• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Low carb diet, anybody?

Grandpappy

America First Populist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Anybody else try to follow Atkins or Keto? It’s basically just a low carbohydrate diet. It always works for me, but after about 6 months I start really craving carbs and gain the weight back. I just went back on the low carb thing myself. You?

Anybody else try to follow Atkins or Keto? It’s basically just a low carbohydrate diet. It always works for me, but after about 6 months I start really craving carbs and gain the weight back. I just went back on the low carb thing myself. You?

Perhaps I should but I am not going to. I am of Persian background and rice dishes are a mainstay for me. Plus my wife is on a baking kick and I am not going to turn down chocolate cake.

Last edited:
Keto is easy for me and it works for me. High carbs put me in zombie land, make me sluggish. High protein foods are just the opposite for me. I have tons of energy compared to a low carb diet.

Smoking meat and grilling are two things I really enjoy doing. I have 3 smokers and 2 grills. Yeah, that's overkill. But I do use them all, just not all at once. Point is when I get tired of eating something I'll switch meats or styles and try something else. I never get tired of it. My wife on the other hand functions better on carbs and eats meat only occassionally.

During lockdow we've compromised and not sacrificed. We both like fish so we are eating a lot more fish with salads. I stay on Keto and she stays on Mediterranean food, which she likes.

I love carbs. I could eat rice 3 meals a day. I like pasta. I could easily eat an entire pie for breakfast and have more than once. But Keto is easy and it's best for me. I eat cauliflower "rice", except on an occasional cheat day.

Have you tried making "fat bombs"? They're easy to make depending on what you make and they satisfy my sweet carb cravings.

Perhaps I should but I am not going to. I am of Persian background and rice dishes are a mainstay for me. Plus my wife is on a baking kick and I am not going to turn down chocolate cake.

Persian food is awesome. I really like it. My favorite restaurant in Phoenix is owned and managed by a guy from Iran. He is always in the kitchen either cooking or overseeing. To him every meal is a work of art. He is immensely proud of his heritage and culture and you can tell that he feels responsible for conveying some of the best his former country has to offer. For me, it is a pleasure to eat at his restaurant. The food is always perfect. The owner is a hell of nice guy.

Persian food is awesome. I really like it. My favorite restaurant in Phoenix is owned and managed by a guy from Iran. He is always in the kitchen either cooking or overseeing. To him every meal is a work of art. He is immensely proud of his heritage and culture and you can tell that he feels responsible for conveying some of the best his former country has to offer. For me, it is a pleasure to eat at his restaurant. The food is always perfect. The owner is a hell of nice guy.

I'm glad you have gotten to enjoy it. Hopefully he is able to keep his place open. There are not many Persian restaurants in my neck of the woods, so other than my Mom's home cooking I am the one who makes the Persian dishes in my household, mainly khoresh (stew on rice). Otherwise we enjoy the rather large number of spots down in L.A. when we go down to visit.

Do not do Atkins alone. You need medical monitoring. Things can go south in multiple ways fast. It also requires a lot more work to do right than most websites would have you believe. It is truly difficult to get the nutrition you need with as little daily carbs as is required.

Much better to avoid processed foods and focus on fiber/protein heavy pastas, drop things like bagels, no more soda or caloric drink (other than booze or vegetable juices, if you're me), stop eating deserts, etc.

Edamame pasta (or black bean) has very few carbs and is almost all protein/fiber. Red lentil is a step down. More carbs, but less heavy.

Edamame:

81cSm1m1ddL._SL1500_.jpg

Red Lentil:

81Fc3z8Qe8L._SL1500_.jpg

Whole wheat:

819ZwlcPUlL._SL1500_.jpg

tl;dr

Jettison useless calories

If that doesn't work, do something else. But really, if you do not eat cake for 2 months, you won't want cake anymore. And if you have it, it will taste disgustingly sweet.

Last edited:

Why not make it a lifestyle change instead of a "diet?" Reduction in caloric intake, increase in exertion? If you get uber geeky about it, you can focus more on macros.

Keto is easy for me and it works for me. High carbs put me in zombie land, make me sluggish. High protein foods are just the opposite for me. I have tons of energy compared to a low carb diet.

Smoking meat and grilling are two things I really enjoy doing. I have 3 smokers and 2 grills. Yeah, that's overkill. But I do use them all, just not all at once. Point is when I get tired of eating something I'll switch meats or styles and try something else. I never get tired of it. My wife on the other hand functions better on carbs and eats meat only occassionally.

During lockdow we've compromised and not sacrificed. We both like fish so we are eating a lot more fish with salads. I stay on Keto and she stays on Mediterranean food, which she likes.

I love carbs. I could eat rice 3 meals a day. I like pasta. I could easily eat an entire pie for breakfast and have more than once. But Keto is easy and it's best for me. I eat cauliflower "rice", except on an occasional cheat day.

