• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Macron warns against nationalism in apparent rebuke of Trump at WWI commemoration

That is not really a war.

So...........FDR maintaining the blockade against the Germans in 1940 was not an agressive action but a political shot across the bows?

...............” it was a peaceful thing “

You might want to keep up.
This morning, Pres. Trump gave a speech while out in the rain.... No umbrella, nada... ;)

Trump speaks at military cemetery without umbrella in soaking rain

I love the left's new narrative though that Trump is afraid to be out in the rain... Please carry on.

If this is true then it's further evidence that after being sufficiently shamed by Republicans for doing the wrong thing he can, in time, be be shamed into doing the right thing. However, it doesn't erase the fact that this first decision was to do the wrong thing (as usual).

You might want to keep up.
This morning, Pres. Trump gave a speech while out in the rain.... No umbrella, nada... ;)

Trump speaks at military cemetery without umbrella in soaking rain

I love the left's new narrative though that Trump is afraid to be out in the rain... Please carry on.

LOL, so just like after he praised some KKK and Neo Nazis in Charlottesville, after the pressure builds up enough, he is able to actually do the right thing.

Trump acts like an eight year old who has been forced to apologize to his sister for hitting her. Although a lot of eight year olds would probably consider that an insult.

This is where it just got real. President Macron just came right out and said what we've been saying since the day that Trump proclaimed himself to be a 'Nationalist'. His base has no idea how telling that was and they refuse to acknowledge that Trump is by no means a patriot. His suporters translated 'nationalism' to 'patriotism' and as we've tried to warn them, it means the exact opposite. I saw this in his address to the United Nations, and so did every other EU ally to the U.S. They saw a man who is intent in dividing the EU, just as Putin wants. This episode in France where he wouldn't go to the remembrance ceremony marking the end of WW1 is exactly what Putin wanted. 116,708 American military personnel died during World War 1 from all causes (influenza, combat and wounds). Over 204,000 were wounded and 757 U.S. civilians died due to military action. Even though our own president doesn't see fit to honor them, the American people do. This man has no allegiance to this country nor does he have an ounce of respect for the memories of those men and women who gave their lives for this country.

Macron warns against nationalism in apparent rebuke of Trump at WWI commemoration
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/macron-warns-against-nationalism-apparent-rebuke-trump-wwi-commemoration-n934906

PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a rebuke of President Donald Trump’s “America first” approach to international affairs at a ceremony on Sunday commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

“Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism,” Macron said. “By saying, ‘Our interests first, who cares about the others,’ we erase what a nation holds dearest, what gives it life, what gives it grace and what is essential: its moral values."

Macron’s remarks, which he delivered just steps from Trump and more than 80 other world leaders, come on the heels of the U.S. president proudly declaring himself a “nationalist.”

“A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly not caring about our country so much, and you know what, we can't have that,” Trump said at a campaign rally in Houston on Oct. 22. “I'm a nationalist. Ok? I'm a nationalist. Nationalist. Use that word.”

After Macron finished his remarks, Trump appeared to grimace while offering muted and delayed applause.

Macron nailed it:

“Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism,” Macron said. “By saying, ‘Our interests first, who cares about the others,’ we erase what a nation holds dearest, what gives it life, what gives it grace and what is essential: its moral values."

Once again, Macron cucks Trump.

Last edited:
Fair Weather Patriot- One who loves and supports his or her country, unless it’s raining.

Cadet Bone Spurs is a patriot? I think John McCain was a patriot but trump called him a coward and a traitor. Yep the 5 time draft dodger is DEFINITELY NOT a patriot.

trump is loyal to Putin - and that is all.

Putin certainly showed where Trump's allegiances lie in Helsinki. He got Trump to stand with Russia against the entire American Intelligence services. America was thoroughly cucked by its POTUS.

If this is true then it's further evidence that after being sufficiently shamed by Republicans for doing the wrong thing he can, in time, be be shamed into doing the right thing. However, it doesn't erase the fact that this first decision was to do the wrong thing (as usual).

