• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Loving Husband Will Make Millions

You know what sickens me? That the husband will make millions, but not because of the fact that he makes all this money, but the fact that enough people care enough about Schiavo to actually buy whatever her husband is making, people should be reading things on economics so they can decide if the economic decisions made by their elected officials are actually good for the economy. Millions of voters don't know basic economic principles and laws, and are too short sighted politically to the connect the dots through time.

Why are you guys arguing over something so UTTERLY POINTLESS? Lady dies, there weren't chances of her revival, so what? A person die every couple of seconds or so......

aps said:
Andrew, what is particularly interesting is that Bush flew in the middle of the night to DC from his little ol' ranch in Crawford to sign a stupid piece of legislation which intruded into someone's private matter and involved only ONE PERSON, but there he sat while people drowned in New Orleans and Mississippi. He's a great Christian guy, isn't he?

Also, APS, President Bush, when he was governor of Texas, signed legislation known as the 'Right to Die' bill.

Bill Frist, a big Terri supporter, when he was a practicing physician, was involved in 'unplugging' many patients who were ill and had no hope of improvement.

Tom Delay, a huge proponent of the Terri bill, actually had his father 'unplugged' after he was terribly injured in an accident.

Mel Martinez wrote a memo about how well Republicans would fare at the voting booths due to their action in the Schiavo case.

Did they 'err on the side of life?' Or did they cynically and deliberately attempt to puff up their voting base?

KCConservative said:
Nope and nowhere did I even suggest that. He is free to write any books he likes.

God damn right he is. And he is also free to start TerriPAC, an organization that will keep the names of the politicians who subverted Florida law fresh in our memory.

tryreading said:
God damn right he is. And he is also free to start TerriPAC, an organization that will keep the names of the politicians who subverted Florida law fresh in our memory.
Yep. And I am free to start a thread explaining why I think he is scum. ;) Oh, would you mind saving the profanity for the basement? Thanks.

Synch said:
You know what sickens me? That the husband will make millions, but not because of the fact that he makes all this money, but the fact that enough people care enough about Schiavo to actually buy whatever her husband is making, people should be reading things on economics so they can decide if the economic decisions made by their elected officials are actually good for the economy. Millions of voters don't know basic economic principles and laws, and are too short sighted politically to the connect the dots through time.

Why are you guys arguing over something so UTTERLY POINTLESS? Lady dies, there weren't chances of her revival, so what? A person die every couple of seconds or so......

It is critical that we keep the government out of our private lives. That's what this is about.

KCConservative said:
Yep. And I am free to start a thread explaining why I think he is scum. ;) Oh, would you mind saving the profanity for the basement? Thanks.

I've never been to the basement, don't care for that type of thing. Also, I don't think God Damn is profane.

KCConservative said:
Nor did I say everyone must capitulate. Since when am I not entitled to my own opinion?
On this site, you present argument with actual argumentative premise. If all you want to present opinion, there're other sites for that. Face it, you can't stomach opposing arguments which is why, as you admit, to present only partisan rhetoric. Lame.

tryreading said:
I've never been to the basement, don't care for that type of thing. Also, I don't think God Damn is profane.
I think you'll find that it is....at least that is where threads with such language are sent.

KCConservative said:

Would you mind doing the same? I quote you again...

KCConservative said:
...smartass

Thanks.

jfuh said:
On this site, you present argument with actual argumentative premise. If all you want to present opinion, there're other sites for that. Face it, you can't stomach opposing arguments which is why, as you admit, to present only partisan rhetoric. Lame.
Not that you're flame baiting or anything, right? I know how much you hate that. Sorry, jfug, but opinions are allowed here. Nothing you can do about it.

KCConservative said:
You're free indeed to say whatever you want. Just don't act so surprised when you're met with confrontation, especially on DP.

jfuh said:
You're free indeed to say whatever you want. Just don't act so surprised when you're met with confrontation, especially on DP.
I'm not surprised at all, nor am I opposed to confrontation. Just opposed to flame-baiting, as I know you are.

Moderator's Warning:
jfuh, kccconservative-

You two need to stop. Now.

You've both been sniping at each other for far too long. It's time to grow up, and if you can't handle that, its time to shut up. I don't care who's at fault now, who started it, or who wants to finish it. If it doesn't stop now, there will be suspensions. This is a final warning to both of you.

