• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lower Health Insurance Premiums to Come at Cost of Fewer Choices

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
WASHINGTON — Federal officials often say that health insurance will cost consumers less than expected under President Obama’s health care law. But they rarely mention one big reason: many insurers are significantly limiting the choices of doctors and hospitals available to consumers.

From California to Illinois to New Hampshire, and in many states in between, insurers are driving down premiums by restricting the number of providers who will treat patients in their new health plans

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/h...s-to-come-at-cost-of-fewer-choices.html?_r=2&

Can you say Rationed Care boys and girls

Hey liberals what was it your messiah promised us again "You can keep your doctor" "you can keep your insurance plan"

do you ever get tired of being lied to by your POS

You do know liberals when you have lost the NYT when they actually start telling the truth you are in deep ****

Last edited:
Wait a minute..

Healthcare has always been rationed in the US, usually by the level of your wealth, but also by your insurance company. And you did not have your choice of ALL doctors in your area.. only those approved by your insurance company which is exactly what you are complaining about... so how is this any different other than it is now cheaper?

And you did not have your choice of ALL doctors in your area.. only those approved by your insurance company

That is incorrect. Out-of-network doctors generally carry a larger copay, but you have access to any doctor you want.

And if you just want to pay cash for a visit, there is no problem at all.

so how is this any different other than it is now cheaper?

Who told you it was "now cheaper"? "Less than expected" merely means not as much MORE EXPENSIVE as thought.

Wait a minute..

Healthcare has always been rationed in the US, usually by the level of your wealth, but also by your insurance company. And you did not have your choice of ALL doctors in your area.. only those approved by your insurance company which is exactly what you are complaining about... so how is this any different other than it is now cheaper?

Hey, stop making sense. We're trying to rage here.

That is incorrect. Out-of-network doctors generally carry a larger copay, but you have access to any doctor you want.

Depends on the company you are with. Plus you said it yourself... larger copay, meaning it is your choice and it comes at an increased cost.

Of course not, but you paying cash means you dont need your insurance company and hence the OP "OMFGS" is kinda irrelevant still.... since you can choose whatever doctor and hospital, as long as you pay for it...

Who told you it was "now cheaper"? "Less than expected" merely means not as much MORE EXPENSIVE as thought.

Well with the system you have that is not unsurprising.

what you have is called an MMO plan that most who have it hate it

Depends on the company you are with. Plus you said it yourself... larger copay, meaning it is your choice and it comes at an increased cost.

Of course not, but you paying cash means you dont need your insurance company and hence the OP "OMFGS" is kinda irrelevant still.... since you can choose whatever doctor and hospital, as long as you pay for it...

Hey liberals what was it your messiah promised us again "You can keep your doctor" "you can keep your insurance plan"

this train wreck was sold to the American Public on a lie. If a company would have done the same you could return the product for a full refund or sue and win

Last edited:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/h...s-to-come-at-cost-of-fewer-choices.html?_r=2&

You do know liberals when you have lost the NYT when they actually start telling the truth you are in deep ****

You probably should have read your source beyond the headline. This is only for people who get their insurance from the Exchanges, so your keep your doctor and insurance plan thing are silly. Further, this is for lower income people, which means it is better than what they have. No rationing, no forced change of insurance because of this.

this train wreck was sold to the American Public on a lie. If a company would have done the same you could return the product for a full refund or sue and win

Read your source. This does not force you to change insurance or doctor.

The leftist have always wanted to ration medicine. Just the middle class' and poors though not the elites - you know the exempt class of govt employees, bureaucrats and uber rich are all exempt. This is just rationing of the middle class / poor health care systems with no expansion either.

I don't - I'm limited to who I can go to. They have to accept my insurance.

OR I pay out of pocket 100%.

The leftist have always wanted to ration medicine. Just the middle class' and poors though not the elites - you know the exempt class of govt employees, bureaucrats and uber rich are all exempt. This is just rationing of the middle class / poor health care systems with no expansion either.

You have proof of these exemptions?

You probably should have read your source beyond the headline. This is only for people who get their insurance from the Exchanges, so your keep your doctor and insurance plan thing are silly. Further, this is for lower income people, which means it is better than what they have. No rationing, no forced change of insurance because of this.

Yeah? Tell me how GE, Home Depot, Sea World, and a host of other big companies dropping their insurance benefit altogether is not a forced change of insurance to those people? Premiums going up, companies either cutting the benefit, or cutting hours to fall under the 30 hour full time provision, not to mention that this 2800 page monstrosity is causing such uncertainty that most companies are just sitting on their business and hurting the economy.