I'm not sure I am able to agree with the last part.
I guess it would entirely depend on how the news media has spun the story. Who you gonna' believe?

I don't know if we will ever know the real reason Trump didn't show yesterday. The speculation coming from the left though is pretty funny.

LOL, so just like after he praised some KKK and Neo Nazis in Charlottesville, after the pressure builds up enough, he is able to actually do the right thing.

Trump acts like an eight year old who has been forced to apologize to his sister for hitting her. Although a lot of eight year olds would probably consider that an insult.

That's a lie.
He did not praise any KKK or Neo Nazis in Charlottesville. In fact, he has denounced them, and signed a resolution denouncing to that effect.

I actually believe he thought there were a few fine people who were there to protest the taking down of the statues but that's classic Trump, he shoots his mouth off, not thinking about the optics, and then has to turn around and do damage control.
One of the things that really bugs me about him.

That's a lie.

Nice projection. Or are you just determined to be one of the people Trump can con...one of the people Tru

He did not praise any KKK or Neo Nazis in Charlottesville.

Yes he did, called some of them "very fine people". I understand that Trump told you it never happened, and that you let him decide your reality, but honestly, it happened. Just try...try...using your own ears and eyes.

Trump Defends White-Nationalist Protesters: 'Some Very Fine People'

In fact, he has denounced them, and signed a resolution denouncing to that effect.

That was after days of relentless pressure from all sides. Like an eight year old who hits his sister and refuses to reply until the parents threaten drastic steps. Then the child, or in this case the childish Trump, makes a pathetic apology. The White Supremacists know what Trump was saying:

One group loved Trump’s remarks about Charlottesville: White supremacists
"He said he loves us all"

I actually believe he thought there were a few fine people who were there to protest the taking down of the statues but that's classic Trump,

Yep, using hate, fear, and racism to energize the base, that's classic Trump alright. Interesting that he apparently considers his base to be largely made up of cowardly racists, don't you think?

Too bad he apparently thinks, judging by his actions, that he thinks his base are cowardly racists. You're part of his base, right?

Trump’s Midterm Closing Argument: Pure Racial Fear

That would bug me a lot more, someone I support thinking I'm a cowardly racist, but you seem to be OK with it. You are OK with that, right? I mean, I still see you defending him.

Last edited:
That's a lie.
He did not praise any KKK or Neo Nazis in Charlottesville. In fact, he has denounced them, and signed a resolution denouncing to that effect.

I actually believe he thought there were a few fine people who were there to protest the taking down of the statues but that's classic Trump, he shoots his mouth off, not thinking about the optics, and then has to turn around and do damage control.

That's a lie. He didn't denounce them. He equivalized them.

I don't know Trump personally, so I can't say what's in his heart regarding this matter. Based on how he expresses himself though, he leans in the direction of "America first" in an obnoxious way that's off putting. There are plenty of ways of communicating a focus on national priorities without being obnoxious about it. Some people may not care about diplomacy, but it's a skill you need lest you appear to be unnecessarily forceful. I always liked Teddy Roosevelt's quote "speak softly, but carry a big stick". I think Trump's problem is he starts off with confrontation first instead of saving it for when he really needs it. That's why he's never struck me as a skilled negotiator. His approach has often been leverage based and forceful which isn't always the best way for long term results.

That's exactly how Trump governs. He sees it as coming from a position of power, but most view him as simply being a bully attempting to throw his weight around forcing people to conform to his way. His post midterm election press conference was a very clear example. Any Republican Senator who didn't "embrace" him can expect retribution from him. Even more disturbing is if the Demacrat majority House doesn't "work with him" and in particular agree not to hold any investigations into his business, personal or financial dealings, he's vowed to retaliate. This is not leadership, ladies and gentlemen. This is dictatorship...."bend to my will or else".

Trump's leadership style notwithstanding, leveraging himself (via his family name) and his strategic position (whatever it may be where his businesses are concerned and much of that was probably courtesy of OPM [Other People's Money, i.e., bank loans, law suits and bankruptcies]) is all he knows. Some may see it as a strength; I see it as a hostile takeover of the body politic.

