• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lower the voting age in America to 16

Agree or Disagree?

• Total voters
I've been saying the same about the Left for years. ;)
Yes. But the difference is that mine cleaves pretty one to one with that of the rest of the world while yours is exclusively that of consumers of American conservative media.

According to Democrats, 18 year olds are not mature enough to buy a gun, nor mature enough to be responsible for their student loans. If the voting age needs to be changed, it should be to 21 across the board. There used to be a powerful argument for 18 year olds to vote when they were subject to being drafted into the military, but that's been over for almost 50 years.

The notion of 16 year olds voting is absurd.

No. Cannot sign a contract, cannot vote.
I guess proof that one has signed a contract should be required to vote then.

I mean, if one can't prove one has signed a contract one can't prove they can sign a contract.

Right?

But in reality age at which one can sign a contract varies from State to State as well as whether an individual has been granted court ordered emancipation.

What about the states that don't consider individuals sufficiently able to sign a contract until they are 19 or 21? Do you take away their right to vote until they meet those ages?

What about states that allow a 16 year old to sign a contract with parental consent?

So much to consider, so much to winnow out...

;)

The drinking age should not be higher than the voting age if you are mature enough to vote you are mature enough to drink.

I guess proof that one has signed a contract should be required to vote then.

I mean, if one can't prove one has signed a contract one can't prove they can sign a contract.

Right?

But in reality age at which one can sign a contract varies from State to State as well as whether an individual has been granted court ordered emancipation.

What about the states that don't consider individuals sufficiently able to sign a contract until they are 19 or 21? Do you take away their right to vote until they meet those ages?

What about states that allow a 16 year old to sign a contract with parental consent?

So much to consider, so much to winnow out...

;)
Most forms of voter registration require contractual affirmation of age and residency, Lou. Even here in NH, where you can skip an ID, you have to swear an affidavit with a five year jail sentence for any falsehood in the claim.

There is no right to be granted a marriage license to “marry” a member of the same sex in the constitution, nor is there anywhere where homosexual behavior is declared equal to normal sexuality in the constitution. So this argument fails.

But really it shows that you are not in favor of democracy. To you democracy is a means to an end and if the people don’t cooperate with what you want you will just declare a non-existent “right” has been violated and use that pretext
There is nothing about man woman marriage either.

So you have absolutely no answer, you were just spouting mindless partisan drivel. Exactly what I figured.

And this was something you read from Republicans indoctrinating you. Successfully, it appears.

I've covered it in-depth many times before, the idea there is a collective teacher apparatus in America dedicated to propagandizing children to Democratic Party ideals is just stupid and anyone who regurgitates it is either in on spreading the propaganda or has never botehred to think how utterly absurd their statement is.

Which are you?

What's the difference between 16 and 360 days and 18 and 90 days? Would "no real difference" be a fair answer?
It very well could be that many teachers lean democratic. People who are dedicated to serving others often do.

Most forms of voter registration require contractual affirmation of age and residency, Lou. Even here in NH, where you can skip an ID, you have to swear an affidavit with a five year jail sentence for any falsehood in the claim.
There is nothing about man woman marriage either.

Most forms of voter registration require contractual affirmation of age and residency,
Voter registrations have nothing to do with establishing "contractural affirmation".
Plus many states allow folks to submit voter registrations when they are 17 years old as long as they show they will be 18 on or before the next Federal Election.

In New Hampshire the Age of Majority is 18.

In two states it is 19 years and 21 in a third.

Those states still allow voters at age 18.
Lou. Even here in NH, where you can skip an ID, you have to swear an affidavit with a five year jail sentence for any falsehood in the claim.
Yes, that is the case in many states, it is that way here in Idaho.

Signing an ID Affidavit is a form of ID.

Most folks don't understand that.

But most states allowing

Voter registrations have nothing to do with establishing "contractural affirmation".
Plus many states allow folks to submit voter registrations when they are 17 years old as long as they show they will be 18 on or before the next Federal Election.

In New Hampshire the Age of Majority is 18.

In two states it is 19 years and 21 in a third.

Those states still allow voters at age 18.

