs it. That's why he's never struck me as a skilled negotiator. His approach has often been leverage based and forceful which isn't always the best way for long term results.

At times, his personality goes over the top. You'll get no argument from me.

Fair Weather Patriot- One who loves and supports his or her country, unless it’s raining.

Trump had a chance to serve, he passed. Wearing an American Flag pin and bragging how you rebuilt the military does not make one a patriot.

We have two former living Presidents who did serve when called, Presidents Carter and Bush, they are patriots as they answered their nations call.

Trump conned Veterans out of there GI Bill education benefits thru Trump U. Keep that in mind next time you call him a patriot

Carter and Bush patriots yes, Ol bonespurs no.

This Vet is keeping it real.

This is where it just got real. President Macron just came right out and said what we've been saying since the day that Trump proclaimed himself to be a 'Nationalist'. His base has no idea how telling that was and they refuse to acknowledge that Trump is by no means a patriot. His suporters translated 'nationalism' to 'patriotism' and as we've tried to warn them, it means the exact opposite. I saw this in his address to the United Nations, and so did every other EU ally to the U.S. They saw a man who is intent in dividing the EU, just as Putin wants. This episode in France where he wouldn't go to the remembrance ceremony marking the end of WW1 is exactly what Putin wanted. 116,708 American military personnel died during World War 1 from all causes (influenza, combat and wounds). Over 204,000 were wounded and 757 U.S. civilians died due to military action. Even though our own president doesn't see fit to honor them, the American people do. This man has no allegiance to this country nor does he have an ounce of respect for the memories of those men and women who gave their lives for this country.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/macron-warns-against-nationalism-apparent-rebuke-trump-wwi-commemoration-n934906

PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a rebuke of President Donald Trump’s “America first” approach to international affairs at a ceremony on Sunday commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

“Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism,” Macron said. “By saying, ‘Our interests first, who cares about the others,’ we erase what a nation holds dearest, what gives it life, what gives it grace and what is essential: its moral values."

Macron’s remarks, which he delivered just steps from Trump and more than 80 other world leaders, come on the heels of the U.S. president proudly declaring himself a “nationalist.”

“A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly not caring about our country so much, and you know what, we can't have that,” Trump said at a campaign rally in Houston on Oct. 22. “I'm a nationalist. Ok? I'm a nationalist. Nationalist. Use that word.”

After Macron finished his remarks, Trump appeared to grimace while offering muted and delayed applause.
Before 1914 Europe had been at peace since 1871. There were signs some conflicts, but the tensions seemed to be easing. No one expected WWI to happen. No one wanted it to happen, but it did... and then it happened again.

The lesson of WWI is that the most important time to fight for peace is when peace seems inevitable. And if you happen to be an archduke, make sure your driver doesn’t get lost.

I think President Trump can be a patriot without being a nationalist. That’s right. You heard me. He can’t be a nationalist. For he puts his profit above the life and safety of old women whose only mistake was to not sell their house to him at his own fixed price.

Before 1914 Europe had been at peace since 1871. There were signs some conflicts, but the tensions seemed to be easing. No one expected WWI to happen. No one wanted it to happen, but it did... and then it happened again.

The lesson of WWI is that the most important time to fight for peace is when peace seems inevitable. And if you happen to be an archduke, make sure your driver doesn’t get lost.

The end of WWI brought huge social changes to Europe, class structure went to the wayside. The oppurtunites for the working class increased as Democracy replaced monarchies. A fascinating time in European history.

The Canardan Prime Minister folding his umbrella to stand there giving his address in the rain, such a simple gesture to honor those fallen men. A classy young man, Canadians should be proud.

Saying Europe was at peace since 1871 is blatant lying. Just because England was able to blockade the Dutch supplies to their orange free state by no means makes a peace. And I believe there were in fact two boer wars between 1871 and 1914.

The Canardan Prime Minister folding his umbrella to stand there giving his address in the rain, such a simple gesture to honor those fallen men. A classy young man, Canadians should be proud.

........ may he follow in the foot steps of Harrison.

I think Macron was playing with words while playing to the crowd.
It's clear that the U.S. under any president's reign has shown France plenty of loyalty. We are one of France's biggest allies and will remain so. It's clear that Trump is loyal to our European allies. To say otherwise, is a blatant lie.

It would be a lie if Macron didn't put France first, not that there is anything wrong with putting the best interests of one's country first. Patriotism and Nationalism go hand in hand. The only difference now is that the left wants to make it look like being nationalistic is unpatriotic. To that, I say nonsense.

I think Macron was playing with words while playing to the crowd.
It's clear that the U.S. under any president's reign has shown France plenty of loyalty. We are one of France's biggest allies and will remain so. It's clear that Trump is loyal to our European allies. To say otherwise, is a blatant lie.

It would be a lie if Macron didn't put France first, not that there is anything wrong with putting the best interests of one's country first. Patriotism and Nationalism go hand in hand. The only difference now is that the left wants to make it look like being nationalistic is unpatriotic. To that, I say nonsense.
I don’t see how the two are intertwined. At all.

I don’t see how the two are intertwined. At all.

They go hand in hand... Try a dictionary.

We are living in a time where the PC cops are busy bastardizing words for an agenda.

Saying Europe was at peace since 1871 is blatant lying. Just because England was able to blockade the Dutch supplies to their orange free state by no means makes a peace. And I believe there were in fact two boer wars between 1871 and 1914.
What possible reason would I have to lie about Europe in 1871? The period is known as the long peace.
History 1C: Europe During the Long Peace, 1871-1914

The last time I checked South Africa was in Africa.

They go hand in hand... Try a dictionary.

We are living in a time where the PC cops are busy bastardizing words for an agenda.
im not bastardizing a thing. The Seneca were Nationalists yet it was Patriotic to be an Iroquois.

Back
Top Bottom