This is where it just got real. President Macron just came right out and said what we've been saying since the day that Trump proclaimed himself to be a 'Nationalist'. His base has no idea how telling that was and they refuse to acknowledge that Trump is by no means a patriot. His suporters translated 'nationalism' to 'patriotism' and as we've tried to warn them, it means the exact opposite. I saw this in his address to the United Nations, and so did every other EU ally to the U.S. They saw a man who is intent in dividing the EU, just as Putin wants. This episode in France where he wouldn't go to the remembrance ceremony marking the end of WW1 is exactly what Putin wanted. 116,708 American military personnel died during World War 1 from all causes (influenza, combat and wounds). Over 204,000 were wounded and 757 U.S. civilians died due to military action. Even though our own president doesn't see fit to honor them, the American people do. This man has no allegiance to this country nor does he have an ounce of respect for the memories of those men and women who gave their lives for this country.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/macron-warns-against-nationalism-apparent-rebuke-trump-wwi-commemoration-n934906

PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a rebuke of President Donald Trump’s “America first” approach to international affairs at a ceremony on Sunday commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

Macron’s remarks, which he delivered just steps from Trump and more than 80 other world leaders, come on the heels of the U.S. president proudly declaring himself a “nationalist.”

“A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly not caring about our country so much, and you know what, we can't have that,” Trump said at a campaign rally in Houston on Oct. 22. “I'm a nationalist. Ok? I'm a nationalist. Nationalist. Use that word.”

After Macron finished his remarks, Trump appeared to grimace while offering muted and delayed applause.

Macron and the rest of the globalists are continuing to lose the argument, their poor quality work having a lot to do with that. .

This is why actually understanding history is important. Understanding history is far more than just pushing around a few factoids. Macron's perspective on nationalism is about Europe's more tribal history of it, which was (is) an obvious problem. Nationalism was a major driving force behind both of their civil wars, turned World Wars. Add that to the accompanying arms race, and it was only a matter of time before "patriotism" wanted to use its toys for the glory of the nation. Nationalism (or tribalism) sat at the heart of the escalating issues in Europe prior to Wold War I, right up to the spark, and right into the joyous march to war. Nationalism (or tribalism) absolutely sat on Hitler's tongue as he sought to unite the Germanic tribe against Jewish, communist, liberal, Catholic, capitalist, and globalist enemies. The rest of Europe happily used nationalism to start gutting out their own populations of undesirables and this didn't actually stop until a few years after World War II officially ended.

However, nationalism does not have the negative stigma everywhere. Nationalism is what helped drive many of the colonies to demand independence from their colonial masters after both World Wars. Of course, after gaining independence some invoked its negative connotation, such as the Hindu/Muslim divide in India, thereby creating Pakistan and one of the most violent cross border migrations in human history. But there is also the type of nationalism that united people in order to address Europe's two civil wars, such as in the UK, America, Canada, and even in Russia. De Guall used nationalism to define what a true and loyal Frenchman was against Vichy as he pulled military loyalty in Africa away and towards the allies.

Macron is talking about the type of nationalism that would define itself in more of a tribal nature, as it seeks aggression to "defend" from another tribe. This involves something that details what a person of any given country is "supposed" to look like, politically believe in, and worship. He is talking about a blind patriotism that preaches about a love for one's country and its ideals, but destroys those things in order to attack imaginary enemies who obstruct the path to a false ideology. In the end,"doing what ever it takes," as plenty on this site frequently posts, destroys those very ideals.

That's a lie. He didn't denounce them. He equivalized them.

There is an equivalency between the Nazis and Antifa. In fact they are different sides of the same coin. And Trump did denounce them. You just cant admit it because it spoils the false narrative that your television masters have planted in your head.

