• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lyme Disease

KevinKohler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I used to be very much an outdoors sort of guy, still am to some extent. But two years ago, I got Lyme disease, and have been a LOT more cautious since. I was lucky enough to get a positive diagnosis fairly early on, and it went into remission after 4 weeks of antibiotics. Still, from time to time, I get sudden flair ups of really bad allergies, flue like symptoms, fatigue, etc, out of the blue. I have asked my Dr about it, and he says it could be from lyme, or just plain old getting older. I'm 32, and healthy, I jog about 6-9 miles per week depending on work schedule. In general, my energy level is very high. But sometimes, I'm just beat, for no reason.

What got me started looking into this thing was the vague nature of answer my Dr provided me. Could be? Possibly? Maybe?

We've mapped the entire human genome. This disease has been around and diagnosed in this country for almost 40 years.

Turns out, like some of its symptoms, this disease appeared out of the blue. Just, all of a sudden, in CT, a new disease is born in 1975. From nowhere. A very short distance from Plum Iseland, a government research facility devoted to the study of animal diseases, primary hoof in mouth. Now, that is hard fact. What is less hard is, after WWII, a nazi scientist by the name of Eric Traub was brought to the US during operation paper clip. Traub's specialty? Biological warfare. His tested mode of delivery? Ticks. Again, this isn't hard fact, as evidence to support it is thin. Except that Traub WAS an expert in bio warfare, ands he theorized that ticks are a viable and effective delivery method. But was he brought to the US, and posted on Plum Island? Hard to say.

But now the CDC lists lyme as a bio weapon, along with west Nile, and a few others.

In 2006, Yale was able to trace lyme to Europe, where it existed as an almost benign bacteria, nothing compared to the debilitating thing it now is.

Somewhere, this thing changed, and fast. The first reported case is swimming distance from a facility purported to house a bioweapons expert who proposed ticks as a delivery method.

The only thing is, why? It's not a terribly effective bio weapon, if it is that. If needed, I would make a pretty decent soldier, still. It's not very lethal. It can be debilitating, but only if not treated early.

So, what is it? A freak mutation? A failed biological weapon?

Right--if it is an old disease, if the Chinese knew of it, then it's not likely to have been developed by our spooks.

But I don't put disease introduction beyond the government spooks, it just seems unlikely in this case.

After everything they did with LSD and syphillis and other conditions, ....:(

Right--if it is an old disease, if the Chinese knew of it, then it's not likely to have been developed by our spooks.

But I don't put disease introduction beyond the government spooks, it just seems unlikely in this case.

After everything they did with LSD and syphillis and other conditions, ....:(

The original strain is old. The one that surfaced in 1975, swimming distance from a federal disease research facility, is nothing like the original strain. It is, in many ways, almost an entirely new disease. Do diseases mutate overnight so dramatically? Not one case of a disease like it till 1975, and from then on, an explotion, spreading into Canada, as far west as Texas, as far south as Georgia.

I have nothing to offer, sorry, but this is a fascinating thread.

The original strain is old. The one that surfaced in 1975, swimming distance from a federal disease research facility, is nothing like the original strain. It is, in many ways, almost an entirely new disease. Do diseases mutate overnight so dramatically? Not one case of a disease like it till 1975, and from then on, an explotion, spreading into Canada, as far west as Texas, as far south as Georgia.

Thanks very much, I'll take your word for it as I know nothing more that what's been said on TV.

That it began that close to a federal research laboratory does not surprise me. Same way the lovebugs began down here in Florida back in early 70s

Back
Top Bottom