KCConservative said:
I think you'll find that it is....at least that is where threads with such language are sent.

The Republican party has changed. They want more control over personal rights, they are completely fiscally irresponsible... The things they were good at have been lost. Not that I think the Democratic party is any better. I won't be a member of either one right now.

By the way, this site tends to block out profanity, and they haven't done that to GD. Neither has the FCC, yet, although they are currently being pressured to control language more than ever.

KCConservative said:
If there is something you want me to read, jfuh, then link it. I can't read your mind. Or was the "try reading" remark just a way for you to flame? hmmm? Afterall, I once saw in a thread a list of your flames, so we all know it's your MO. So quit being a jerk.

Michael Shaivo lived with his new girlfriend long before he ever divorced Terri.

Do tell, I'd love to know how one is able to derive the spiritual and emotional fullfillment that spousal love brings from a breathing corpse.

Michael Schiavo is a brave man. He took on the moralists of America and all their rumour-mongering to fulfill the wishes of his first love, when there was nothing to be personally gained from it. In fact, he rejected massive monetary rewards offered to him in exchange for cedeing his guardianship to her parents (urgh... way to show how much they respect her humanity, by attempting to buy her).

tryreading said:
Also, APS, President Bush, when he was governor of Texas, signed legislation known as the 'Right to Die' bill.

Bill Frist, a big Terri supporter, when he was a practicing physician, was involved in 'unplugging' many patients who were ill and had no hope of improvement.

Tom Delay, a huge proponent of the Terri bill, actually had his father 'unplugged' after he was terribly injured in an accident.

Mel Martinez wrote a memo about how well Republicans would fare at the voting booths due to their action in the Schiavo case.

Did they 'err on the side of life?' Or did they cynically and deliberately attempt to puff up their voting base?

Excellent points. Let's not forget that a memo was found that was written by a staffer of a republican senator, where he recommended that they use the Terri Schiavo case for political purposes.

Counsel to GOP Senator Wrote Memo On Schiavo
Martinez Aide Who Cited Upside For Party Resigns
By Mike Allen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, April 7, 2005; Page A01

The legal counsel to Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) admitted yesterday that he was the author of a memo citing the political advantage to Republicans of intervening in the case of Terri Schiavo, the senator said in an interview last night.

Brian H. Darling, 39, a former lobbyist for the Alexander Strategy Group on gun rights and other issues, offered his resignation and it was immediately accepted, Martinez said.

Martinez, the GOP's Senate point man on the issue, said he earlier had been assured by aides that his office had nothing to do with producing the memo. "I never did an investigation, as such," he said. "I just took it for granted that we wouldn't be that stupid. It was never my intention to in any way politicize this issue."

Martinez, a freshman who was secretary of housing and urban development for most of President Bush's first term, said he had not read the one-page memo. He said he inadvertently passed it to Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), who had worked with him on the issue. After that, officials gave the memo to reporters for ABC News and The Washington Post.

Harkin said in an interview that Martinez handed him the memo on the Senate floor, in hopes of gaining his support for the bill giving federal courts jurisdiction in the Florida case in an effort to restore the brain-damaged Florida woman's feeding tube. "He said these were talking points -- something that we're working on here," Harkin said. . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32554-2005Apr6.html

How disgusting.

On August 27, 2004, my father in law fell in the middle of the night, and severly injured his head. By 11am the next day, 75% of his brain was hindered by a hemorrhage that even surgery could not contain. At that point, it was up to our family to determine what was in the best interest for us, as well as him. It really was a no brainer. He had a long standing DNR, and the time we'd already kept him on life support, had violated that. However, what makes my father in law my hero, is the fact that he wanted to be an organ donor. He chose, in life, to think of others, in his death. In the end, 5 other people were able to continue living, despite our family's pain and grief.

When the whole Terri Schiavo case and court battles happened, it was raw. This woman was no more special than my father in law. This woman was no more important than my father in law. And yet, there was a battle over her life. It's sad.. sad that people felt they had a RIGHT to intrude on the agonizing decisions of a family. Like it or not... the husband ALWAYS has a priority over the family, unless it can be proven the husband has acted with criminal intent. Isn't that the rule of marriage? 2 people leave their families, to become one. It was sickening, I'm sorry for Terri's parent's that they lost their daughter, but they were JUST as bad as the government for this whole fiasco. They should have let her die in peace, not decide to make a spectacle of her.

debate_junkie said:
On August 27, 2004, my father in law fell in the middle of the night, and severly injured his head. By 11am the next day, 75% of his brain was hindered by a hemorrhage that even surgery could not contain. At that point, it was up to our family to determine what was in the best interest for us, as well as him. It really was a no brainer. He had a long standing DNR, and the time we'd already kept him on life support, had violated that. However, what makes my father in law my hero, is the fact that he wanted to be an organ donor. He chose, in life, to think of others, in his death. In the end, 5 other people were able to continue living, despite our family's pain and grief.