This is why actually understanding history is important. Understanding history is far more than just pushing around a few factoids. Macron's perspective on nationalism is about Europe's more tribal history of it, which was (is) an obvious problem. Nationalism was a major driving force behind both of their civil wars, turned World Wars. Add that to the accompanying arms race, and it was only a matter of time before "patriotism" wanted to use its toys for the glory of the nation. Nationalism (or tribalism) sat at the heart of the escalating issues in Europe prior to Wold War I, right up to the spark, and right into the joyous march to war. Nationalism (or tribalism) absolutely sat on Hitler's tongue as he sought to unite the Germanic tribe against Jewish, communist, liberal, Catholic, capitalist, and globalist enemies. The rest of Europe happily used nationalism to start gutting out their own populations of undesirables and this didn't actually stop until a few years after World War II officially ended.

However, nationalism does not have the negative stigma everywhere. Nationalism is what helped drive many of the colonies to demand independence from their colonial masters after both World Wars. Of course, after gaining independence some invoked its negative connotation, such as the Hindu/Muslim divide in India, thereby creating Pakistan and one of the most violent cross border migrations in human history. But there is also the type of nationalism that united people in order to address Europe's two civil wars, such as in the UK, America, Canada, and even in Russia. De Guall used nationalism to define what a true and loyal Frenchman was against Vichy as he pulled military loyalty in Africa away and towards the allies.

Macron is talking about the type of nationalism that would define itself in more of a tribal nature, as it seeks aggression to "defend" from another tribe. This involves something that details what a person of any given country is "supposed" to look like, politically believe in, and worship. He is talking about a blind patriotism that preaches about a love for one's country and its ideals, but destroys those things in order to attack imaginary enemies who obstruct the path to a false ideology. In the end,"doing what ever it takes," as plenty on this site frequently posts, destroys those very ideals.

So according to Macron, who is doing this?

So according to Macron, who is doing this?

It seems clear that he is talking about the wide sweeping far-right mood across Europe (look at Poland's latest "Pure Poland, white Poland) celebration. His primary thought would be to his own local environment.

But he is also alluding to the U.S.' current exacerbation of and escalating xenophobia, anti-globalist, paranoia, and the culture of irrationality that prefers imagination and lies to facts, which greatly looks like the German mood of the 1920s and 1930s. One has to be blind not to see that today's American nationalism is not about uniting the country, but dividing it along various lines in order to define "America" against numerous imagined enemies, foreign and domestic.

Just look at this character:

Why should we be concerned about campaign finance laws when the left is unconcerned about all laws? We can go back to being a nation of laws once we clean out the infestation of liberals. Job one for us is do whatever it takes to defeat you.

The rino republicans are as much to blame for our current situation including the debt as the democrats.

Do you think the far-right sentiments of this members' post isn't a wide-sweeping theme among conservatives and "libertarians" today? For this angry and highly irrational person, democracy means only one Party. For him, the enemy must be defeated and removed. For him, the "infestation" is ruining America and once it is cleaned out of government, by whatever it takes, then he and his kind can go back to law and create the America only he and his kind demand. "Our" Constitutional Republic isn't really about us, it is about him and his kind against the rest who should not be considered as Americans. He would deny a substantial percentage of the citizenry their representation, to include those who aren't Trump enough, so that his new and improved Party can rule all. Of course, is just until it is time to rinse and repeat, just like what Europeans have done. And the irony is that he insists on this behavior while preaching about protecting the "Constitutional" Republic. I guarantee you that he maintains a seething hatred for ANTIFA without any regard as to what he himself is representing.

But this nonsense is how he, as a patriot and good American, is defining our nationalism and his patriotism. And this is what Europeans have historically presented as nationalism. There weren't a lot of Europeans after WWI or Germans after WWII who felt very patriotic about what they had done.

Last edited:
Macron truly believes exactly what he said using the real definition of a nationalist, not the CNN definition. If you go back and read his campaign speeches running against the Frexit candidates, you will see he truly loves the EU and the thought of being part of a collective and the protections provided, and wants his citizens to love and embrace EU rule. It was a brilliantly written speech though, the EU heard what they wanted to hear, and the msm crowd got a chance to run with their new definition against Trump. Kudos to the speech writer!

Back
Top Bottom