Yes, that is the case in many states, it is that way here in Idaho.

Signing an ID Affidavit is a form of ID.

Most folks don't understand that.

But most states allowing
Not sure what you're arguing here, Lou.

Where are the people who raise Hell about 18 yr. olds being able to buy AR15s? When you gave the vote to 18 year olds, you made them full fledged Citizens. Then you wanted them banned from weapons purchases because their unformed brains weren't mature enough for weapons ownership. But 16 year olds are mature enough to direct the future of this nation??? If they were SOLELY given a vote in School Board elections, I could maybe agree.

Also, this dumb argument further supports the existence of the Electoral College. If the Land of Fruits and Nuts chooses to let 12 year olds vote, it won't give them any more power in the EC, whereas it WOULD give them more power in a direct popular vote.

Reactions: Bum
Grace Meng (D-NY) announced today that she reintroduced legislation in the House of Representatives to lower the voting age in America to 16 years old.

Meng’s measure seeks to replace the 26th amendment to the United States Constitution with a new amendment that would allow 16- and 17-year-olds to vote.

That's really stupid. If anything, it should be raised to 25. At 16 you're not even considered an adult, and for good reason. Your brain isn't fully developed and you don't know shit. Full brain development doesn't happen until around 25.

It very well could be that many teachers lean democratic. People who are dedicated to serving others often do.
Teachers are going to lean, generally speaking, in the direction of their communities. For example, I live in a fairly conservative area and the majority of the teachers (and administrators) are conservative. There is no organized and concerted effort of teachers to install Democratic party ideals.
And round and round you go. Repeating the same arguments over and over isn't going anywhere just because you refuse to acknowledge the legal and societal reality.
I didn't repeat the arguments over and over, I illustrated why the things you said were not valid. Perhaps you misread my post?
It's the WHAT, not the WHO. Jesus Christ. lol
Yeah, I don't think you understand how what you just said is just as egregious. The "what" is protected too.
WHAT is the message?
If you don't even know, then why are you posting?

People keep bringing this up and have yet to provide a valid reason for doing so.

Circular argument.

If being taken advantage of in a one sided contract is disqualifying, then that would eliminate a LOT of people in America. For example, all the people who donated to fraudulent charities would no longer be allowed to vote.

That old people have no idea what young people can do? And that old people are biased against young people for doing the same things they regularly do? That human beings regularly like to find ways to think they are better than someone else and this is just another example.

It says a lot, but nothing that you want it to.

Again, we don't require that of 40 year olds, why do we require it of 16 year olds?
Because 16 yr olds Can mature. If a 40 yr old hasn’t yet, he/she prob’ly won’t.

That's funny coming from someone who's opposed to free speech.

Cancel culture is one of the left's shittiest accomplishments.
Liz Cheney is just the mostl well known person the R’s have canceled.

That's really stupid. If anything, it should be raised to 25. At 16 you're not even considered an adult, and for good reason. Your brain isn't fully developed and you don't know shit. Full brain development doesn't happen until around 25.
Sure let’s raise the age to 25 for joining the military, buying guns & booze, getting credit driving etc.😉

I voted other. I'm for pre-voter registration when someone under 18 obtains a driver's license or a state issued ID they are on the voter rolls when they become 18.

18 is fine. And it's only that low because we draft at that age.

No, that's horse shit.

The Constitution doesn't support anything that can damage children. LGBTQ is a ****ing menace - especially for kids.

DeSantis was right.

Get out of my century.

Most 16 year olds couldnt find more than 10 states on the U.S.map. So I'm going with NO.

Teachers are going to lean, generally speaking, in the direction of their communities. For example, I live in a fairly conservative area and the majority of the teachers (and administrators) are conservative. There is no organized and concerted effort of teachers to install Democratic party ideals.

I didn't repeat the arguments over and over, I illustrated why the things you said were not valid. Perhaps you misread my post?

Yeah, I don't think you understand how what you just said is just as egregious. The "what" is protected too.

If you don't even know, then why are you posting?
Its the same retarded bullshit, I read it just fine.

Back
Top Bottom