That is a beautiful story, debate junkie. Wow. It sounds like a heart-wrenching story, and I am sorry you and your husband's family had to go through that. I love that 5 other people benefitted from your father-in-law's generosity. This only confirms my decision to be an organ donor.

When the whole Terri Schiavo case and court battles happened, it was raw. This woman was no more special than my father in law. This woman was no more important than my father in law. And yet, there was a battle over her life. It's sad.. sad that people felt they had a RIGHT to intrude on the agonizing decisions of a family. Like it or not... the husband ALWAYS has a priority over the family, unless it can be proven the husband has acted with criminal intent. Isn't that the rule of marriage? 2 people leave their families, to become one. It was sickening, I'm sorry for Terri's parent's that they lost their daughter, but they were JUST as bad as the government for this whole fiasco. They should have let her die in peace, not decide to make a spectacle of her.

See my post above. It was solely for political purposes, which is truly, truly appalling.

aps said:
That is a beautiful story, debate junkie. Wow. It sounds like a heart-wrenching story, and I am sorry you and your husband's family had to go through that. I love that 5 other people benefitted from your father-in-law's generosity. This only confirms my decision to be an organ donor.

See my post above. It was solely for political purposes, which is truly, truly appalling.

Thank you aps. They should have known better. Politicizing this case was only going to polarize the country more. If I learned anything from Terri, it's to have a written DNR order. With a piece of paper that has my signature on it, there can be no room for speculation as to my intentions.

debate_junkie said:

And another thing that makes the fiasco more ridiculous is the fact that thousands of people in similar situations to Terri Schiavo, who, like her, have absolutely no chance of any improvement whatsoever, are taken off life support every year inthis country. Like Tom Delay's father.

aps said:
Excellent points. Let's not forget that a memo was found that was written by a staffer of a republican senator, where he recommended that they use the Terri Schiavo case for political purposes.

How disgusting.

Yes, that's what I was talking about, the Martinez memo.

Senator Martinez, think he is hypocritical much?

vergiss said:
Michael Schiavo is a brave man. He took on the moralists of America and all their rumour-mongering to fulfill the wishes of his first love, when there was nothing to be personally gained from it. In fact, he rejected massive monetary rewards offered to him in exchange for cedeing his guardianship to her parents (urgh... way to show how much they respect her humanity, by attempting to buy her).

At one point he was offered $1 million dollars to give up his cause.

KCConservative said:
On the anniversary of Terri Shaivo's senseless death, her "loving husband" has written a tell-all book and is set to reap millions in book royalties. No doubt, he and his extra-marital lover (the one he shacked up with while Terri fought for her life) will retire wealthy people from this book. What a guy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0525949461/002-1020304-7895218?v=glance&n=283155

KC, I've gone over this thread again, and I can't find any posts from others that agree with you. Seriously, where are the people who believed that Terri should have been allowed to live?

tryreading said:
KC, I've gone over this thread again, and I can't find any posts from others that agree with you. Seriously, where are the people who believed that Terri should have been allowed to live?
Oh, was I required to rally support for my opinion? Did I say I would show a majority of this kind? Are you bored this afternoon, tryreading? Nothing better do do than flame-bait? :lol: If you're interested in finding others who believe Michael Shaivo is a pig, then go find them. I really don't care.

Last edited:
KCConservative said:
Oh, was I required to rally support for my opinion? Did I say I would show a majority of this kind? Are you bored this afternoon, tryreading? Nothing better do do than flame-bait? :lol: If you're interested in finding others who believe Michael Shaivo is a pig, then go find them. I really don't care.

Well, I'm not baiting. My question was serious, but maybe rhetorical. Its just that I'm kind of baffled that there aren't more of them posting on this thread. Didn't mean to imply its your fault.

Back
Top Bottom