• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

M-16 rifle misplaced by L.A. County Sheriff's Department

M-16 rifle misplaced by L.A. County Sheriff's Department - latimes.com

Oops.

Hard to believe that they have no idea where it is. At the very least they should have a record of who signed for it last....unless the LAPD is too professional for that kind of stuff. I mean, hell, rules are for the little people, right?

Looks like somebody's about to get sh*t canned.

I don't know about law enforcement, but in the military, losing a weapon is pretty damn close to being an outright career ender.

Last edited:
Looks like somebody's about to get sh*t canned.

I don't know about law enforcement, but in the military, losing a weapon is pretty damn close to be an outright career ender.

Career ender? In my part of the military, it was jail time.

I couldn't say. I've never actually seen it happen. :lol:

I just know that it would be very, very bad.

Had a buddy drop his weapon out of a chopper coming back from an op, and we didn't see him for three months. Not cool to loose your weapon. Even less cool to do it in a place we weren't supposed to even be.

How much does an m16 cost?

In the public sector, you lose something as simple as a price gun, you're liable to get canned.

Unit replacement cost of an M16A2 rifle for the US Army is listed as $586. May be different for the LAPD.

Mine cost a lot more than that. Almost four time that. But it isn't an A2. What you see in my avatar is an A1. That weapon saw combat in Vietnam. It made it out of Somalia, but just barely. Spent more time cleaning and lubing it than than a sex addict does his... well, you know.

Mine cost a lot more than that. Almost four time that. But it isn't an A2. What you see in my avatar is an A1. That weapon saw combat in Vietnam. It made it out of Somalia, but just barely. Spent more time cleaning and lubing it than than a sex addict does his... well, you know.

I would have to go out on a limb and say that was due to manufacture processes of the day. Back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, a person did most of the work. These days, machines do most of the hard work, where actual human beings just do final fit and finish. It allows companies like FN and Colt to produce higher quantities of rifles at a reduced cost.

That said, the A2 and A3 also require a ridiculous level of regular maintenance, and they'll both jam up for seemingly no reason at all.

I would have to go out on a limb and say that was due to manufacture processes of the day. Back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, a person did most of the work. These days, machines do most of the hard work, where actual human beings just do final fit and finish. It allows companies like FN and Colt to produce higher quantities of rifles at a reduced cost.

That said, the A2 and A3 also require a ridiculous level of regular maintenance, and they'll both jam up for seemingly no reason at all.

That's why if we ran across an AK, we help on to it. You could bury it in the dirt, dig it up, blow on it once or twice and empty a few clips without on misfire or jam. I like the 7.62 rather than the 5.56 rounds also. More accurate and better take-down. Love the 39 over the 54. Lighter round with less flash.

I know where it is - louisiana-bank

That's why they are just too dangerous for us common folk to own.

A automatic weapon doesn't make you more or less efficient bank robber than a semi-automatic weapon.

That's why if we ran across an AK, we help on to it. You could bury it in the dirt, dig it up, blow on it once or twice and empty a few clips without on misfire or jam. I like the 7.62 rather than the 5.56 rounds also. More accurate and better take-down. Love the 39 over the 54. Lighter round with less flash.

I have to disagree with more accurate. I could hit a target at over 300 meters with the M16A2 I had in Korea, and that thing was beat the hell up and turning grey. I couldn't get that same level of accuracy out of a brand new AK that was fresh from the factory, and I tried. I liked the SKS better because it's more consistent with groupings, but anything beyond 150 meters is a stab in the dark. The 7.62x39 is a hard hitter in close quarters, which is what both the SKS and AK were designed for, but it's not the one you want if you need to hit a long distance target. The 5.56x45 may not be a hard hitter, but you can pop a target at a much greater distance, with enough force to be convincing.

My gripe isn't with the round, but the M16 itself. It's a terrible battle rifle, because there's always that doubt in the back of every Soldier's mind that when they squeeze the trigger, something is going to go wrong. There are better 5.56 rifles available, but the US Military insists on staying the course with a rifle that has proven time and time again to be a total failure. Its short comings are lethal in combat, and the ****ing thing should have never been adopted.

A automatic weapon doesn't make you more or less efficient bank robber than a semi-automatic weapon.

I was being sarcastic. Many anti-gun folks think the only ones who should have guns are LEO, military etc. yet it seems many LEO's are more irresponsible with weapons than us 2nd-tiered civilians - there are apparently two classes of civilians, the LEO-civilians and non-LEO civilians, according to some.

