• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lynch: Justice Dept. to seek death penalty against Dylann Roof [W: 157]

Southern Dad

Presidential Candidate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Lynch: Justice Dept. to seek death penalty against Dylann Roof

Attorney General Loretta Lynch announced Tuesday that the Justice Department would seek the death penalty against Charleston church shooting suspect Dylann Roof.

“The nature of the alleged crime and the resulting harm compelled this decision,’’ Lynch said in written statement.

Last July, Lynch announced federal hate crime charges against the then-21-year-old suspect, alleging that Roof sought to ignite racial tensions across the country by targeting Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church because of its local and historical significance.

The 33-count federal indictment charged Roof with nine murders, three attempted murders and multiple firearms offenses as part of a long-planned assault in which Roof allegedly singled out victims "because of their race and in order to interfere with their exercise of their religion.''

Johnson, K. (2016). Lynch: Justice Dept. to seek death penalty against Dylann Roof. Retrieved May 25, 2016, from Lynch: Justice Dept. to seek death penalty against Dylann Roof

I thought the left was against the Death Penalty. Yet, here the Democrat Administration of President Barack H Obama is seeking the Death Penalty in the case of Dylan Roof. Why? Is it that the left is opposed to the Death Penalty with a few a few exceptions? Is there a deeper agenda in seeking the Death Penalty in this case? Though on crime position maybe?

Re: Lynch: Justice Dept. to seek death penalty against Dylann Roof

I'm not sure this is a federal case. So, why is Lynch even piping in?

Oh...never mind. Federal Hate Crime.

I thought the left was against the Death Penalty. Yet, here the Democrat Administration of President Barack H Obama is seeking the Death Penalty in the case of Dylan Roof. Why? Is it that the left is opposed to the Death Penalty with a few a few exceptions? Is there a deeper agenda in seeking the Death Penalty in this case? Though on crime position maybe?

Fun fact: liberals are actually a series of individuals with some variation in what they actually believe!

I'm personally against the death penalty. Our system of justice is flawed. When there is a chance that a single innocent person can be put to death(and I have no doubt that the state has executed the innocent) I am against it.

Please, just pull a Kurmudgeon already and tell us how oppressed this young white male is.

I'm not sure this is a federal case. So, why is Lynch even piping in?

Oh...never mind. Federal Hate Crime.

Exactly. Just to make sure to get a conviction they elevate it to a federal hate crime.

Fun fact: liberals are actually a series of individuals with some variation in what they actually believe!

Isn't that odd, so are conservatives but you couldn't tell when everyone in here gets painted with the same brush because of something Bush, or Trump says.

I'm personally against the death penalty. Our system of justice is flawed. When there is a chance that a single innocent person can be put to death(and I have no doubt that the state has executed the innocent) I am against it.

Here's a tip, if you are going to commit a heinous crime, don't do it in a state that has the Death Penalty. The states should allow tours of the prisons so future inmates can determine where best to commit their crimes. Maine has better food, Texas prisons are warmer, etc.

Please, just pull a Kurmudgeon already and tell us how oppressed this young white male is.

Oppressed? I think he needs the Death Penalty.

Exactly. Just to make sure to get a conviction they elevate it to a federal hate crime.

Yeah. I fail to understand why 8 counts of murder in state court isn't enough.

Here's a tip, if you are going to commit a heinous crime, don't do it in a state that has the Death Penalty. The states should allow tours of the prisons so future inmates can determine where best to commit their crimes. Maine has better food, Texas prisons are warmer, etc.

I can't condone execution by a government that has likely executed innocent people.

Except for flippant dismissal, your post did nothing to address the points presented in his opposing post! :doh

Isn't that odd, so are conservatives but you couldn't tell when everyone in here gets painted with the same brush because of something Bush, or Trump says.

It's certainly odd that you would be aware of such an error while simultaneously making it yourself, yes!

I can't condone execution by a government that has likely executed innocent people.

It's a problem.

Another fun fact, as a single example of "the liberal" Loretta Lynch has a long history of being strongly opposed to the death penalty even famously arguing that the relative ease with which the death penalty was invoked when defendants were likely to be African-American or Hispanic suggested a systemic disregard for minority citizens.

Issues of Consistency in the Federal Death Penalty said:
“Apply the death penalty to securities fraud prosecutions and wipe out [the racial disparity] just like that,” Lynch suggested, knowing that no legislature would even imagine such a strategy. But when the defendants are primarily poor and minority, she said, “you don’t have anybody there on the floor of Congress saying, ‘Wait a minute.’”

As a U.S. Attorney Lynch was well known for not seeking the death penalty in cases against minority offenders when other attorneys would have done so without giving it a second thought.

But in the case of a high-profile white offender killing African Americans Lynch has no such objection.

Oddly, coming out of the Obama administration, this completely fails to surprise.

And just to alleviate any confusion here, I'm not suggesting that Roof should be spared the death penalty. If he's found guilty of the crimes he's been charged with he certainly deserves it.

My point is simply that Loretta Lynch is a racist piece of trash.

Last edited:

Another fun fact, as a single example of "the liberal" Loretta Lynch has a long history of being strongly opposed to the death penalty even famously arguing that the relative ease with which the death penalty was invoked when defendants were likely to be African-American or Hispanic suggested a systemic disregard for minority citizens.

As a U.S. Attorney Lynch was well known for not seeking the death penalty in cases against minority offenders when other attorneys would have done so without giving it a second thought.

But in the case of a high-profile white offender killing African Americans Lynch has no such objection.

Oddly, coming out of the Obama administration, this completely fails to surprise.

If that fact is proven on appeal, this case is destined for a commutation, if a death sentence is given.

I still do not see how the Federal Government has jurisdiction on this matter. Sure, they can charge the punk with a hate crime. But does not the state of SC have the right for first bite at the apple?

I'm confused on this. Murder, unless on Federal property, is a state crime.

ANd, this gets even stranger.

Federal death penalties are relatively rare. According to the Death Penalty Information Center, only three federal prisoners have been executed in the past half century, and none since 2003. The last person to be legally killed by the US federal government, not by a state, was a Gulf War veteran, Louis Jones Jr.,, who was executed for murdering an Army recruit.

That said, even if he was handed a death sentence and that was upheld on appeal and that sentence was not commuted, Roof, 22, can't actually be executed, for the time being.

There has been a moratorium on federal executions in effect since 2010 due to an ongoing internal review of death penalty protocol, specifically about issues surrounding the lethal injection method.

https://news.vice.com/article/dylan...o-be-executed-by-the-us-government-since-2003

Last edited:

Doesn't matter to me who kills the bass-turd.

He deserves a long slow painful death.

Except for flippant dismissal, your post did nothing to address the points presented in his opposing post! :doh
Seems to be his norm.

Doesn't matter to me who kills the bass-turd.

He deserves a long slow painful death.

They didn't sentence the Boston Bomber to death. Makes you wonder if a different federal jury will do the same here, sentence him to life. Scratch that. They did sentence him to death.

A SC Jury would not hesitate to sentence this kid to death. They'd have this kid on death row by next year, and dead within 5.

Last edited:

Dylan Roof is guilty enough to be executed.

I am also against the death penalty for the exact same reason you are, but you will never see me shedding any tears for punks like this. Let the execution begin.

given what this kid did he deserve the needle.

It would actually be crueler to put him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life with nothing whatsoever to do but eat, sh*t, and sleep. Make him even more bat sheet crazy if that's possible.

Back
Top Bottom