Have you tried making "fat bombs"? They're easy to make depending on what you make and they satisfy my sweet carb cravings.

Fat bombs?

Why not make it a lifestyle change instead of a "diet?" Reduction in caloric intake, increase in exertion? If you get uber geeky about it, you can focus more on macros.

Atkins is easier because I like the food, and calories are secondary with Atkins. I do exercise, bike riding 10 or 20 miles a week. Not much, but something.

Do not do Atkins alone. You need medical monitoring. Things can go south in multiple ways fast. It also requires a lot more work to do right than most websites would have you believe. It is truly difficult to get the nutrition you need with as little daily carbs as is required.

Much better to avoid processed foods and focus on fiber/protein heavy pastas, drop things like bagels, no more soda or caloric drink (other than booze or vegetable juices, if you're me), stop eating deserts, etc.

Edamame pasta (or black bean) has very few carbs and is almost all protein/fiber. Red lentil is a step down. More carbs, but less heavy.

Edamame:

81cSm1m1ddL._SL1500_.jpg

Red Lentil:

81Fc3z8Qe8L._SL1500_.jpg

Whole wheat:

819ZwlcPUlL._SL1500_.jpg

tl;dr

If that doesn't work, do something else. But really, if you do not eat cake for 2 months, you won't want cake anymore. And if you have it, it will taste disgustingly sweet.

Useless calories? For me, that's beer. That's a hard one to stop.

anyone tried intermittent fasting? Is it really so great as everybody says?

ALL diets are useless!

I cut sugar and carbs in June. I only shop in the perimeter of the supermarket. Never buy any processed junk from the center. Gave up a lifelong Diet Coke addiction.

Never felt better in my life. I have the energy of a 25 year old. Shit you not.

Edamame:

81cSm1m1ddL._SL1500_.jpg

Red Lentil:

81Fc3z8Qe8L._SL1500_.jpg

Whole wheat:

819ZwlcPUlL._SL1500_.jpg

tl;dr

I concur. I couldn’t imagine eating any kind of sugar-filled dessert now. I’m already trying to revamp my holiday dishes to healthier options.

I leave out breakfast.
Personally, I lost more weight after I started eating a large, protein heavy breakfast. Doing that caused me to snack less during the day and I no longer craved large meals before bed. Since adopting that plan I have dropped more than 70lbs. If I manage to get back to a regular exercise routine too I can likely drop another 70.

I did keto for about a year and lost 25 lbs. Then when I started lifting weights, I started having major blood sugar issues. Now I am doing paleo and am lifting weights (since May) but have gained nearly 10 lbs even though my arms and legs are smaller (stomach and chest have stayed the same) and I am staring to see veins and definition in places. Now the only thing I really kept from my keto days is my fake bread recipe (except for substituting oat husk for the flax since the flax gives me major gas): https://lowcarbinspirations.com/deidres-low-carb-bread-recipe-made-keto/

my energy levels are through the roof though and I am happy with any diet that allows me to eat a lot of meat. ... also whiskey!

Last edited:
I do a 2-3 day water fast a couple of times a month right now along with regular exercise. I'm in better shape than I was at 20 in the military.

I concur. I couldn’t imagine eating any kind of sugar-filled dessert now. I’m already trying to revamp my holiday dishes to healthier options.
I tried some sprite the other day and spit it out. TOO SWEET

I did keto for about a year and lost 25 lbs. Then when I started lifting weights, I started having major blood sugar issues. Now I am doing paleo and am lifting weights (since May) but have gained nearly 10 lbs even though my arms and legs are smaller (stomach and chest have stayed the same) and I am staring to see veins and definition in places. Now the only thing I really kept from my keto days is my fake bread recipe (except for substituting oat husk for the flax since the flax gives me major gas): https://lowcarbinspirations.com/deidres-low-carb-bread-recipe-made-keto/

my energy levels are through the roof though and I am happy with any diet that allows me to eat a lot of meat. ... also whiskey!

I miss my beer. I used to drink a couple of beers a night, sitting in the sun porch, listening to music. Started noticing that after I drank beer, I wouldn’t lose. Cut the beer, started losing again. I found out that the metabolism process has to go through the alcohol before it hits the fat, so the more you drink, the longer it takes to start burning fat.

Bye, bye, beer.

I miss my beer. I used to drink a couple of beers a night, sitting in the sun porch, listening to music. Started noticing that after I drank beer, I wouldn’t lose. Cut the beer, started losing again. I found out that the metabolism process has to go through the alcohol before it hits the fat, so the more you drink, the longer it takes to start burning fat.

Bye, bye, beer.
... whiskey (seriously, its actually keto compliant)

Back
Top Bottom