Good job progressives, you are succeeding at killing America. Be proud.

Depends on the company you are with.

I've never seen one that was different.

Plus you said it yourself... larger copay, meaning it is your choice and it comes at an increased cost.

So? You still have access. You said we didn't.

:shrug: Backpedal if you need to.

It still is not what you said. You thought it was actually going to be cheaper.

I don't - I'm limited to who I can go to. They have to accept my insurance.

OR I pay out of pocket 100%.

OK, so there's one example. No insurance plan I've been on has been that way, though. It's always been mainstream providers like Aetna and Blue Cross.

Yeah? Tell me how GE, Home Depot, Sea World, and a host of other big companies dropping their insurance benefit altogether is not a forced change of insurance to those people? Premiums going up, companies either cutting the benefit, or cutting hours to fall under the 30 hour full time provision, not to mention that this 2800 page monstrosity is causing such uncertainty that most companies are just sitting on their business and hurting the economy.

Go read the last 3 words in the post of mine you quoted. They are important.

And over the top hyperbole is LoLz...

:lamo

If America is dead, you'd better move somewhere quick.

I've never seen one that was different.

So you have seen all the insurance companies terms and conditions in all 50 states?

So? You still have access. You said we didn't.

No I said that the insurance company defined who you had access to.. on their dime. Go outside that list, and you either pay full price or a penalty. Big difference. The claim of the OP was that there was "limiting of choice", which is not true. The choice has always been there, but how much you pay for that choice depends on the insurance company.

:shrug: Backpedal if you need to.

I am not the one backpedaling :)

It still is not what you said. You thought it was actually going to be cheaper.

I did? Where did I write that..or can you read my thoughts? Nothing gets cheaper, especially in a private run healthcare system in the most capitalistic egocentric country on the planet. Now it might not go up by nearly as much as it would have before the law, and yes that is a "saving", aka cheaper for the consumer in relation to being without the law. That has to come down as a plus no?

Or do you really think that the GOP has a plan or any idea on brining DOWN the cost of healthcare? hahahahaha yea right.

Go read the last 3 words in the post of mine you quoted. They are important.

And over the top hyperbole is LoLz...

Because of this are your last 3 words, and I said exactly what is going on today
"Because of this"....So what are you laughing at Red? Is there a mirror near?

and many many companies are dropping there company provided health care and forcing the employees and or spouses/family into the exchanges

Home Depot 20,000
Home Depot Drops Big Obamacare Surprise on 20,000 Employees | TheBlaze.com

UPS 15,000 spouses
UPS to drop 15,000 workers' spouses from insurance, blames Obamacare - Aug. 21, 2013

Walgreen’s decision affects about 160,000 current employees and follows similar action this year by Sears Holdings Corp. (SHLD) and Darden Restaurants Inc. (DRI) As an alternative to administering a traditional health plan, all three will send their employees to an exchange run byAon Plc. (AON) Fourteen more companies will join in 2014 when 600,000 people will participate, Aon said.
Video: Walgreens to dump employee coverage for 160,000 « Hot Air

22,000 senior citizens just lost their health plan with Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
22,000 lose their health insurance due to Obamacare, as healthcare costs rise - Washington DC SCOTUS | Examiner.com

Congressional Budget Office (CBO). The CBO published an entire report dedicated to estimating the loss of employer-sponsored insurance (ESI). Attempting to model employer behavior, its low-end projection was that 5 million people will lose ESI. Under a different scenario, as many as 20 million fewer Americans could have ESI by 2019.
McKinsey and Company. McKinsey, another consulting firm, found that “30 percent of employers will definitely or probably stop offering ESI in the years after 2014.”
American Action Forum. Douglas Holtz-Eakin, former CBO director and president of the American Action Forum, estimated that Obamacare “provides strong incentives for employers—with the agreement of their employees—to drop employer-sponsored health insurance for as many as 35 million Americans.”
What Are the Odds Your Employer Will Drop Health Coverage? | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

Because of this are your last 3 words, and I said exactly what is going on today
"Because of this"....So what are you laughing at Red? Is there a mirror near?

The story is about the insurance exchanges, and because of those(see, that would be, you know, the topic of the thread) no one is being rationed or forced to change doctors.

Back
Top Bottom