I have to disagree with more accurate. I could hit a target at over 300 meters with the M16A2 I had in Korea, and that thing was beat the hell up and turning grey. I couldn't get that same level of accuracy out of a brand new AK that was fresh from the factory, and I tried. I liked the SKS better because it's more consistent with groupings, but anything beyond 150 meters is a stab in the dark. The 7.62x39 is a hard hitter in close quarters, which is what both the SKS and AK were designed for, but it's not the one you want if you need to hit a long distance target. The 5.56x45 may not be a hard hitter, but you can pop a target at a much greater distance, with enough force to be convincing.

My gripe isn't with the round, but the M16 itself. It's a terrible battle rifle, because there's always that doubt in the back of every Soldier's mind that when they squeeze the trigger, something is going to go wrong. There are better 5.56 rifles available, but the US Military insists on staying the course with a rifle that has proven time and time again to be a total failure. Its short comings are lethal in combat, and the ****ing thing should have never been adopted.

I can agree with all that. My experience is all close quarters. We didn't fire at targets unless we were either about to be overrun or discovered, or engaging offensively directly. We didn't want the fact that we were there to be known until the last second, so long range take downs were not an option. When the bad guys found out we were there, we were either already gone, or it was last thing they thought.

I can agree with all that. My experience is all close quarters. We didn't fire at targets unless we were either about to be overrun or discovered, or engaging offensively directly. We didn't want the fact that we were there to be known until the last second, so long range take downs were not an option. When the bad guys found out we were there, we were either already gone, or it was last thing they thought.

Fair enough. I was a mechanic, so had they ever deployed me, there's no telling what I would have come across out there. For regular GI's like I was, having the option of connecting a long distance shot instills some confidence. I hear that the Germans and the Swiss make far superior 5.56 combat rifles, which is a shame. We're supposed to be the best.

M-16 rifle misplaced by L.A. County Sheriff's Department - latimes.com

Oops.

Hard to believe that they have no idea where it is. At the very least they should have a record of who signed for it last....unless the LAPD is too professional for that kind of stuff. I mean, hell, rules are for the little people, right?

I highly respect the LACSD but under the current and prior Sheriff the L.A. Co. Sheriffs Department were forced to lower their academic standers in the name of political correctness. If these deputies would have spent more time reading and would have read Col. Hackworths book, "About Face" they would have known how to account for that M-16.

Col. Hackworth was either the CO or XO of the 90 mm AA gun battery in 1959 two blocks from my home in Manhattan Beach, Ca. when I was growing up. 90 mm gun batteries were common all over L.A. and Orange County back during the first half of the Cold War, the last line of defense when Ruskie bombers tried to bomb L.A. They were deactivated when the Nike Zeus and Nike Hercules SAM's came on line.

One day the OD noticed that a M-2 carbine was missing from the armory. The M-2 carbine being the fully automatic version of the M-1 carbine. Hackworth's military career was on the line. He had to be able to account for this fully automatic carbine. He explains in the book how he did it. All he hoped that the M-2 never ended up being found at a crime scene. Well it's been 52 years and it still hasn't popped up at any crime scenes. Someone out there still has a full automatic M-2 carbine. Many of us who lived in the neighborhood have a pretty good idea who had it.

Unit replacement cost of an M16A2 rifle for the US Army is listed as $586. May be different for the LAPD.

I think about $12K.

Unit replacement cost for a modern M16 is between $600-$1,000. If they were legal for civilians to own, a modern M16 would retail for between $1,500-$2,000.

Since assault-rifles are illegal for civilian ownership in direct violation of the US Constitution, the price to a civilian buyer begins at $20,000 and goes up from there.

U
In the public sector, you lose something as simple as a price gun, you're liable to get canned.
An NFA M16 will cost in excess of 20k. Military pays a lot less but cost of the weapon is of no concern to the military. Losing the weapon regardless of cost will get you hammered. If someone is not canned for the loss, the LAPD deserves even less respect that what they already have.

Unit replacement cost for a modern M16 is between $600-$1,000. If they were legal for civilians to own, a modern M16 would retail for between $1,500-$2,000.

Since assault-rifles are illegal for civilian ownership in direct violation of the US Constitution, the price to a civilian buyer begins at $20,000 and goes up from there.

If the military can buy a rifle for less than a civilian can, why do they pay so much for hammers and toilet seats?

If the military can buy a rifle for less than a civilian can, why do they pay so much for hammers and toilet seats?
If you don't spend your entire budget you get less money the next year.

Back
Top Bottom