• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Macron, Putin agree to work for Ukraine ceasefire:

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"IS WILLING TO WORK FOR A CEASEFIRE.."What Putin wants" (Zelensky) (instead of just demands like from Biden) ^comment
French President Emmanuel Macron and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin have agreed to work for a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine, with the foreign ministers of the two countries set to meet in the coming days.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is willing to meet Putin to find out “what the Russian president wants” and seek a “peaceful settlement” amid growing concern over a possible imminent invasion.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is willing to meet Putin to find out “what the Russian president wants” and seek a “peaceful settlement” amid growing concern over a possible imminent invasion.
We all know what Putin "wants".
Too bad he ain't gonna get it.

I am cautiously optimistic. The actual shelling in Eastern Ukraine could easily escalate, so I'm glad to hear Putin seems to understand the potential of this going sideways. I still think Russia was never intending on invading, but rather placing pressure on Ukraine by the threat of conflict which has all sorts of bad effects on political and economic stability.

"IS WILLING TO WORK FOR A CEASEFIRE.."What Putin wants" (Zelensky) (instead of just demands like from Biden) ^comment
French President Emmanuel Macron and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin have agreed to work for a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine, with the foreign ministers of the two countries set to meet in the coming days.

Nobody should trust Putin on anything.

I am cautiously optimistic. The actual shelling in Eastern Ukraine could easily escalate, so I'm glad to hear Putin seems to understand the potential of this going sideways. I still think Russia was never intending on invading, but rather placing pressure on Ukraine by the threat of conflict which has all sorts of bad effects on political and economic stability.
I also think Putin is testing the west, and also trying to get the West numb to his sabre rattling, so that when Nato doesn't respond, he CAN invade.

I dont know if a ceasefire is actually possible (LDNR) as it the Russian separatists-not Russian troops doing the fighting
But talking and clarifying between Zelensky and Putin as well as Macron on the ceasefire is at least a viable path for now -and if it stops an incursion it's worthwhile in it's own right

A ceasefire for a war that hasn't started yet?

This really sounds like Munich 1938, trying to create an agreement without the actual concerned party, Ukraine being an optional participant and all. Why are we humoring Russia?

What demands from Biden do you consider unreasonable, irresponsible, or unnecessary?

what did the mafia boss in moscow get in return so far?

Nobody should trust Putin on anything.

Yeah he was really truthful about Crimea! NOT!

I think it's obvious he wants to be seen going through all the motion's for peace but his intention is to steamroll over Ukraine after a false flag incident(s).

Last edited:

I agree with diplomacy until and continuing if Russia moves into Ukraine, but imo this is just another 'time passes' tactic by putin.

What demands from Biden do you consider unreasonable, irresponsible, or unnecessary?
Biden refuses to take Russian security interests as legit. He certainly didn't start that trend.
as much as I supported Trump I also supported Obama and his "Russian reset"
Biden won't even talk about ceasefires (US played no role in Minsk as well)
We should be doing all we can to defuse the situation instead of just issuing threats. Macron gets this

Biden refuses to take Russian security interests as legit. He certainly didn't start that trend
but he won't even talk about ceasefires (US played no role in Minsk as well)
We should be doing all we can to defuse the situation instead of just issuing threats. Macron gets this

What security interest is Putin concerned about that is "legit?"

This really sounds like Munich 1938, trying to create an agreement without the actual concerned party, Ukraine being an optional participant and all. Why are we humoring Russia?
Zelensky is willing to meet Putin. I think Putin has said no (?) so that's on Putin too
Hopefully talks can advance some from this weaponized stalemate

What security interest is Putin concerned about that is "legit?"
well he wants us to stop sending warships into Crimean restricted waters.
( Brits have done more on that then we have but we do it too)
Aslo quit buzzing the Russian coastline

But the Big Enchillada is keeping Ukraine neutral in terms of NATO membership

His security concern is that we threaten territory he annexed from Ukraine?

Seems disingenuous.

If he really wants to protect his security, he might refrain from infringing upon other countries around him and trying to turn them into client states of his corrupt, totalitarian regime. Stop surreptitously interfering in the democratic elections of other countries and lying about genocide to create division in them.

Don't kid yourself. He calls it security; he means control.

If he could just walk back his pathetic state and let others be, he would be fine, perfectly secure. But he doesn't want to do that. He wants his empire.

I agree with diplomacy until and continuing if Russia moves into Ukraine, but imo this is just another 'time passes' tactic by putin.

Let things continue to escalate so it's hard to determine when that has ended and war has started. The good old Fog of War.

Although Ukraine has clearly expressed interest in NATO, it is far from clear, and seems unlikely, that all NATO countries would agree to let Ukraine in at this point. The Big Enchilada is mostly Putin propaganda.

I think Putin wants to invade so badly he can taste it, however he may by now have worked out that Ukraine will not just fold like a pretzel and capitulate. They will fight. and in all likelihood there will be an insurgency. It will not just be a walk in like Crimea. 50,000 dead in Ukraine and perhaps thousands of dead Russian soldiers will not be a good look for Russia. The gain may not be worth the long term consequences of Russia starting a major war in Europe.

Biden refuses to take Russian security interests as legit. He certainly didn't start that trend
but he won't even talk about ceasefires (US played no role in Minsk as well) -but we shuld be doing all we can to defuse the situation instead of just issuing threats. Macron gets this

You don't seem to take Ukraine's security interest as legit. And, it doesn't seem to be 'security interests' as much as 'imperialistic expansion' on the part of Russia

Let things continue to escalate so it's hard to determine when that has ended and war has started. The good old Fog of War.
Saw a piece this morning where Ukrainians in the east believe the war has already started.:(

Yes,

The original objective was to exploit the weakness and suspicion that had developed between the US and Europe during the Trump regime.

This has clearly failed.

Then he tried playing the Europeans against one another and against the US.

That didn’t succeed either.

Now, he’s trying to drive a wedge between Ukraine and NATO, trying to capitalize on remarks Zelinsky made at Munich yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom